“Nice place for a weekend away”

New Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Sutton Coldfield
Reviewed 26 January 2014

This is a lovely hotel with great character and friendly staff. Being very picky there were some minor things that could be improved, but we have a nice stay over a weekend in January.

We were in a standard room which is relatively small, but comfortable and surprisingly quiet. There was a big flat-screen TV and a DVD player and fresh milk for tea/coffee which was a nice touch. The bed was a little hard and one or two things appeared to need a little attention in the bathroom (all working ok, but just starting to look used/dated).

The hotel had a few communal areas to which really gave a sense of the history of the building - stone walls, stained glass windows, etc. and this made it feel much more special than most hotels. My wife tried the spa and was impressed.

The best thing about New Hall was the staff who were welcoming, friendly and efficient throughout our stay. They were not over-attentive (which would have been over the top), but did make us feel valued as guests rather than just another set of customers.

We had dinner in the Terrace restaurant as part of our package and the food was good but not exceptional. Breakfast was very good, with a wide choice of hot options as well as a continental buffet selection.

Overall we enjoyed our stay at New Hall and would definitely be inclined to return again in the future for a special treat or a weekend escape.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for New Hall Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 22 January 2014

We popped in on spec for afternoon tea on a cold winter's afternoon and were treated so incredibly well it was hard to tear ourselves away from the cozy fireside table our lovely young waitress found for us. Tea, sandwiches, scones and cakes were all delicious, the service superb, even the log fire was expertly tended to keep it roaring up the chimney. From the minute we stepped through the front door, New Hall staff were welcoming, smiling and helpful and made our spur of the moment visit a real treat. A lovely hotel made lovelier by the staff. Well done!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank iwanttogotoitaly
New-Hall-GM, General Manager at New Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Dear iwanttogotoitaly,

Sincere thanks for taking the time to post your feedback on your recent ad hoc visit to New Hall Hotel & Spa. It goes without saying I was delighted to hear that you spent an enjoyable afternoon in front of a lovely open fire, sampling the delights of one of our fabulous afternoon tea’s!!

The team here have worked particularly hard over the years to continuously improve the quality, choice and seasonality of our afternoon teas and I am thrilled your experience was representative of the standard of service and food quality we strive to deliver to all our guests.

On behalf of the team, I look forward to welcoming you back to New Hall again in the near future.

Best regards, Simon

Reviewed 21 January 2014

New Hall looks lovely when you arrive, the building is impressive and the grounds well looked after. The staff on reception and in the Terrace restaurant are lovely, as are the staff in the spa.
All in all I would have given this a higher rating but for the following:
1. Never in all my times at a 'spa retreat/ break' have I had to get dressed again and walk to another building to have lunch, then walk back and get into my swimming costume again to go back in the spa.
2. The spa has no where to just sit and relax. The break was marketed as a spa break so I didn't expect the spa to be so small.
3. The person who did our room service could not seem to work out what we wanted (a burger with no salad and some milk for coffee). I'm sure he tried and seemed lovely but did not quite cope.
4. Some of the staff who were on breakfast in the restaurant were very abrupt.
5. The rooms are lovely but the bathrooms could do with a deep clean. They aren't overly dirty by any means but there was a build up of dirt along the edge of the shower screen and the bath panel (sorry, but there wasn't much else to look at when I was on the loo).

Small changes would make this hotel stand out. Sorry to the people who did make it worth going, I think you are probably let down by a small minority.

