“Idyllic fairytale English retreat but needs better waiters”

New Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Sutton Coldfield
Reviewed 28 July 2012

My partner enjoyed his 40th birthday here and treated me to a night in the original wing of this 800-year hotel, which is England's oldest moated hotel.
A consistent wedding favourite for its olde worlde-ness, Andrew was thrilled that the front desk manager remembered him from his birthday. The hotel was almost full to capacity but he paid extra to upgrade us to a suite in the top floor which featured a big bed, a cosy living area piled with current issue magazines, and a wonderful, light-filled bathroom with a dramatic gothic entrance for the toilet and basin area and a super-hot heated towel rail which dried my underwear very quickly!
We enjoyed an afternoon in the pool, steam room and jacuzzi (guessing who of the other guests were part of the wedding party), before meeting friends to have dinner in Sutton Coldfield.
The next morning the great hall was full of wedding guests, other guests had filled up the regular breakfast room so we were directed to the front room overlooking the moat. We gave our breakfast order to the Indian waiter who was new, under-trained or over-stretched. Another 4 sets of guests arrived and received their hot breakfasts before we asked where ours was. I had asked for a medium-boiled egg and eventually received two - one already peeled, both hard as nuggets. I got another egg, properly cooked, but the waiter was frazzled. Andrew's smoked haddock and poached egg was in a sea of water
I also noticed the window frame and surrounding plaster casing was covered in dust and flies so perhaps that room is not often used.

Room Tip: There's no lift so if you are allocated a room on a 2nd or 3rd floor, make sure you can lift you...
There are newer reviews for New Hall Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 28 July 2012

This was my second time at New Hall, staying for business. Love the ye olde English ambience of the gardens and the comfort of the rooms. But never expected the service to be so exemplary on my last visit. I injured my back unknowingly in London so when I awoke at 5 am in the morning and couldnt move was evidently scared. The manager, Terry Lyszyk got the paramedics to attend to me and stayed with me the entire time to ensure that I was able to move and made me confortable with drinks and bread and checking on me until his shift was over, He also organised with the Spa Manageress, the lovely Olivia Peach to watch over me when his break came to ensure I had all the care that I probably wouldnt get even in a hospital.

I didnt have to ask but Terry and Olivia just popped in on their own volition giving the kind of genuine care family would, it was really touching. Their genuine actions and flawless efficiency and customer care was comparable to the kind of service I have had at the Raffles in Singapore i.e. international 5 star !

I spent an extra night to get my back stabilised and till I was moved back to London. Till the very last moment the staff were intent to ensure i was well taken care of.

I must say having stayed recently in a so-called 5 star hotel Gran Bahia Ambar in the Caribbean where the Manager was rude and dismissive when both my partner and me were ill from food poisoning, I was amazed how much good customer care and can turn an uncomfortable situation to a positive experiance. Terry Lyszck and Olivia Peach achieved that effortlessly and with aplomb.

New Hall has its limitations in that the food is too salty, overcooked and lacks variety , no doubt due to the small kitchen space in a 14th Century property. But it could be improved .The waitress in the dining room was also diabolically bad as had to wait 35 minutes for my dinner and had to chase for it.

But for good ol English hospitality and service New Hall is way up there!

Shall be writing to the handpicked management to recognize what gems they have in Terry Lyszyk and Olivia Peach and their teams. Will be back when I come back for work soon and look forward to saying hullo to my new 'family' at New Halll.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Stayed recently for one night , stayed in Louise Suite overlooking beautiful immaculate grounds surrounded moat . Room was lovely , afternoon tea-amazing! , glorious sunshine weather . Only downside meal was awful at night , breakfast however was lovely. Spa/ pool immaculate , and gym was good too . staff attentitive on check in etc . Overall good stay from good hotel chain -hand picked hotels . Well done .

Room Tip: try get suite over looking grounds/moat .
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We stayed here to break our journey from Scotland to Devon. The room we were in was very good with everything you would need. The gardens were stunning...I have never stayed in a hotel with a moat before!
The evening meal we had, although very enjoyable, was very overpriced. It was standard sausage, gravy and mash and at £16 was a bit excessive. The bill came to over £60 for 2 courses, and 2 drinks for 2 people....Is that just me being Scottish?

Room Tip: Avoid eating in the hotel in the evning...bar meals limited by space...restaurant overpriced.
1  Thank SteveandJanette
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I booked this hotel for a weekend stay to celebrate my partner's birthday. We stayed 2 nights with dinner included on one night. Visiting the Handpicked Hotels website I was under the impression that we would be enjoying a somewhat luxurious spa hotel experience. The pricing certainly reinforced that impression. It was not particularly cheap to stay here.

