“One night stay and never again!!!”
Review of Blue Ball Inn

Blue Ball Inn
Ranked #55 of 275 Restaurants in Taunton
Price range: US$8 - US$27
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Traditional but unique Olde Worlde Pub / Restaurant. Thatched Roof, Beautiful wooden interior and eaves which form the Bar and Dining Rooms. Relaxed informal atmosphere. Beautiful natural country beer garden with stunning views and surrounded by superb trees on three sides. We could go on but just come and experience it for yourselves.
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I'm surprised to see the ratings for this place are so high. Following a fab stay elsewhere recently I decided to review this awful place. From start to finish this is our experience. We arrived at 4pm ish after a 5 hour journey with our 1 year old on route to Plymouth port. Place looks heavenly and had a small cottage (later discovered is the staffs) next door, we wandered around trying to find an open door. All locked and the glasses and cups from lunch still left on the tables outside. After 15 mins of huffing and needing to get our baby girl in the room a jeep type thing pulls up and a smug type young man gets out showing his distaste for our presence quite clearly. We introduced ourselves and Giles was desperate for a beer after the long hot drive....the response to that request was 'we don't open I until 6. Giles then said 'oh come on all I would like is to relax in the gardens with a beer'.......response was (smug smile included) 'I'm sure your not that desperate, we open at 6'.....yes ...we also thought this was a joke, but no. He waltzed off to show us to our room. Astonished at his blunt rudeness we followed . Fair play the room was fab, the upstairs of a cottage you ourselves, 2 bedrooms, nice clean...spot on.
Feeling really disgusted with the appauling reception we decided to walk down the country road in search of another pub.....only to see lazy bones washing his boat or trailer (can't recall) in the sun....ummmm you didn't have time just to pop and get us a quick drink because you needed to wash your trailer???? Also didn't have time to clear the dirty dishes and glasses from lunch either. This guy was a real 9-5 type. Failing to find anywhere due to remoteness we went to the room and prepared for dinner. Ok, so the basic thing here is that the manager is lazy, wants out as soon as lunch is finished to the extent we arrived dead on 6 hoping to order for our little girl but 1. Menus had not been printed and 2 tables and floor covered in crumbs from lunch....less and less impressed especially when told the menus would be ready at 6.30 and we could order something then. Freya getting hungry we asked for bread to get her through.....no bread....apparently the chef was still baking it????ummm I do love the smell of fresh bread cooking...with the kitchen a stones throw away it was clear that this was crap.....they don't make the bread at all, he just didn't want to get any. We complained to the only waitress (very nice) and she actually went over to her cottage next door to get Freya a slice of her bread!!!!! Jesus is this place for real. We cleaned our own table and eventually orderd the BLAPAS (blue ball tapas....good one)... For £14 we got a small tray accommodating 1 boiled ugh on lettuce.....a tiny bowl with approx 6 slithers of breads.....olive tapanade and a poor offering of some meat thing....it was disgraceful. We agreed not to say anything. Giles and I enjoy good food and don't care about price but this was a total p'take. To be honest I don't even remember the main course, I just wanted out. In the morning we went for breakfast that agin we had to wait for as serving started too late....it's ok, we just need to catch a boat in Plymouth. The place again was filthy. The only person in the restaurant was this smug manager who served us smugly....Freya had made a lot of mess with eating bread (freshly made that morning of course.....) and cornflakes etc so I politely apologised . To finish our stay the comment we got back was 'don't worry that's why I have staff'.........OMG was a TossR. That is exactly why the place is dirty and glass littered....because he leaves someone else to do it....and they don't. I feel sorry for the waitresses who have to put up with him. maybe we had a random bad experience, I can't blv the good ratings this place gets....personally I would go elsewhere . Maybe Smugster is not working there anymore. Hope not!!!!

5  Thank Jo A

Reviewed 2 May 2014

My wife and I picked the Blue Ball Inn for a one night break and certainly hope to be back again.

We stayed on a mid week night and think we were the only ones staying. We arrived bang on the 6pm opening time, which was very keen on our part, having spent the afternoon sight seeing. We were welcomed as the pub was being opened and shown our room straight away.

The room was cosy and characterful. A lovely large bath in the upstairs bathroom and a very comfortable bed.

Dinner was three course excellence. We struggled to choose because everything was tempting. There were other guests eating and they all seemed to be enjoying their meals. The service was friendly and relaxed, which suited our mood because we were after a relaxing time away with no desire to rush anything.

After a good night's sleep, we were the only ones eating breakfast, confirming our suspicions we were the only occupants. We had a great view from the window while we ate and the breakfast was excellent. I was told the bacon was special as it was cured on site, in fact the bacon was undersold. It was the highlight of breakfast and tasted utterly fantastic.

I highly recommend the Blue Ball Inn as a place to seek out and spend a day or two in a relaxed and comfortable environment.

If I were to be picky, there are some areas I noticed where ambiance and service could be improved. However, when reading these items, do note that this is a country pub and not a London Hotel. Wireless signal in the room was a tad iffy and it was difficult got a signal that wasn't weak. It would be nice to see a wider selection of spirits and local beers. There are areas, such as high corners and beams, that could do with attention from a duster. That this is the worst I can say about Blue Ball Inn, tells you why I loved this place and the fact it has character and charm.

1  Thank SomeChapFromBlighty
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We had two rooms B&B and took the £15 add on 3 course dinner. Rooms were fine and the meal was excellent value. Everything fresh and cooked to order. Barman Henry was particularly helpful. Definitely would recommend especially if you want somewhere to stay and have a nice meal after a day walking the Quantocks.

blueballquantocks, Owner at Blue Ball Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

We're so pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and thanks for taking the time to add your review. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

My partner and I had a meal here on Saturday the 19th of April. the service was very poor indeed.We were shown to our table and left for far too long.We asked for a wine list but there wasn't one.we were just offered an example of each variety.We asked for bread as we had been told the we would have to wait at least 20 minutes for our main course.We were forgotten about again so had to ask again for the bread.My meal(the duck) was rather dry and uninteresting.
Overall we were rather disappointed.

blueballquantocks, Owner at Blue Ball Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Many businesses hate TripAdvisor. It's oh so easy for guests to visit an eatery and leave seemingly happy only to take anonymous pot-shots at a later date, and the temptation to exaggerate their woes, it seems, is too great to resist. We don't mind it, everyone is entitled to their say afterall, but every now and again we receive a poor rating and feel the need to post a reply, reminding other visitors to this page that negative (and, in fact, positive) reviews are JUST personal opinions and that there are two sides to every "horror" story.

First of all, you're right; we don't have a wine list. But this doesn't make us bad people. Our staff are knowledgeable, they know which wines our merchant delivers daily and are happy and comfortable to talk customers through what we have available at any given time. Most folks like this, they think it's quirky and unique. And not having a hundred bins sitting idle in the cellar keeps the stock turning and the prices down. Apparently you're not cool with this. But that's okay, you're entitled to your opinion.

Secondly, there are many fast food specialists in the area and we're none of them. Even without the other 100 guests who also arrived on Easter Saturday lunchtime and received an equal share of our attention, we don't feel that 20 minutes is "too long" to wait for your food to be cooked to order. The only real surprise is that what you ordered was cooked from scratch, rested, carved, plated and served within such a short window. Of course, this is just our opinion.

As for the duck; the pink-roasted breast of Gressingham duck. We're sorry that you found it "dry and uninteresting". We also apologise on behalf of the accompanying ratatouille, hand-picked wild garlic and basil pesto, roasted duck sauce, purple sprouting broccoli from our own garden and creamed potatoes which added neither interest or moisture. It wasn't to your liking and that's fair enough. But a dozen other guests during the same service absolutely raved about it. And guess what? They're entitled to their opinions too.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Really good & inventive cusine in a very unusual converted ancient barn next to the original thatched pub (now accomodation). Knowledgeable & enthusiastic chef/publican. It's well worth the detour to tihis out of the way location a few miles from Taunton.