Room Tip: Our room was lovely and quiet. It was room 12, along the corridor downstairs.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Fiona B
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We stayed here with another couple on New Years Eve for the Murder Mystery event provided by The Killing Game and all had the most fabulous time!
The staff were welcoming. We arrived a little too early but our rooms were ready and we had two beautiful rooms next to each other on the ground floor. We had all the facilities you would normally expect and it was super comfortable!
We had a lovely lunch in the beautiful drawing room and then used the Spa facilites which were fabulous.
The evening's entertainment was just brilliant. We sat on tables of 10, made some great friends and had some wonderful food. I have never done a murder mystery event before but would certainly do another! It was great fun and the actors were just hillarious!
If I were to be critical I would say the breakfast was a little disappointing. I am not a fan of the self service of food from silver troughs. The breakfast items were slightly cold and dry and I have to say for such a fabulous place, which we paid a lot of money for, I did expect a freshly cooked breakfast and maybe more selection. It also took a long time to be served with tea and toast, and we had actually finshed our breakfast by the time ours arrived. I am hoping that it was only served in this way as it was New Year and presumably very busy.
All in all, it was a beautiful hotel, full of lovely features, roaring fires and stunning grounds. We will certainly recommend this one! Will we return? We wish we could move in!!
Thank you for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 220 on the ground floor. It was very quiet and had a nice view of the courtyard.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Katie F
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We had a lovely relaxing weekend with great food, drinks a bit pricey. A Heritage Suite in the main house of the hotel was everything and more. Made good use of the leisure facilities and strolled around the gardens.

Room Tip: Book a castle suite it is worth every penny and very quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carmigcar
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We stayed at New Hall just before NYE for a friend's wedding and as beautiful as the building and its immediate surroundings are, everything else left something to be desired.
Our bathroom was fine, and the shower was great, however the room itself was a bit dark. The 'Spa' was not great at all - the jacuzzi, sauna and steam room all felt lukewarm, and the changing rooms were freezing as well as a bit dingy and dirty. The gym was completely unpleasant altogether. It felt I was using the facilities at a cheap public gym or leisure center.
The food was average but massively overpriced, and the wine was also very expensive (£90 for beef stew and potatoes for two, a shared desert and two glasses of wine!) When we did want lunch or a drink we usually found ourselves looking for staff in the empty bar and restaurant area until someone appeared.
I would definitely not go again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pia A
New-Hall-GM, General Manager at New Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear Pia A,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your stay with us in December.

Obviously I am disappointed when anyone leaves New Hall less than satisfied with their experience, however whilst I always appreciate receiving feedback from our guests, as far as I am aware, none of my team were alerted to your disappointment or dissatisfaction at the time, and sadly therefore not given an opportunity to address your concerns prior to your departure.

I was particularly sorry to read of your disappointment with our Leisure Club, especially in light of the ongoing and continuous investment made in this facility over the past 5 years; starting with the complete refurbishment of the gym and replacement of all resistance and cardio vascular equipment in December 2009. In 2010 we replaced the sauna and in 2011 replaced and upgraded the changing room showers at a significant cost. In December 2012 we again replaced all of the Star Trac Cardio Vascular equipment with the latest models (an investment of £100K). Over and above these large projects, many enhancements have been made, and continue to be made (e.g. the building a lovely outdoor deck overlooking the lake and extensive, scenic grounds) and I therefore cannot accept your comments likening our facilities to “a cheap public gym or leisure center”.

In respect to your feelings about the quality and pricing of our food and beverages, I must say I am at somewhat of a loss to comment on this as we do not serve Beef Stew. Furthermore I am unaware of what wine choices you made from our extensive selection, however if you would like to contact me and furnish me with the details of your stay, I would be more than happy to investigate this element of your feedback in more detail.

Accordingly I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Kind regards, Simon

Reviewed 14 January 2014

Myself and my partner visited the weekend before christmas for a relaxing stay.

I cant fault the room at all, it was very spacious and comfortable, as was the bathroom.

I felt let down by the "spa" facilities. To me, it felt less of a luxury spa but felt more like a gym swimming pool with treatment facilities. The pool area was noisy and not relaxing.
We were tempted to book a treatment for each of us before we went but glad we didnt as it would've been in a separate room just off reception.

Dinner was included in the price of our stay and the food was outstanding. A good selection of choice and tasted great.

I've stayed in other Handpicked Hotels and felt this one was slightly behind the others.
Whilst the surroundings etc are good, it may be that ive been spoilt at the other hotels in the chain.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutton Coldfield
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premie...
#3 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Ladywood
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
#7 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to New Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!