“Staff are a credit to you, oooh but some tired fixture s”

Cedar Falls Health Farm
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Staff are a credit to you, oooh but some tired fixture s”
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Have had a lovely day with efficient hard working staff. But as with other reviews, some things need to smarten up. Its clear the spa heyday was the eighties. You need better changing rooms. Food was okay and freshly prepared, but lacked touches. Fruit salad was dull and there was no other dessert choice. Service was good. Could do with spending more on magazines and there were no newspapers. I love the house and grounds, but the spa facilities have not kept in touch. Such a shame as your staff work so hard. I would come more often if it was more luxurious.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank ma s
Victoria J, Assistant Manager at Cedar Falls Health Farm, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear ma s,

Thank you for your review. We were so pleased that you enjoyed your day with us. Regarding the other issues that you raised, since reading your review we have already put on two more choices of desserts in the lunch time menu. The spa area and ladies changing rooms are part of the ongoing programme of refurbishment that we have in place.

Victoria

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Went with friends for a day. Very impressive grounds and gardens. On entering reception it all looks very impressive. However the facilities in the spa area appear tired and dated. One facility out of order. Lunch certainly not worth £15! Generally it does not feel luxurious, but that corners are being cut. Could be amazing with some investment.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Normangnome
Dear Normangnome,

Thank you for your recent review. We were glad that you appreciated and enjoyed the grounds and gardens, we are currently working on all areas of the spa to update and refurbish so on a return visit I hope you will see the improvements that have been put in place.

Victoria

Travellers are raving about these Taunton hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

What a disappointment, I had gone for a special pampering day out with my family, for relaxation and pampering. However we didn't feel relaxed as there were small furniture bugs crawling all over the building.
They are very small but as soon as you find them you will notice them everywhere!!

We first noticed this in the dining room as we were waiting for our diner, the bugs were on the table cloth, on the napkins, and on the cutlery we didn't no what to think and first but when our drinks came out they were in the glasses in the drinks!!!
So we thought we would inform the waitress which she asked us to move tables so we did to find out there were bugs on this table too.

We then saw that they were also in our gowns and crawling on our body, it was really quite discutisting, to think that this is a health centre, and a hotel which serves food!

We didn't eat our food and went to the receptionist to let her know, which they didn't seem bothered either, even though I had showed her the bugs on my gown and even on her desk at reception.

The staff who worked as the beauty therapist on the massages who also did the nails and facials were all very friendly and professional, so thank you girls for that. It's just ashame about the bugs.

Stayed July 2014
7 Thank kelly t
Dear kelly t,

You clearly must live in the centre of a city, as anyone who lives in the countryside would immediately know these as thunder flies. They are minute black insects, just visible to the naked eye and whilst they are a nuisance, they are completely harmless. They appear every hot summer especially when the weather is humid. Even if all doors and windows are shut they would still find a way in as they are so tiny.

You have to remember that Cedar Falls is set in 44 acres of grounds, surrounded by farmland so it in inevitable that we do have them every now and then, and they are certainly not something to get all hot and bothered about and to suggest that they are something more sinister. It is a shame you did not take the time to find out more information to establish what they were, before writing your potentially very damaging review.

Just a minor point as well, we are not a health centre – surely that is a medical practice, nor are we a hotel, just a beautiful health farm set in glorious Somerset countryside.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

What an amazing experience! My daughter and I spent the day at Cedar Falls for her 17th birthday. The long impressive winding drive to the stunning C17th manor house amongst acres of manicured grounds added to the excitement of the day. The reception staff were friendly and welcoming and we were shown promptly to our room The Churchill Suite. Optimum luxury overlooking the grounds with power shower and WiFi! The therapists performed amazing professional deep muscle massages so much so my daughter fell asleep! The Jessica Zen spa pedicures were a luxurious finale to our day and the complimentary nail polish meant they look just as good today a month later! Special thanks to the Manager of this department as attention to detail was magnificent. High standards which she expects from all the staff. Luncheon was served in the dining room offering a vast choice of hot/cold buffet to suit every palate. The head waiter was very proactive and attentive to all. The head chef, Fatalah, was also highly visible especially when delivering birthday cakes and candles to the various guests and accompanying the waiting staff to sing 'Happy Birthday'. Highly commendable! We cannot over enthuse enough. Will definitely be coming back with friends and family in the future :)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Singen79
Dear 787Speedbird,

Thank you for your wonderful review. We were all so pleased that yourself and your daughter had a lovely time here at Cedar Falls. What a fabulous treat for her 17th birthday. We will pass on all your comments regarding your time here to all of the departments involved, so glad that you enjoyed your massages and that the pedicures lasted a long time. We look forward to welcoming you both back here very soon.

Bristol
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I was really looking forward to our stay at Cedar falls as years ago this was the place to go but unfortunately it has not moved on from years ago!! I was totally disappointed with our stay at Cedar Falls. We purchased a travel zoo offer £138, with spa access, 2 course meal and over night stay and had to pay £20 extra to stay on a Friday and Saturday. We arrived on Saturday and asked if we would like to hire robes, really?!!!! How can a health farm ask you to hire a robe at £5 per robe, its absolutely ridiculous! We did as the only alternative was to wonder round in our bikini/trunks! The robes were a drab, hard and a cream colour,surely they should be nice fluffy white robes, especially as we are paying for the privilege?!
We were able to check in straight away which was a plus and we went straight to our room (27) The room was small, had virtually no view and had stained carpet, was very disappointed. Out side of our room was restricted access with no carpet, to say it all looked tatty was an understatement. Anyway we tried to stay positive, we asked at reception where everything is and the lady said she would ask someone to show us round. She made a phone call only to tell us that no one was available until 1 as they were on lunch (it was 12). So what were we meant to do sit and wait for an hour, seriously!!! We decided to find our own way round. We went to the pool area, the pool is small with a jacuzzi, a sauna and a out of action steam room!!! I noticed in a previous review the steam room wasn't working, when I asked at reception the following day how long the steam room was out of action I was told that it was working when the receptionist left at 2pm, I don't think so, we were there at 12 and it wasn't working, an dI don't think it has been for quite some time!! I had a look in the ladies spa area, and the steam room was also not working, just the smell of damp when you open the door. We chose to have lunch there £15 each for 3 courses which was carrot and coriander soup, buffet salad with ham and mackerel and fruit salad. My husband had a orange juice £3.25, ouch!!!! The buffet salad was nice and so was the soup but the fruit salad could of done with some yogurt.

There really wasn't much to do in the spa, pool, jacuzzi, and sauna so we chose to have a afternoon nap after lunch in the chill out area.

We went down for dinner at 8, we had a choice of soup, pate, and goats cheese souffle. I had goats cheese soufle and my husband the soup, the souffle was awful but the soup was nice. For main I had chicken, and my husband had the plaice, unfortunately he found a hair in his meal which subsequently put me off of my meal. He didn't want me to say anything about the hair if I had my way I would have. Dessert was frozen yogurt or sticky toffee pudding, we had one of each and it was fine, the sticky toffee pudding should have come with cream or custard but it never.

The following morning breakfast consisted of cereals, fruit, tea, coffee, eggs, mushrooms, and tomatoes, which was ok.

We were able to use the facilities until 5pm that day but chose not too as there really wasn't anything to use, we were out of there by 10am.

To sum it up we ended up paying £158, £10 (for robes) and £30 for lunch, not a cheap overnight stay in a shabby, tatty hotel. It is a shame as it has the potential to be lovely, the ground are amazing. I suggest they go and visit Bannatyne spa, at Charlton House and Aqua sana at longleat to get some pointers as Cedar falls health farm is a joke!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
12 Thank Joanne M
Dear Joanne M,

Many apologies for not being able to show you around immediately upon your arrival. The £5 nominal charge for bathrobe and disposable slippers is quite usual on an economy package of which you had booked. This is fully explained on the website and also in the confirmation letter sent out to you. We are quite happy for guests to being their own robes if preferred to avoid this cost. We are currently in the process of changing over to plain white robes.

The main steam room was operational. The other steam room is located in the ladies section of the spa, as the majority of people use the main steam room, this one is on a timer and does take 10-15 minutes to achieve full temperature. The receptionist therefore, was quite correct in saying they were both working.

I was interested in your comment that you left early the following morning as there was not “anything to use”. Most guests book up treatments, which is really the whole idea of coming to a health farm, I notice you did not book any at all. Also, such a shame that you did not make use of the outdoor pool, tennis court or golf course. We also have croquet on offer, as well as fitness classes and organised walks, again none of which you chose to participate in.

Somerset
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Recently booked a spa day for my Husband and I as a surprise birthday gift. Was a little dubious after reading some of the recent feedback for this spa/hotel whether I'd picked the right one, however if I am honest, I couldn't find much to fault!
Staff were welcoming & friendly from start to finish, we found the spa facilities clean & relaxed and the treatments I booked well organised - just what I ordered.
Our deal included a 3 course cold buffet lunch. If I were to comment on anything, perhaps the choice in food could have been better as my Husband doesn't tend to eat alot of creamy/sauce based pasta/noodle/rice dishes so he was abit limited to salads and meats.

Following this day, we spent a few days in a hotel in Devon - which also had a spa that I'd considered buying a package for. I am so glad I picked Cedar Falls now as looking at the other hotels facilties it wasn't a patch on this - really made you appreciate what a good spa is like!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lucky222
Victoria J, Assistant Manager at Cedar Falls Health Farm, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Lucky222,

Thank you for your fabulous review, what a pleasure it was to read!

We are so pleased that you did choose Cedar Falls for your spa day as we feel we do have a lot to offer here. We are glad to read that your day was well organised, and as you say, “just what you ordered“!

Our head chef Mayla plans the menus daily, so I am sure that on a return visit, there will be different choices available

All the staff very much look forward to welcoming you both back here in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Having recently visited Cedar Falls, I am sad to say that this is not a place that prioritises the needs or comfort of their customers, and they seem to feel that providing an actual service, as opposed to the mere cachet of having visited one of "the best" spas in the country, is not necessary. From the outset, I was disappointed with the facilities and service. I was told that in order to use the lockers in the changing room, I needed to have change, which I didn't. I therefore had to bring my belongings around with me. Additionally, they thought it was standard to charge for towels and a bathrobe. Having visited numerous world class spas internationally, I found this policy unusual practise despite being contradicted by the receptionist. Furthermore, I had to carry the bathrobe and towel around with me in a plastic bag throughout the spa facilities as they gave me a tour, and when I used the pool and changing rooms. The changing rooms were dated and not well decorated. The carpeting on the floor smelt dank and I felt like the facilities were dirty and ill maintained. No slippers were provided, which meant that customers roamed the facilities in their own shoes, which added to my sense that the Health Farm was unhygienic. By the pool area, the only showers available were outside in the communal areas. Although there was obviously a shower curtain, I didn't feel that I could fully relax and cleanse effectively as I was showering next to the swimming pool - I didn't even remove my swimming costume. During my visit to the clinic for my treatment, I was told that despite being pregnant, I "should" be on my back for more than 40 minutes of a massage as this was the type of massage they offered, which was extremely uncomfortable and dangerous. As the dangers of laying on your back during pregnancy are common knowledge, needless to say I stood my ground, but the experience of the treatment was ruined for me. Another part of the massage was to sit on a small stool, which wobbled, with a pillow for my face, where I sat for the back massage. This was also extremely uncomfortable as being heavily pregnant that I was, all the blood felt like it was accumulating in my feet and I couldn't relax or enjoy this portion of the massage either. It was 90 minutes of tension and a complete waste of money. Frankly, I was surprised as usually places that use Espa spa products tend to be of a high calibre, having had a prenatal experience at an ESPA spa In Hong Kong, which was the diametric opposite - it was luxurious, relaxing, restorative and blissful. I would not recommend Cedar Falls to anyone. I was extremely disappointed and will not be returning. The customer service and facilities are substandard and not up to par with other spas that charge a comparable amount. And the food was rubbish too.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
9 Thank FrequentTravellerGo8
Dear FrequentTravellerGo8,

Thank you for your recent review and comments, I shall try to answer the concerns you have raised.

Our lockers use a returnable £1 coin, and our reception staff would have been more than happy to organise some change for you if you did not have any. We do not charge for towels as you wrongly stated, but we do charge a nominal £5 for a bathrobe and disposable slippers. This is not unusual for spas to charge this on an economy day package. Our website and confirmation letter does state that guests can bring their own bathrobes and flip flops, thus avoiding the £5 charge. With regard to our showers, we have the 2 around the pool area, but, located in the “ladies only” section of the spa area, accessed through the ladies changing rooms or spa clinic, we have a further 2 showers which are private and would of afforded you the privacy you required.

We were so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your ESPA Pre and Post-natal treatment, this treatment is especially designed to ‘truly relax mind and body’. I am sure that if you had explained that you could not possibly lie on you back for 40 minutes, the therapist would of quite happily swapped your treatment for another.

Our food is all seasonal, freshly prepared, and from the finest ingredients, locally sourced. The majority of our guests who visit Cedar Falls say how wonderful it is.