From the outside the hotel is beautiful and the building and grounds are very well maintained. Inside, it is also well kept and clean. However, as soon as I entered I just knew everything wasn't going to be as I hoped. The decor is resolutely traditional with reproduction furniture, tapestries on the walls and draped and swagged curtains everywhere. Not necessarily bad in itself, but there are different versions of traditional and this was the version from 15 years ago and it looks tired and dated.

Our room was large with a separate sitting area but it just looked really dated. The bed was fine but had poor quality synthetic pillows and duvets. More Travelodge than luxury. Anywhere other than the cheapest places provide down pillows these days surely? The bathroom was small, especially considering the size of the room, and was functional but very basic. We were disappointed.

We decided to head the lounge area for a glass of wine and a light meal. The atmosphere here is honestly funeral parlour. There was no one else there and the background music was provided by, I think, Classic FM, meaning that in between the mish mash of classic tunes we got to hear the presenter chatting and even the news all coming from a tinny radio in the corner. This did nothing to help the ambience. Food was ok-ish but I think i'm being generous saying that. Ridiculously over priced. Caesar salad didn't taste of caesar salad and my chips were undercooked. The steak baguette could never be eaten as a sandwich so I left the 2 enormous pieces of dry bread untouched. The steak was nice though. We went to bed at 9pm, there was nothing else to do.

Next morning we both woke up and looked at each other. If you could leave now would you? We agreed we would. I chucked some clothes on and went down to reception. I had pre-paid and the deputy manager did not have authority to issue a refund. 24 hours notice would be required. I can understand that if I hadn't been to the hotel already but after trying it and not liking it maybe a different approach is required? Anyway, as we couldn't get a refund we decided to stay and use the spa. This hotel is billed as a spa hotel. It is not. It is a hotel with a swimming pool. Ok it also has a jacuzzi and a basic steam room and sauna but it really does not offer any kind of spa style experience. The facilities are clean and modern but not spa hotel in style, more municipal baths.

Dinner that evening was another poor show. Classic FM on in the background again and the sort of uncomfortable atmosphere where everybody feels they have to whisper. Menu prices absolutely crazy - £15 for a scallop starter, and this is in the cheaper brasserie not the main restaurant. My fish pie was a sort of salty fish soup with a swirl of salty mash on top. Bizarre. I complained about the salt and was informed that I wasn't the first. I couldn't be bothered to have it changed, even though the waiter was really obliging and practically insisted, as I had little faith that anything else would be better.

I have been negative but this place is not truly awful (apart from the food). If you've been booked here by your company or need to stay for an event, relax, you are not in for some Fawlty Towers type experience. It runs smoothly, the staff are pleasant, breakfast was good, it's clean and well maintained and you may even like the decor. However, for us it fell far short of what we wanted from a special, romantic weekend away.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Elles_Belles555
Reviewed 19 July 2012

We arranged to meet a colleague for dinner there as he was overnighting at the hotel. Firstly the staff are very nice, and today I will be speaking to them. The first thing you smell in the cocktail bar is fat old frying fat and as you take your seat it clings to your clothes, I orderd smoked salmon which was 12.50 starter price and was a rolled finger size with packet mediterranean leaves all over it. The boys had polenta chicken and this was coverd in leaves, about a finger of chicken we complained but held put in hope for the main course, I has fish pie which consisted of four chunks of fish a swirl of mash in a bowl filled with cream fat globules liquid soup disgusting never had to look for years at anything so awful, my husband was served with grey tail of cod folded over onto a really wooly risotto the others has steak which looked grey in colour as if it had been microwaved, we went to the desk having left the food, paid the bill for 209.00 and went to the kababish for a curry and finished our meeting. We felt embarrassed to think that with all the lovely places there are we had that.experience.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank crystalbobbie
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We stayed at this hotel last summer for a last little break before our daughter was born. Again we stayed when they ahd their special offer of DBB + champagne and canapes. The hotel is lovely, old yet well kept. Little nooks and crannies. The reception greeting was warm and welcoming and a room was lovely. The grounds are lovely and went for a lovely walk before dinner. The swimming pool is really relaxing and big. Unusual to have to leave the building but being an old building there was never a pool originally.

Dinner in the restaurant was lovely, it was slightly rushed as the hotel was busy and originally were not given the champagne and canapes until we had to ask although we saw other couples were given them on arrival. The food was good.

Breakfast in the morning was delivered to our room and was perfect, everything was cooked and well and had I'd been choosing from a buffet is the quality I would expect.

We will definately be returning to this hotel again, great location for Birmingham and lovely hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutton Coldfield
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premie...
#3 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Ladywood
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
#7 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to New Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!