“Afternoon tea for two”

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Sutton Coldfield
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea for two”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Booked this as a gift for an alternative birthday present. Staff very attentive they went out of their way to make sure everything was as it should be. Plenty of tea and hot chocolate for me as I'm not a tea drinker, no extra cost. Sandwiches, fancies and scones beautiful. My sister felt like royalty. The only blip was that although I had said at the time of booking my sister was in a wheelchair this wasn't noted ,on our arrival we couldn't go to the usual room used as inaccessible due to stairs, we were asked if we minded another room. Fortunately because the staff were so nice and apologetic it wasn't a problem. A lovely way to spend a few hours on a Saturday afternoon. Thank you

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank annpenson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
nuneaton
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My wife and I enjoyed a very nice one night spa stay at the New Hall. There are a lots of positives about the hotel and spa but a few things that stop it, in our opinion, from being excellent particularly as anyone staying here should have high expectations. During the day and before checking in we enjoyed the spa. This is a separate building and houses a good sized pool, small gym, steam room, sauna and treatment rooms. The staff are excellent, very friendly, helpful and professional. Everywhere was very clean, the pool temperature was just right and the treatments we had (a 30 min back/neck/shoulder massage and a mini-facial were very good indeed. It is quite small though with not many areas to sit by the pool. It was quiet when we visited so it wasn't a problem for us but if it got busy it could be. There is a terrace outside which was nice to enjoy lunch, which can be brought down from the main hotel if you want. If the weather had not been nice it would have been a shame to have had to get changed and walk back to the hotel.
Checking in was quick and easy and as per all the staff we came into contact with, dealt with in a friendly courteous way. We had afternoon tea included in the price. The service was excellent and overall the afternoon tea was good quality, substantial and good value. The only criticism would be that the scones were a bit overdone and dry, a basic mistake really.
Our room was a more expensive larger room in the separate block. It was very large with sofa and armchair. The bed was large and very comfortable, the bathroom was very clean and well maintained although will probably need updating soon. The most important thing was that the hotel was very quiet and we slept well.
In the morning we enjoyed breakfast. The continental breakfast had plenty of options but we chose a cooked breakfast. My wife's waffles were excellent. My 'freshly cooked' breakfast was good, but let down in a couple of areas. First, the bacon was over-done, also I didn't order beans or a tomato but the meal turned up with both. The hash browns were also a bit over-done and very crispy. I don't drink tea or coffee, so I was disappointed not to get any orange juice refills. I don't see why they simply don't leave it out so you can refill yourself.
The hotel building and grounds are lovely and unlike other quests we felt the decor overall was fine
Overall we had a very enjoyable stay and we'd be happy to stay again given the right deal.

Room Tip: Room 10 is big!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nuneatonmark
Lincoln, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Just want to say a HUGE thank you to all the staff for putting up with us on Saturday - ten of us came to celebrate my husband and I 20th wedding anniversary (tomorrow) and had quite simply the BEST time ever!! Sorry if we were too raucous (sp?) and probably a good job we were out of sight and earshot in the Garden Room!!! Thank you so much!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Scott-T-McDonald, Manager at New Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for this review and congratulations on your 20th anniversary. I am really pleased that your evening with us was clearly so enjoyable, we do try to cater for each guest individually and it appears that we succeeded on this occasion. I hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.
Best Wishes
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

My wife and I had a one-night stay here recently as a chill-out following a busy period at work. We had stayed here once before many years ago and had been impressed then, so we decided to try to recapture the experience. We weren't disappointed. On arriving, the reception staff were warm and friendly, but genuinely so - none of the insincere, sugar-coated copy-cat phrases that are often thrown in your general direction but some real human connection - that was a giveaway for me that this hotel is managed and run by experienced people who know their profession. Our room was in the recently built section and was very comfortable with all the facilities we expect, including safe and tea-making kit. Our main activity was the spa, where we went to de-stress. Apart from having what we wanted (pool, steam room and sauna), one thing stood out - it was clean - that's important to us. In the evening, we ate in the Bridge restaurant and were blown away by the standard of the food but also by the service, which was second to none. Our waiter was a true professional - really knew his trade. It's easy to overlook that and see waiters as gophers, but they largely determine that by their knowledge of the menu and of the chef, and by their desire to make you feel welcome - it was really noticeable in our waiter, who made a huge difference to our enjoyment of the meal. The food itself was excellent - some of the best we've tasted. Breakfast the following day was a superb eggs Benedict. After checking out, we sat in the lounge for a couple of hours reading the papers and had tea and biscuits before heading back home. We got back feeling totally relaxed and with the thought that we had stayed in one of the best hotels in the country. It may have been a particularly good day, on which nothing went wrong, but comparing it to other hotels in this category, it stood out as having a noticeable edge. Why was that? For me, it was professional staff who gave great service with no pretension, the spa, the cleanliness and comfort of the whole place, a peaceful and calming location and excellent food. A perfect score.

