“Added insult to injury”

Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
London, United Kingdom
“Added insult to injury”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My mother of 60 and I decided it was the perfect time of year to go away and enjoy a relaxing spa break. Unfortunately within only 1 hour of being at Cedar Falls we discovered that not only did one member of staff show a complete lack of customer service, but was also very rude to us and later on revealed a deceiving nature. As we entered the 'Oasis of Tranquility' there was relaxation beds and music, also a 'Quiet Room' and opposite this was a large room with a basin and some locked treatment rooms, there were then some open rooms with lava lamps and flotation beds with damp used pool towels on, my mother and I decided to start with the dry float beds, within 5 minutes a spa assistant came over to us abruptly and said we needed to leave as these were for treatments only, we apologized profusely, and made our way to leave and asked where the signs were to say that this was a treatment only area (there were none) and she continued to say that they had been made up, the beds were not made up as they had wet used towels on them, but she continued to argued very unprofessionally with my mother to say that she had to go to effort and prepare them again, she was very cold and blunt with no understanding of why we'd thought we could use the beds.This experience was very unwelcoming and not acceptable as the beds were turned on and in the public area with no signage to explain otherwise. We immediately were made to feel like 2 naughty school children, had the situation been held with professionalism and a sense of customer service, we wouldn't have walked away feeling so unwelcome and inconveniencing.We continued to use the services throughout and put it behind us, we enjoyed the cool indoor poor with waterfall and the hot bubbling Jacuzzi, we ordered a afternoon tea in the rose garden where we overlooked stunning views of traditional English country side. Spectacular views and wonderful dining were the highlights of our overnight stay.The bedding was of high quality and was very comfortable and clean. The spa facilities were very average, I was disappointed that neither steam rooms seemed to be working well or at all, I tried to use a shower that wasn't working, when things aren't working its nice to be told or to have a small notice/sign on to tell you. The same Spa assistant that had shewed us away from the relaxation area had seen me looking for my pool towel when she told me that she'd put it in the laundry bin and this laundry bin was upstairs in the beauty clinic reception. I thought this was very unhelpful and unkind of her, as nobody would want to use the same towel that had been mixed up in the dirty laundry bin, there was no offer to even tell me where to get a fresh towel, let alone find one for me, again a small confrontational almost rude conversation, with this member staff left me feeling as if customer service wasn't important to the Spa. I have to comment that I've been to many Health Spas worldwide and the facilities and maintenance were not up to scratch. Upon leaving we realised that we had been billed the full amount for Dry flotation bed treatment! although nobody had informed us, or even asked our room billing number for this, so our room number was looked up and billed without our permission or any explanation. I believe this behaviour was almost malicious from the spa assistant, even explaining to someone higher what had happened and that we'd only been laying on the beds for 5-7 minutes (not a full hour) so being charged anything let alone the full price seemed ludicrous, we were merely apologised to and the price of the so called spa treatment that we received was put down to £15.00, but as a believer of justice this was an outrageous end to the stay and it really did add insult to injury. The value seemed okay, I cannot stress enough that a Spa is not a place to feel an inconvenience and not a place to feel confronted and slightly attacked by anyone. Every other Spa I have visited has been well maintained and had a relaxing yet professional environment for people to enjoy where all staff have been friendly, unfortunately due to our experiences at Cedar Falls Spa we left un-relaxed, unhappy and out of pocket. Sadly we will not return to Cedar Falls due to this recent trip. I cannot recommend it to anyone because I wouldn't want them to feel as disappointed as we did.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
24 Thank Natalie R
Richard S, Managing Director at Cedar Falls Health Farm, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Natalie

Thank you for your comments, it is always good to get client feedback so that we can improve upon any situations that have occurred.
Regarding the dry float beds that you mistakenly got onto, the doors are usually kept locked until they are required for a treatment. For some reason they were left open and as you rightly say there are no signs to tell you otherwise (we have now remedied this). There is however, absolutely no excuse for the rudeness that you encountered from the spa assistant, and I can only apologise sincerely. Also, you should never have been charged for this mistake and I will reimburse you for the full amount paid.

Pool towels that appear to be finished with are regularly cleared away from the conservatory and relaxation areas to make room for other guests. Fresh towels are plentiful and can always be collected from the main or clinic reception. Again we do apologise on behalf of the spa assistant who clearly did upset you. We are looking into both these incidents and will be taking the necessary disciplinary steps.
The mixed steam room unfortunately broke down that morning, the ladies only steam room is on a timer, and it does take 15 minutes to achieve full temperature, but it was working.

We were pleased to hear that you enjoyed the pool and hot tub, afternoon tea in the rose garden, our rooms and bedding, and of course the wonderful seasonal food.
We sincerely hope that one day you will return to Cedar Falls and have the relaxing and enjoyable stay that the majority of our clients experience.

Richard Smith
Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I've been coming to Cedar Falls twice a year for the last 10 years, as a special birthday treat for myself and my best friend. We look forward to it all year and always make sure to let everyone know what a fantastic spa it is, and how much we enjoy the whole experience.

This year thought we both felt a little let down by the fact that Cedar Falls is starting to look a little tatty. It's a gorgeous building with great facilities, but there are unmistakable signs of a lack of maintenance that are not in keeping with such a high class establishment.

The wall beside the steam room in the main pool area is discoloured and damp - presumably the steam is escaping into the paintwork? - the vents above the pool are dirty and full of dust - not the sort of thing you want to look up at when you're relaxing - and the drying machine is rusted all over the base. All little things that anyone spending time in the main pool area will notice and which will spoil their impression of Cedar Falls as a "luxury" health spa.

During my dry float I was told that the laser star projector wasn't working, which was very disappointing as I love that part of the treatment. Until fairly recently one could collect a fresh dry towel from the rack by the pool, but now this has gone and there are no fresh towels on display anywhere - again something that spoils the "luxury" feel. I also dislike the "gold" robes, which always seem to have stray threads and don't feel as "spa like" as the classic white ones.

Basically, I just feel as if the whole experience has been taken down from 5 stars to about 3, and the owners need to have a good long look at the place and try and bring it back up to standard before they start losing loyal customers like myself. It's all very well having a nice dining room and pleasant staff, but mould and peeling paint do not a luxury spa experience make!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
14 Thank Law T
Victoria J, Assistant Manager at Cedar Falls Health Farm, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear LThomas72,

Thank you for taking the time to review Cedar Falls.

The wall beside the steam room has now been dealt with and the drying machine is being refurbished. The vents located over the pool are the most difficult to get to, but your point will be raised with maintenance.

Many apologies that the laser star projector that you so enjoyed on your last visit was not working. We already have the new one in place. Fresh towels are plentiful and can always be collected from either the clinic or main reception. You will be pleased to hear that the “gold day package” robes are being changed to plain white ones.

We are always striving to improve the facilities here at Cedar Falls, and we do hope that on your next visit you will note the improvements that have been put in place.

Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Well I visited as a day guest and loved it. Staff are very helpful, good food, reasonably priced champagne! We had the top to toe day which included a facial, aqua jet and manicure. Lovely facilities and of course the fab weather helped when in the outdoor pool. We will be back!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Clare G
Victoria J, Assistant Manager at Cedar Falls Health Farm, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Claire G,

Thank you for your recent review.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent spa day and made use of the outdoor pool in the recent good spell of weather!

I look forward to welcoming you back.

england
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Very relaxed atmosphere with loads of treatments available as well as two pools (1 outdoors) sauna and steam room. You can mooch around all day in the supplied dressing gowns if you wish. The restaurant food is excellent and staff are very efficient and helpful. Sadly avoids a 5 star review due to the peeling paint and mould growth on the bathroom walls in room 3 which really let it down so i suggest you ask for one of the renovated rooms.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bristolbob
Victoria J, Assistant Manager at Cedar Falls Health Farm, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear bristolbob,

Thank you for your recent review.

I am glad to read that your enjoyed your stay with us and you enjoyed using the facilities.

We will be working on the other bedrooms to get them up to a higher standard.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Camborne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I have just arrived back from a 5 night stay at Cedar Falls, it was my first visit there but will not be my last. I suffer with fibromyalgia (chronic fatigue and pain) I was exhausted after a couple of months without any respite from the symptoms. Within 24 hours of arriving I felt relaxed. The treatments were excellent and the staff had an understanding of my condition. The daily activities that were included in the price of the stay were varied and there was always something on offer that suited most abilities from the gym, long walks etc for the more energetic to aqua fit, relax and stretch for the more sedate clients. Breakfast, lunch and dinner were included in the package price, although the menu was not extensive it was well though out, health and very tasty. The staff were very friendly and although I was on my own I did not feel out of place at all. I read trip adviser before I went and saw some negative reports about the rooms etc. although i believe some of the rooms and on suites are a little on the small side, you don't actually spend much time in them. If you bear in mind that it is a lovely old manor house and not a five star hotel I am sure you will love it as much as I did, but the Spa, Treatments, staff and food in my eyes were five star. And would I go again? most definitely

Room Tip: I explained when I booked that I could manage some stairs but would struggle with more that one flig...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank VAL J
Victoria J, Assistant Manager at Cedar Falls Health Farm, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Val J,

Thank you for your recent review.

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us,it is so great to hear that even though you came on your own you felt relaxed and not out of place.

I will pass on your comments to all of the team and hope to see you again soon.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This was my first visit to a dedicated health farm and it didn't disappoint. Not only are mobile phones banned in public places, but no-one under 16 years of age can book and pets are not allowed. The facilities are excellent and it seems the whole building has been redecorated. One down side is that it is a listed building so no lift. I had a single room in the top of the house and the stairs were very steep and almost too much to cope with. The treatment staff are very good but you do need to book ahead because Cedar Falls is very popular with day visitors. The meals were well cooked and attractively presented, although breakfast choice was limited presumably on healthy option grounds. Altogether a lovely three days.

Room Tip: You need to tell reservations if you have mobility difficulties because all the rooms start on the f...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Margaret E
Victoria J, Assistant Manager at Cedar Falls Health Farm, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Margaret E,

Thank you for your recent review.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your recent visit to Cedar Falls and that you enjoyed your treatments and the food.

Please do let us know when you are returning so we can give you a room on the first floor.

london
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We have visited several times. The grounds are beautiful and there is a relaxing atmosphere throughout the hotel. People dressed in dressing gowns at breakfast and lunch - very chilled. We had the same room as last time overlooking the rose garden - thankfully it had been redecorated since the last time when the ceiling was in a bad state. The food is consistently of good quality for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We had one aromatherapy massage which was excellent. The service provided by staff is consistently helpful.

My only criticism would be that for the price per night robes and slippers should be provided automatically for guests. We had to pay for these which I think is unacceptable in a spa hotel and we have not encountered this elsewhere.

There are many day guests so I would suggest booking treatments in advance or there may not be availability of staff at short notice. The overnight clients were noticeably less on this occasion.

Room Tip: Overlooking rose garden. Choose superior rooms
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Member888
Victoria J, Assistant Manager at Cedar Falls Health Farm, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Member888,

Thank you for your recent review.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your recent visit. I will pass on your comments regarding the food and your treatment.

The bathrobes is something that will be reviewed but is explained in the confirmation letter.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Cedar Falls soon.

kind regards

Victoria
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taunton
The Mount Somerset Hotel
#9 of 17 in Taunton
Blorenge House
Blorenge House
#11 of 17 in Taunton

Been to Cedar Falls Health Farm? Share your experiences!