“Perfect break!”

New Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Sutton Coldfield
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We stayed here last night in the Sirius Suite. On checking in Bill took our bag and showed us to our room. The room itself was lovely, in the old part of the building, beamed ceiling, stone windowsills, 6ft bed, sofa & 2 chairs and a dinning table with 4 chairs, dressing table, drawers and wardrobe. The grounds are beautiful and very well kept. Weddings are held in the marquee so the evening entertainment doesn't bother other guests. All of the staff that we met were very friendly, with a nothing is too much trouble attitude. We ate in the Bridge restaurant, the vegetarian selection was very limited compared to the Terrance bar, one starter and one main, however I was happy with both, I'm sure had I asked for alternatives they would have been offered! My husbands starter was very overlooked but when mentioned to the staff they were very apologetic and and offered to get it replaced quickly. We were not charged for the starter and my port was compliments of the maître d'. I agree that that wine us expensive by the glass, £11 large Chardonnay the bottle was £33 . We had breakfast in our room, which was excellent. The spa is basic, it could do with a little TLC.

The service that we experienced here was more 5* than 4* couldn't fault it.

Room Tip: Ask for the Sirius Suite
Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
New-Hall-GM, General Manager at New Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear Mrs_carpy,

Thank you so much for taking the time to summarise your experience and thoughts from your recent stay with us.

I must confess that the Sirius is one of my personal favourites also, with its original beam and stonework it is a unique, atmospheric and comfortable bedroom contained within the historic “Old House” and for this reason is very popular with regular and returning guests.

Reading through the rest of your comments it would seem that you managed to make the most of your short stay with us, exploring some of the 26 acres of beautiful gardens and woodland the hotel boasts as well as making use of the leisure club and dining in our AA 2 rosette restaurant, the Bridge. Whilst I note there was a small issue with your husband’s starter, I was delighted to hear that you alerted us to this at the time thereby allowing Hubert and his service team to immediately rectify this rare mistake. We receive a lot of very positive feedback about the Bridge and I am therefore pleased you felt well looked after and enjoyed your chosen dishes.

Thank you once again for your kind, yet constructive feedback. On behalf of the team at New Hall, I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind regards, Simon

Write a ReviewReviews (1,270)

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Wonderful building, very typically English (exept for the French accent of the lady on reception).it has been some time since my visit which was arranged as a business/educational weekend.
My room was amazing with all the traditional and very tasteful furnishings one would like to expect but rarely finds, and compared to staying at the Strand in London for the same price it was far superior (in my view).
To my suprise and delight I think we had booked a spot a celebrity weekend as there were a couple of very famous faces...no names mentioned but the young lady has an equally famous rear end...and also a football team who were playing in Birmingham that weekend. from what I overheard from the footballers they were equally impressed with the standard of the Hotel.
lovely place,classy clientelle, very discrete, and I personally would love to go back again .
Recommend this place to anyone and everyone.
First Class.

Room Tip: Dont be too fussy, apparently they are all excellent. I was booked into a cheaper room which was sti...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We recently went to our niece's wedding and stayed the weekend. We can't praise the hotel enough (and we are not prone to praising hotels!). The building is amazing, the staff can't do enough to help and the food is first class. The food in the hotel was fantastic, from the breakfasts to the wedding meal everything was top notch. Even when the Sunday breakfast buffet had to cater for 30 additional guests they still came up trumps. And as for the amazing bed - didn't want to get up in the morning, it was bliss. The only (slight) criticism was please open the gym earlier - it was a choice of breakfast or the gym! We will definitely be going back. Well done New Hall.

Room Tip: Get a suite - they are worth it.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Back from our second stay here, having been once before a few years ago. Last time we were in an Executive Double in the more modern extension - this time we went for a Deluxe Double and were at the front of the main house with views over the courtyard/moat/extension to one side and the driveway/carpark to the other. On balance, I'd say the Executive room had a 'newer', more recently refurbished feel, but I liked the character of the Deluxe with the (decorative) fireplace, high ceilings and four poster bed. It also felt bigger and had more natural light due to having more windows (that you can open - no noisy aircon!!), although some of the furniture, whilst attractive and in keeping with the setting, is starting to get a little bit tired and could do with being replaced soon. LOVE how quiet/tranquil the whole place is - hard to believe you're a few minutes drive from Sutton Coldfield.

There were a couple of minor niggles - one was the lack of plug sockets to charge phones, laptop, iPad and whatnot, although we coped by unplugging the cafetiere and the heater, neither of which we needed - if you travel with a lot of 'iGadgets', it's cold and you like your coffee, maybe bring an extension cable along? The other was that the wifi was playing up a bit while we were there, but this was down to their service provider having a problem and when we mentioned it at reception they were already aware and in the process of trying to get it sorted - couldn't really ask for more than that.

Service-wise, like last time, all the staff were friendly and attentive and I couldn't fault anyone. The food (again, we only sampled breakfast and the lounge menu) was also as good as I remembered, although not cheap, but it *is* a hotel... This time I made use of the spa, set away behind the main house, and I couldn't fault anything that I experienced - excellent service, modern and what I saw of the pool/hot tub/gym etc. looked first class. Definitely recommend the 'lava shells' massage if you like 'hot stones' ones - I felt wonderfully relaxed when she'd finished!

Overall, another lovely stay - definitely recommend!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Just had two nights at New Hall Hotel and Spa and would like to highly recommend this venue. Great location and just stunning.The room was amazing, food delicious and staff excellent the only downside was having to leave!

Room Tip: Treat yourself and pay for an upgrade......worth it!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I stayed at New Hall with my hudband and 9 year old son. The hotel and location are stunning, food is superb and the spa facilities good. Restaurant service needs improving: we ordered our evening meals from the lounge, which was nice, but my son was the last one to be served after over 1 hour. The restaurant staff are too informal, and this style does not match the level of the hotel. Overall, we had a very good experience and will return.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Beautiful Hotel steeped in history set in lovely well maintained grounds with lots of wildlife. Staff were friendly and efficient and our room was clean and had everything we wanted. The restaurant food was top drawer and the breakfast was as good as it gets. A lovely change to stay in a character hotel instead of the usual 'chic' style. Good spa facilities and lovely pool.
Will visit again in summer where I can see sitting outside with an evening drink and watching the sun going down the perfect way to end the day!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutton Coldfield
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premie...
#3 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
The Belfry
#1 of 1 in Wishaw
Moxhull Hall
#1 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield

Been to New Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!