This is a really lovely hotel, in terms of it's fairytale setting with the moat around the old building, it is beautiful inside and out. If you want a romantic break in a hotel with real character, this is your ideal place. We got a special autumn deal including dinner and a treatment in the spa area. It was more than I would usually pay for a one night break, but in my opinion it was worth it. I normally stay in average hotels, so I can't say I'm a 5-star connoisseur, but it felt quite luxurious to me.
We found the service excellent, especially at reception and in the Terrace restaurant. Our room (number 30) had a gorgeous view overlooking the duck ponds and the separate spa building. It was fairly small but very clean and had everything we needed and more (bathrobes, magazines to read, DVD player, shower gel, book about Birmingham, etc etc). There was a folder with everything you needed to know including history of the hotel, walks you might like to go on around the grounds, services the hotel offer, menus for the various restaurants. The bottom line is, this hotel really go the extra mile to make sure you have everything you need.
The gardens are beautiful and we had a little walk round, but there is a whole country park next door to explore. Despite driving through a housing estate to get to the hotel, you really feel like you're in sprawling countryside.
We ate in the Terrace restaurant (the main restaurant called the Bridge is only open certain days) and the food was excellent. Good choice available, not too fussy and over-indulgent, just decent well-cooked food.
Our only complaint is really the detached spa area. To me, this isn't a "spa hotel" and I don't think they claim to be that. Really it's just a fairly upmarket hotel pool capable of holding about five swimmers comfortably. There were only four loungers around the pool, so if you're someone who enjoys sitting in your robe reading by the pool, you have to hope it's not too busy otherwise you wouldn't have anywhere to sit except two hard marble benches against the wall. The steam room was broken when we went, which was quite disappointing as we enjoy using that, but the small sauna was working.
We had a free 25 minute massage each, and we were't very impressed. For a start, we both got cut short, mine was only 15 minutes and my partner's was 20 mins. We were asked to fill out health forms beforehand - I wrote that I had a tummy upset and felt a bit delicate, my partner wrote that he had played a hard game of hockey the day before and was aching a lot. NEITHER of our therapists said a word to us during the treatment! I can only assume that they didn't read the forms, as they didn't ask whether we were comfortable or whether the pressure was ok, both of which I have aways been asked when I've had a massage at a salon.
Overall, I really liked the hotel itself. The common rooms, the grounds, the restaurants and the staff were all excellent. The pool and spa area was fine because we were there on a Sunday night/Monday morning and it was fairly quiet. I would definitely go back, but I probably wouldn't bother having any treatments.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Lying within 26 acres of mature, elegant grounds this 60 bedroom historic country house hotel is widely reputed to be the oldest inhabited, moated manor house in England. Sympathetic renovation has provided up-to-the-minute facilities whilst retaining most of its medieval charm and character. Public areas with their fine panelling and mullioned stained-glass windows create a unique historical ambiance; the magnificent Great Chamber is particularly impressive indeed. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Ebookers, LateRooms, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your New Hall Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- New Hall Hotel And Spa
- Hotel New Hall
- New Hall Hotel Sutton Coldfield
- New Hall Sutton Coldfield
- New Hall Hotel & Spa Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands