My partner enjoyed his 40th birthday here and treated me to a night in the original wing of this 800-year hotel, which is England's oldest moated hotel.
A consistent wedding favourite for its olde worlde-ness, Andrew was thrilled that the front desk manager remembered him from his birthday. The hotel was almost full to capacity but he paid extra to upgrade us to a suite in the top floor which featured a big bed, a cosy living area piled with current issue magazines, and a wonderful, light-filled bathroom with a dramatic gothic entrance for the toilet and basin area and a super-hot heated towel rail which dried my underwear very quickly!
We enjoyed an afternoon in the pool, steam room and jacuzzi (guessing who of the other guests were part of the wedding party), before meeting friends to have dinner in Sutton Coldfield.
The next morning the great hall was full of wedding guests, other guests had filled up the regular breakfast room so we were directed to the front room overlooking the moat. We gave our breakfast order to the Indian waiter who was new, under-trained or over-stretched. Another 4 sets of guests arrived and received their hot breakfasts before we asked where ours was. I had asked for a medium-boiled egg and eventually received two - one already peeled, both hard as nuggets. I got another egg, properly cooked, but the waiter was frazzled. Andrew's smoked haddock and poached egg was in a sea of water
I also noticed the window frame and surrounding plaster casing was covered in dust and flies so perhaps that room is not often used.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Lying within 26 acres of mature, elegant grounds this 60 bedroom historic country house hotel is widely reputed to be the oldest inhabited, moated manor house in England. Sympathetic renovation has provided up-to-the-minute facilities whilst retaining most of its medieval charm and character. Public areas with their fine panelling and mullioned stained-glass windows create a unique historical ambiance; the magnificent Great Chamber is particularly impressive indeed. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Ebookers, LateRooms, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your New Hall Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- New Hall Hotel And Spa
- Hotel New Hall
- New Hall Hotel Sutton Coldfield
- New Hall Sutton Coldfield
- New Hall Hotel & Spa Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands