“Beautiful surroundings”

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Sutton Coldfield
Atherstone, United Kingdom
“Beautiful surroundings”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I stayed one night for a teambuilding work event. The room was stylish and clean. I didnt have a good view as i faced a brick wall but to be honest i wasnt in the room long. Lots of spa options to utilise during your stay not to mention the pleasant grounds for a stroll. Staff were polite and helpful, although breakfast time felt a bit rushed and like a conveyor belt. Overall very nice. Perfect for weddings, couples retreat or spa break

• Stayed July 2014
Scott-T-McDonald, Manager at New Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank your kind review and recommendation. I was happy to see that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay with us, i am sorry that your breakfast felt rushed.
On behalf of the team here, I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel at some point in the near future.
Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Horley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014

My husband and I, daughter and 8 year old granddaughter stayed for one night at the hotel. We arrived very early but the hotel were very accommodating and arranged for us to have one of our rooms almost immediately even though they had a couple of wedding parties in the hotel. The swimming pool and spa were very clean and tidy. The staff are all very friendly and could not do enough for us. We would have hesitation in recommending this hotel and will certainly visit again,

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was glad to see that you enjoyed a nice time at New Hall with your granddaughter. I was also pleased to see that the team looked after you all and that the wedding parties did not impact your stay.
On behalf of the team here, thank you for your recommendation and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel at some point in the near future.
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here a couple of weekends away as we were meeting friends. Our experience was most delightful with a pleasant room, surroundings and friendly staff. At the time of our arrival the staff were very busy preparing for a wedding party that were due but still made us feel welcome and attended to us whilst hosting the wedding party. The facilities were ample and the gardens were beautiful. Would definitely stay there again.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review and recommendation, it was pleasing to see that you had a “Wonderful experience” meeting your friends here at New Hall. I am glad the team ensured that their preparation for the wedding party did not impact on your time with us. Thank you again and we do hope to see you here at New Hall again in the near future.
Middlesbrough
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Spent 3 nights at the hotel. Made use of pool area, staff pleasant though we felt a little over worked on occasions. We felt that too much emphasis was placed on ' fine dining'.....the food was good but small portions, over priced drinks, this always disappoints me....Breakfast was just acceptable, I hate making complaints, but on our final morning we had to ask twice for our order to be taken, it arrived 20 minutes later, unfortunately neither the toast nor the coffee arrived. At £15.50 each we felt service should have been smoother. Yes there was a wedding party in but the hotel expected that and therefore should have been better prepared.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review and constructive feedback. I am sorry that not all aspects of you stay were to your satisfaction, I will be discussing your points with the relative departmental managers.
It was particularly disappointing to see that your stay was impacted by the Hotel hosting a wedding, for which I would like to apologise. We have enjoyed some great feedback recently regarding our ability to look after all our guest’s needs and it seems that on this occasion we fell short of our normal level of service.
Thank you again for your feedback as it helps us to constantly improve the service offered to all our guests.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I write this review based on our most recent trip to New Hall on Sunday 17th August 2014 but first refer to our first stay at the hotel;
My husband and I and our little one stayed at New Hall for our Wedding Anniversary on the 31/5/14. Overall we had a fantastic trip but to remember but it did start out with a big disappointment on the housekeeping side. Our room appeared that it had not been cleaned properly, the surfaces were dusty and there were strongly noticeable red hairs on the white bed cover! However we did receive excellent customer service from the duty manager who quickly resolved the problem by giving us another room which was stunning.

Now back to our most recent trip to New Hall on Sunday 17/8/14...we were very fortunate to win this stay through a social media competition so we were very exastatic at visting New Hall again so soon! However we had an even BIGGER disappointment again when we were given our room, we noticed several poor housekeeping problems;
1)Two of the display pillows on the bed were dirty one had white stuff on! we had to throw it on the floor,
2)the bedside tables had glass ring marks and were dusty and clearly had on been wiped,
3) on the bed were fair blonde hairs
4) the floor appeared not to have been vacummed as I saw bits on it and two balls of tangled hairs by the bed!
5) the room smelled funny mouldy smell like something had been spilt on the carpet
6) There were two small hairs around the bathroom sink I cant imagine what hairs they were
7)All the glass surfaces were dusty
8) The glass coffee table with magazines the magazines were stuck to it
9) There was a large spider web right in the bay window which couldlt be missed it was right in the centre!

We called the reception to inform someone and Tamara (the receptionist) said she would speak to housekeeping. About 10 minutes later a young fair headed girl came and apologised and cleaned the room again. Before she cleaned I asked her if I could speak with a senior housekeeper but she said she would let them know. I made out the list of issues on the Newhall pad and gave her the exact copy she said she would pass it on. Tony came back later to spray the room with air freshner (breeze) which helped mask the smell.
However we received no call from management regarding our list and nothing was said when we checked out. I feel that because we had a complimentary stay they must of felt that we werent owed an apology?. We did pay to upgrade. We should of been contacted regardless as we are returning customers and wanted to continue to visit...however on conculsion of our last stay we feel the need to not revisit or recommend to our family and friends which is sad.

I would like to add that the staff are lovely at this hotel and I especially like the manager Rinku, but sadly the housekeeping side of the hotel is very poor. I have in no way got OCD but simple housekeeping is common sense. I think the housekeepers should wear hair nets to prevent their hair falling onto beds and that the rooms should be checked over by a senior housekeeper before allocating a room.

I and my husband feel that maybe we have must of had bad luck on two occasions by getting the poorly cleaned rooms. the grounds and exterior of hotel I give 10/10 but rate the cleansiness at 5/10. My adoring nan could of cleaned the room better without her glasses.

I add this is an honest review about our stay and I hope that New Hall and raise their housekeeping standardsa at the moment the housekeeping is making it feel two star instead of a 4 star hotel.

Loyalty fading for New Hall which is a sad shame as have fond memories there. :(

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TrueReview0112
Scott-T-McDonald, Manager at New Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your review, for sending us your feedback and for taking the time to discuss your comments with Val, our Head Housekeeper.
Please be assured as part of our commitment to continuous improvement, we actively seek, analyse and act on all feedback received from our customers, both positive and negative. To this end we use a number of mediums such as online questionnaires, social media, 3rd parties and travel organisations, to name but a few. The vast majority of these return positive feedback on the standard of housekeeping at New Hall, so it was particularly disappointing to read that we fell below these standards during both your stays. I was pleased to note from your initial feedback that the room we moved you to on your first stay was “stunning”. I do hope that you choose to return to us as per both Val’s and my subsequent emails.
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I really love handpicked hotels! This was no exception.

Good Bits:
- Staff were lovely and couldn't be more helpful from booking to departure
- Lovely scones over afternoon tea, fresh and still warm
- Dinner was outstanding! I had lamb and my boyfriend had pulled pork, both were absolutely delicious. The strawberry parfait desert was lovely and creamy too! Everything was elegantly presented.
- The room was lovely, we had a standard room this time but were not disappointed, it had a lovely little seating area next to the window looking onto a green courtyard, very pleasant! Bathroom was clean, quite small but had a bath and shower so did the job.
- The most outstanding part of the stay was how the hotel managed the wedding which was going on whilst we were there. I usually hate visiting hotels when there is a wedding, as they had a dedicated pavilion we were not disturbed in the slightest! No loud noise, all the lovely rooms within the hotel were still available for use and plenty of staff to look after normal hotel guests too.
- My breakfast was lovely, a nice selection on the continental breakfast buffet and my eggs benedict was great.

Could be better bits:
- My boyfriends full english was ok but a little disappointing compared to the top quality dinner. It seemed as though maybe the beans had all been cooked that morning and had sat there a while.
- The tea at afternoon tea was incredibly strong, i had jasmine which i usually like but this was so overpowering that i couldn't drink it.
- Usually the handpicked hotels have a grand hall or some sort of breathtaking room, whilst the rooms were all lovely and cosy and the exterior and grounds were very grand, I did feel it was lacking a little bit compare with Fawsley or Nutfield (but i suppose these are more expensive!)
- We didn't use the spa this time as it was separate to the main hotel and seemed to be open to the public, however it could have been wonderful, we will definitely try it on our next trip.

All in all this was a fabulous hotel, we had a lovely relaxing stay and will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: Rooms were lovely, our room looking over the courtyard was very quiet and peaceful
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Scott-T-McDonald, Manager at New Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your great review, I was glad to see that we did not disappoint after your stays at our sister hotels. I was also happy to note that although there was a wedding here during your stay it did not impact your enjoyment of our Hotel. I will be passing your comments about your boy friend’s breakfast and your jasmine tea over to our Head Chef, Paul and Restaurant Manager, Lisa respectively.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 18 August 2014

My fiancée arranged to propose at this venue in July. He has nothing but praise for the staff members and their efficiency with arranging everything with him. We live in New Zealand so he could not ring them or see them in person which highlighted their willingness to help even further. We had the entire rose garden to ourselves and a delightful picnic was laid out. Staff were eager to congratulate us and could not do any more to make our day special. We will definitely be looking into having our wedding at the same venue!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Scott-T-McDonald, Manager at New Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Congratulations on your engagement and thank you for your review. I am glad that we were able to assist your Fiancé with his romantic plans and we would be proud to host your big day here at New Hall.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutton Coldfield
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premie...
#3 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Ladywood
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
#6 of 117 in Birmingham

Been to New Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!