Room Tip: Having stayed only twice, once in the old building and recently in the new part, I can't say whe...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BC8888
Scott-T-McDonald, Manager at New Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your excellent review following your return visit to New Hall.

I’m delighted that everything was just as it should have been during your visit and that you had a true New Hall Hotel & Spa experience.

Thank you for your kind words regarding the team, they will be really happy to read your review as they all work hard in their roles whilst maintaining, as you say warmth and friendliness. We are very lucky to have such natural and professional people working here. It was pleasing to see that you had some thorough “de-stress” time in our Spa and that you enjoyed all aspects of cuisine

Come and visit us again soon.
Kind regards
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a family celebration and was shocked by the extortionate price of the drinks... I work in London and I'm not sure I've seen such prices in the bars there... £5.95 for a bottle of Old Speckled Hen... You can buy them for £1.60 at the supermarket and they're making a handsome profit, so the mark up at the hotel is just pure greed.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel unless you have more money than you know what to do with and feel like spending it on products you can get more reasonably elsewhere.

It just didn't feel like value for money.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank SoHFan
Manchester
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I almost feel mean not giving this a higher rating, as the first thing to say is that the staff are very friendly and knowledgeable.

We stayed in the Canida room, which was very nice, it was a deluxe room with a little sitting area separate from the bed.

However, whilst I truly appreciate that the hotel is very old, (well, the old part!) and beautifully historical, it is a little lacking in TLC. The bathroom was rather dated, as were the carpets, and furnishings, and by dated, I don't mean historically! I get the impression that the place was 'done up' back in the late 80's to early 90's, and to be completely honest, it could do with another re-vamp.

I think our previous experiences of 4 and 5 star hotels meant that our expectations were just a touch higher, and whilst it was very nice, it wasn't really 'exceptional'.

I would've been thoroughly disappointed had I booked the hotel for the 'Spa' experience, as the spa wasn't even part of the hotel unfortunately. It was in a separate building, and you had to walk outside to get to it. It consisted of a small pool (which when we looked was full of kids) a small steam/sauna, a couple of treatment rooms and a small gym.

I have to say, I wish that all hotels wouldn't jump on the 'Spa bandwagon', as they really do fall short. Sticking a small pool and steam room in your hotel, does not make it a proper spa hotel. I would recommend an overnight stay at Ragdale Hall, or Hoar Cross Hall, if you want to see what a real spa is like in that area.

Ok - on to the positives.

The grounds were lovely, we had a nice walk around and relaxed in the sunshine. We then sat outside and had a drink on the terrace, which again was nice, (although shockingly overpriced for drinks...and we're used to London prices!). We had dinner booked as part of our package in the Brasserie, and the food was lovely. Really very good, we had three courses, and it was all very well cooked, expertly served, and very tasty. Top marks.

My only complaint - and frankly this isn't the hotel's fault, was that there were two couples enjoying their dinner and drinks from 8.30-10.30pm, with an 18 month old baby with them - who was toddling around the dining room, tugging at other diner's tablecloths, and crying now and then, while they sat eating and drinking. I was stunned - totally unacceptable in a busy restaurant in the evening - utterly stupid/selfish parents! It really did spoil the ambiance of the dining room.

Back in our room, the bed was comfy, and we slept well. The room was a touch cold, due to the very old historical windows, which had no inside glazing - I'd not want to stay there in the winter!

Breakfast the next morning was good, nicely cooked, and a good selection. Again, only spoiled slightly by the same couple and their baby crying loudly whilst they mostly ignored him. Honestly, get a babysitter!!

All in all, it was a pleasant stay, but I don't think I'd go back. The food was very good, staff very nice, grounds very pleasant, but nothing that really stuck out for me. I do truly think that the place needs a thorough programme of updating in the 'old' part, as our bathroom and other parts were truly stuck in the 80's/90's.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lizpeters01
tamworth, staffs
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Fab service from the minute we checked in. Every single member of staff made a real effort to be very friendly and we felt really welcome. Great quality cream, really high quality, gorgeous desserts, scones were as light as a feather! Pre dinner cocktails were so good, three course dinner was beautifully presented, well served and high quality food. Great nights sleep and fab breakfast. Only regret is that we didn't stay longer and we wish we had included the spa, there is always next time!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank debbiedevil
Scott-T-McDonald, Manager at New Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Dear Guest
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your girly getaway with us and found all aspects of the service and facilities offered met your expectations. I will be passing your kind comments on to the team. It is especially pleasing to read that the cuisine and service offered in our food and beverage outlets stood out for special mention.
I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future and thank you for this wonderful review.
Best wishes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutton Coldfield
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premie...
#3 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Ladywood
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
#6 of 117 in Birmingham

Been to New Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!