“Lovely surroundings and lovely hotel”

New Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Sutton Coldfield
Sydney, Australia
“Lovely surroundings and lovely hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

I stayed at this hotel for work and was impressed. The staff on arrival were polite and efficient and my room was spacious and comfortable. I used the gym and pool as soon as I arrived and they were both great, the gym was well equipped for the size of hotel. I decided to eat in the bar as I wanted something a bit more relaxed and the restaurant menu was quite heavy. But the bar menu was excellent...not just bar snacks but a good range of choices. I had salmon salad and it was lovely, however the wine was quite pricey. The beds were comfy but the only negative was that the pillows were really uncomfortable. The wifi was really easy to use and reliable and refreshing that u didn't need to pay extra! However the real treat was breakfast. Although the wait for tea and toast was lengthy, as soon as I asked again it was there quickly. I ordered eggs benedict and in my opinion the best I have had, set me up for the day. I would recommend this hotel to colleagues.

• Stayed June 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Gloucester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

We stayed here after an event at the NEC followed by a day at the New Hall Spa. The hotel was very impressive and we found the staff to be very friendly and accommodating.

The spa was very nice, although quite small and the treatments we had were very good.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Gooner_and_Fudge
Warrington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

I am a big fan of Macdonald Hotels because they take classic buildings and make them into great hotels, keeping the structure and spirit of the building while delivering excellence for the guests.
This is the first Hotel that is not a Macdonald that would make it into that league. Apart from the building and great rooms the staff really do care about your stay. My colleagues choose this as a regular stop and I can see why. Photographs don't do it justice it is very beautiful. Location is great and I would drive a bit extra if needed to return.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank MDJ63
Torquay
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

We spent a romantic evening at the New Hall hotel. It is the oldest inhabited moated building in the uk and still has most of it's orginal features. The room was great and the food was outstanding. If you want to give your love one a real treat you won't go wrong with New Hall. There is a spa and swimming pool and tennis and croquet facilities too. We unfortunately didn't get time to use them, however we did get to have a lovely walk around it's ground and sit and watch the bats flying around the rose garden. Wonderful break.

Room Tip: If you can get a room overlooking the gardens and pond then go for it. You won't be disappointed...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steven M
Birmingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

I stayed at New Hall Spa as part of a 50th birthday weekend, including dinner in the Bridge Restaurant. Overall, we were very pleased with our stay and the food we had. Hotel staff were only too happy to help with any small queries. We had requested and been promised rooms with a courtyard view for our party and this was not the case for one room. The duty manager compensated us with a couple of bottles of wine for the table. Some rooms are a substantial distance from reception – if you have mobility problems you may want to request a room close to reception and on the ground floor, as there is no lift.

Breakfast was good, but there was a long wait for cooked to order food and bizarrely the hotel ran out of bowls and we had to wait quite a while for these too.

I did use the leisure club, which is fairly small but very clean and not overly busy. The pool is rather small and not really suitable for serious swimming.

This hotel is to be recommended for its glorious architecture and grounds and the helpful staff and good food.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mattinbrum
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

We returned to New Hall to celebrate our 5th Wedding Anniversary, after spending our first here. With fond memories I was a little worried we would be disappointed but New Hall excelled itself on a number of levels.

I'd contacted the hotel in advance to ask for a room in the main house, with 'character' (we'd booked a deluxe double) and after a smooth and professional check in the lovely Godfrey - a model in customer service - showed us to Candida, which he called the love nest, just what I'd asked for with a huge bed, lovely sitting area and general cosy feel.

We used the spa which is pleasant, if fairly basic and had a wonderful massage each, highly recommended.

We ate in the Terrace restaurant on Saturday evening and we found the food excellent, wine very pleasant and service good. Breakfast on Sunday was delightful too.

The building and grounds are really beautiful, with a sense of history throughout.

Its worth remembering that New Hall is ultimately (and I mean this in the nicest possible way!) a chain hotel, and not a luxury boutique hotel and, I think when reviewed with that in mind it was a really fantastic stay for £150 B&B. We left feeling we'd visited a country retreat, vowing to return. Just hope it's not another 4 years!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the old part of the hotel
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Oxfordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

Been here many times. Would be 5 stars this time but the food on this visit was not so good in the non-fine dining room. Nice spa. Enjoy the geese and ducks whilst walking the grounds. Very popular for weddings but this has never put us off as a visiting couple. The biggest surprise is always the value for money !! Parking can be tricky.Very friendly.

Room Tip: Try rooms in the main house
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutton Coldfield
Fairlawns Hotel And Spa
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premie...
#3 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
The Belfry
The Belfry
#1 of 1 in Wishaw
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,769 reviews

Been to New Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!