“Not quite up to scratch this time”

Cedar Falls Health Farm
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
london
“Not quite up to scratch this time”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We have stayed here on several occasions in the last year and it has always been a pleasant and relaxing experience. This time the place looked a bit run down. Our room badly needed refurbishing and looked quite shabbynandnthe ceiling was dirty. As on previous visits the staff were charming and helpful. The food in the restaurant was good enough and waiting staff were excellent Our treatments were good and our therapist very professional. The common areas of the hotel were warm and inviting. The hotel really needs to get its act together regarding the updating and decoration of its bedrooms since it affects the whole ambience and reputation of a wonderful property.

Room Tip: Superior rooms are much larger
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Member888
Victoria J, Assistant Manager at Cedar Falls Health Farm, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear Member888,

Thank you for your recent review.

We have recently started a refurbishment programme in the bedrooms which will bring them up to a high standard.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your treatments and the food.

Kind regards,

Victoria

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Reviewed 6 December 2013

We stayed for 2 nights (winter offer). The food and staff were fine but our room was terrible. It was no. 37 or 38 (just wont to forget it) up in the loft. It was a tiny twin room with no room to move around and you hit your head on the sloping ceiling when ever you tried to move around. The wallpaper was peeling off the walls, lumps of wood and paint missing out of the window frame which would not open or close properly. The blind at the window when pulled down was covered in stains (looked like food) and there were cobwebs in corners of the room and the light shade was covered in cobwebs which must have been there for months to have got that bad. The shower/toilet was so small it was even difficult to get in the door to be able to close it before going to the loo. We have been going to Cedar Falls for about 10 years and it has never been this bad before. I know they are refurbishing some of the rooms at the moment but that is no excuse to put us in this tiny, dirty room. We have both come home with bruises on our heads from the ceiling. We save all year to be able to have 2 nights away and this time the money was totally wasted as we did not enjoy it at all. You are supposed to come home feeling stress free and relaxed, we were just angry and bruised. Also the TV did not work did tell reception but no one came to fix it. This is all such a same because our pass visits have been lovely and we look forward to our yearly visit. Don't think we will be going again will find somewhere else to go.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Julieshelley
Dear Julieshelley,

Thank you for your recent review.

I am saddened to read your review as a returning guest. We are renovating some of the bedrooms meaning that we are limited with the rooms we have remaining.

I wish that you had reaised your concerns during your stay so we could have rectified the problems and ensured that you had a newly renovated room so you could experience first hand what we have been creating when you returned.

Victoria

Travellers are raving about these Taunton hotels

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

My Mother bought me vouchers to have my nails done and a spray tan a few days before my wedding, it's taken me this long to even look the spa up and write a review I was so upset. The building is beautiful from the outside however inside is dirty, dated and mismatched. We had a spa day which included lunch, the lunch tasted like cheap bulk cooking and was bland the service was slow, we then went to the "spa" which is really some old rooms they've stuck some chairs in, my nails were done first however no slippers were provided so I had to walk around in bare feet whilst waiting for my spray tan, the tan was streaky and because my nails had just been den the tan clung to the nails and ruined the look. When I got home my shellac nails obviously hadn't had enough time to dry and had smudged and I had to scrub my tan off because it was so poor. All in all I then had to spend out to get my nails redone properly and had streaky tan for my wedding day which meant I couldn't wear the shoes I'd bought because my feet were so streaky and had to wear a pair to cover them as I wore a knee length dress. I never complained at the time because I was so upset I just wanted to forget about the experience but someone asked me about it and I felt compelled to write a review.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Keyring17
Dear Keyring17,

Thank you for your recent review.

I am saddened to read that you did not enjoy your experience at Cedar Falls Health Farm & Spa. I do however wish that you raised your concerns on your day so we could have rectified your treatment experiences in time for your wedding.

Plymouth
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I went along to a top to toe spa day with my Mum and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The staff were friendly and it was relaxed and chilled out from the word go. Some of the rooms need updating but I think they are in the process of renovating it now. I would definitely recommend this spa for a day or a weekend retreat :)

Room Tip: They are renovating the rooms at the moment so maybe ask for one of the newly renovated rooms.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear DaisyB1990,

Thank you for your recent review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent Top To Toe Day with your Mum.

We are currently renovating some of the bedrooms, so it is lovely to hear that you would recommend Cedar Falls Health Farm & Spa for a weekend retreat.

Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Cedar Falls is a great place to stay for everything that I like best. That is, Good Staff that make you feel very welcome. Excellent meals and service. Kate, Sue and Ian are encouraging in the exercise classes and walks, Ians evening talk is also worthwhile, informative and fun. The maintenance gents are busy with updating and redecorating but it certainly doesn't intrude on the relaxing atmosphere in the house. The Spa has all the treatments you can think of and the girls in the new shop know their products and are vey helpful. The grounds are lovely with good views from our bedroom out over the surrounding countryside. Hope to be able to return soon.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank dorset11
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Location: 20 mins drive on slow road from M5 in quiet rural area with lovely views
Property: Stunning country house with small grounds
Service: Restaurant staff exemplar in every way - made to feel so welcome. Porter very friendly and helpful. Rest of team lacklustre and spa booking team disinterested
Food: Some excellent quality and some not so good, very limited menu choices especially if want smaller lunch snack at the bar food area. Food definately not as good as prior visits. Cakes very good indeed also available at bar
Rooms: Large but poorly designed and in need of a refurbishment especially bathrooms
Facilities:Ok but not amazing.Pool area quite dark, gym and exercise rooms ok but not huge. Small shop. Lovely relax areas and lounge where they have give evening talks (which does limit evening if you do not want the talk as not many other spaces. Great outdoor terrace however garden needs some work.
Treatments: Good facial, excellent natural treatment of Indian head massage.I have visited before and found the natural therapies with visiting specialists far superior to the in house beauty treatments. Spa booking team not efficient though and errors made for second time so care to double check before arrival
Overall: I would visit again but it is frustrating that this could be so much better with more investment and effort

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank seapink12
Dorchester
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I cannot praise Cedar Fall highly enough. The reason for my visit was to have a rest, relax, exercise and have a bit of a detox from eating too many biscuits. (Just as well be truthful !). Head Chef Mayla is the best, the meals are excellent which means I have arrived home feeling much healthier and lighter!! All the staff are first class and I couldn't single out any one department, they are all professional and friendly. The newly decorated reception is very smart and I believe the bedrooms are in the process of being refurbished. Our bedroom was comfortable and clean. The house itself is charming and the grounds are beautiful. The trees are looking wonderful with the autumn colours. At Cedar Falls there is the opportunity to do as much or as little as you wish making it a really good choice for a Health Farm/Spa stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Gillian H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taunton
The Mount Somerset Hotel
#9 of 17 in Taunton
Blorenge House
Blorenge House
#11 of 17 in Taunton

Been to Cedar Falls Health Farm? Share your experiences!