“romantic retreat”

New Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Sutton Coldfield
Reviewed 3 August 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights at the end of May. The building looks absolutely idyllic, like something from a fairy tale. The grounds were also perfectly manicured and incredibly relaxing to spend time in. Its hard to believe its so close to a major city. Our room was part of the newer annexe but this has been designed to complement the original building very well so you don't feel like you have missed out. The room was spacious, impeccably clean, well appointed and very comfortable. Our breakfast was delicious and we were fascinated to watch the playful antics of a seemingly tame squirrel through the leaded windows. We would love to return again in the near future.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
New-Hall-GM, General Manager at New Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2012

Dear Vix1969,

Thank you so much for your very kind review. It’s great to receive positive comments from our guests, not just about our stunning building and grounds but also about the service and food quality.

In addition to the “tame squirrels” New Hall’s 26 acres of grounds and woodland also play host to: Canadian geese, moore hens, ducks, coy and mirror carp, roach, owls, foxes, badgers, hedgehogs and muntjac deer, so when you next plan a return visit, please do not hesitate to ask one of my helpful team to point you in the right direction for some serious wildlife spotting!!

Best regards,

Simon

Reviewed 30 July 2012

My wife and I attended a two day meeting and celebration dinner at the Hotel.
The facilities we used were of a very good quality and the accommodation was also very good.
The dinner was a little short on quantity, but quality was also very good.
Breakfast was plentiful, but why do the better hotels serve the worst tasting sausages?
However, Staff are Excellent.

Room Tip: All rooms reported as very comfortable by the rest of the delegates.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Wife's birthday, long weekend, dbb deal. We caught them on a bad weekend as they were attempting to recover from a power cut.

Our room wasn't ready when we arrived at 3 on a Saturday, and waited more than an hour before we could get to our room; they lost our Saturday night dinner booking in the Restaurant despite us calling down to confirm; the TV was broken and remained broken all weekend; the pool heating system seemed to be broken too. A 2 Rosette Restaurant should not substitute dishes without checking with guests first, nor should they serve stale bread.

The staff were well meaning, pleasant even, but this is not up to £200 a night standard. When we complained, we were offered a bottle of champagne that turned out to be South African fizz. Which is kind of indicative of the whole experience. Nice enough, but not what we were led to expect.

The facilities and buildings are immaculately kept, and it's a classy joint, let down by poor communications and an optimistic sense that they can get away with it.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank JonBeech
Reviewed 28 July 2012

My partner enjoyed his 40th birthday here and treated me to a night in the original wing of this 800-year hotel, which is England's oldest moated hotel.
A consistent wedding favourite for its olde worlde-ness, Andrew was thrilled that the front desk manager remembered him from his birthday. The hotel was almost full to capacity but he paid extra to upgrade us to a suite in the top floor which featured a big bed, a cosy living area piled with current issue magazines, and a wonderful, light-filled bathroom with a dramatic gothic entrance for the toilet and basin area and a super-hot heated towel rail which dried my underwear very quickly!
We enjoyed an afternoon in the pool, steam room and jacuzzi (guessing who of the other guests were part of the wedding party), before meeting friends to have dinner in Sutton Coldfield.
The next morning the great hall was full of wedding guests, other guests had filled up the regular breakfast room so we were directed to the front room overlooking the moat. We gave our breakfast order to the Indian waiter who was new, under-trained or over-stretched. Another 4 sets of guests arrived and received their hot breakfasts before we asked where ours was. I had asked for a medium-boiled egg and eventually received two - one already peeled, both hard as nuggets. I got another egg, properly cooked, but the waiter was frazzled. Andrew's smoked haddock and poached egg was in a sea of water
I also noticed the window frame and surrounding plaster casing was covered in dust and flies so perhaps that room is not often used.

Room Tip: There's no lift so if you are allocated a room on a 2nd or 3rd floor, make sure you can lift you...
Reviewed 28 July 2012

This was my second time at New Hall, staying for business. Love the ye olde English ambience of the gardens and the comfort of the rooms. But never expected the service to be so exemplary on my last visit. I injured my back unknowingly in London so when I awoke at 5 am in the morning and couldnt move was evidently scared. The manager, Terry Lyszyk got the paramedics to attend to me and stayed with me the entire time to ensure that I was able to move and made me confortable with drinks and bread and checking on me until his shift was over, He also organised with the Spa Manageress, the lovely Olivia Peach to watch over me when his break came to ensure I had all the care that I probably wouldnt get even in a hospital.

I didnt have to ask but Terry and Olivia just popped in on their own volition giving the kind of genuine care family would, it was really touching. Their genuine actions and flawless efficiency and customer care was comparable to the kind of service I have had at the Raffles in Singapore i.e. international 5 star !

I spent an extra night to get my back stabilised and till I was moved back to London. Till the very last moment the staff were intent to ensure i was well taken care of.

I must say having stayed recently in a so-called 5 star hotel Gran Bahia Ambar in the Caribbean where the Manager was rude and dismissive when both my partner and me were ill from food poisoning, I was amazed how much good customer care and can turn an uncomfortable situation to a positive experiance. Terry Lyszck and Olivia Peach achieved that effortlessly and with aplomb.

New Hall has its limitations in that the food is too salty, overcooked and lacks variety , no doubt due to the small kitchen space in a 14th Century property. But it could be improved .The waitress in the dining room was also diabolically bad as had to wait 35 minutes for my dinner and had to chase for it.

But for good ol English hospitality and service New Hall is way up there!

Shall be writing to the handpicked management to recognize what gems they have in Terry Lyszyk and Olivia Peach and their teams. Will be back when I come back for work soon and look forward to saying hullo to my new 'family' at New Halll.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Stayed recently for one night , stayed in Louise Suite overlooking beautiful immaculate grounds surrounded moat . Room was lovely , afternoon tea-amazing! , glorious sunshine weather . Only downside meal was awful at night , breakfast however was lovely. Spa/ pool immaculate , and gym was good too . staff attentitive on check in etc . Overall good stay from good hotel chain -hand picked hotels . Well done .

Room Tip: try get suite over looking grounds/moat .
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We stayed here to break our journey from Scotland to Devon. The room we were in was very good with everything you would need. The gardens were stunning...I have never stayed in a hotel with a moat before!
The evening meal we had, although very enjoyable, was very overpriced. It was standard sausage, gravy and mash and at £16 was a bit excessive. The bill came to over £60 for 2 courses, and 2 drinks for 2 people....Is that just me being Scottish?

Room Tip: Avoid eating in the hotel in the evning...bar meals limited by space...restaurant overpriced.
1  Thank SteveandJanette
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutton Coldfield
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premie...
#3 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Staying Cool at the Rotunda
#1 of 118 in Birmingham
The Belfry
#1 of 1 in Wishaw

Been to New Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!