“Amazing hotel for a romantic weekend break”

New Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Sutton Coldfield
Reviewed 13 October 2010

This is a really lovely hotel, in terms of it's fairytale setting with the moat around the old building, it is beautiful inside and out. If you want a romantic break in a hotel with real character, this is your ideal place. We got a special autumn deal including dinner and a treatment in the spa area. It was more than I would usually pay for a one night break, but in my opinion it was worth it. I normally stay in average hotels, so I can't say I'm a 5-star connoisseur, but it felt quite luxurious to me.

We found the service excellent, especially at reception and in the Terrace restaurant. Our room (number 30) had a gorgeous view overlooking the duck ponds and the separate spa building. It was fairly small but very clean and had everything we needed and more (bathrobes, magazines to read, DVD player, shower gel, book about Birmingham, etc etc). There was a folder with everything you needed to know including history of the hotel, walks you might like to go on around the grounds, services the hotel offer, menus for the various restaurants. The bottom line is, this hotel really go the extra mile to make sure you have everything you need.

The gardens are beautiful and we had a little walk round, but there is a whole country park next door to explore. Despite driving through a housing estate to get to the hotel, you really feel like you're in sprawling countryside.

We ate in the Terrace restaurant (the main restaurant called the Bridge is only open certain days) and the food was excellent. Good choice available, not too fussy and over-indulgent, just decent well-cooked food.

Our only complaint is really the detached spa area. To me, this isn't a "spa hotel" and I don't think they claim to be that. Really it's just a fairly upmarket hotel pool capable of holding about five swimmers comfortably. There were only four loungers around the pool, so if you're someone who enjoys sitting in your robe reading by the pool, you have to hope it's not too busy otherwise you wouldn't have anywhere to sit except two hard marble benches against the wall. The steam room was broken when we went, which was quite disappointing as we enjoy using that, but the small sauna was working.

We had a free 25 minute massage each, and we were't very impressed. For a start, we both got cut short, mine was only 15 minutes and my partner's was 20 mins. We were asked to fill out health forms beforehand - I wrote that I had a tummy upset and felt a bit delicate, my partner wrote that he had played a hard game of hockey the day before and was aching a lot. NEITHER of our therapists said a word to us during the treatment! I can only assume that they didn't read the forms, as they didn't ask whether we were comfortable or whether the pressure was ok, both of which I have aways been asked when I've had a massage at a salon.

Overall, I really liked the hotel itself. The common rooms, the grounds, the restaurants and the staff were all excellent. The pool and spa area was fine because we were there on a Sunday night/Monday morning and it was fairly quiet. I would definitely go back, but I probably wouldn't bother having any treatments.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 October 2010

We loved our stay here. We stayed here for 2 nights whilst visiting local attractions- the Bullring in Birmingham, the Snowdome at Tamworth and Alton Towers. The staff were friendly and helpful, the food we sampled on our first evening was delightful and there was a great wine list (if a little pricey). The hotel and grounds were stunning and the room we had was very quiet, spacious and with a massive bed covered with a mound of pillows and cushions! Bathroom had a few areas which were maybe needing redecorating but nothing major or offputting. We were sad to leave! Didn't try the spa but it seemed popular and I'm sure it was lovely.

Reviewed 10 October 2010

Arrived on a weekend for a family birthday celebration with 12 members of family. My party arrived first and although we knew could not check in until 3 we went to ask where the bar was.

The reception consists of 2 tables and that is all. We were greeted by an extremely rude man who did not even stand to greet us, and asked us what we were doing as we could check in till 3. He seemed baffled as to why we were here (it was. 12.30 lunch). He told us there was a wedding on so we could not use the restaurant and directed us poorly down the hotel- so poorly we managed to walk in on the bride as she came through to meet all the guests!!!!

Returned to reception 2 check we were going the right way, and the man very rudely told us he had told us the right way and we must have got it wrong. Luckily a very nice bar staff member helped us.

Word of advice to hotel- a smile wouldnt go a miss on reception!!

Food and facilities are excellent, however we were annoyed that the a'la carte restaurant would not let us eat there as they only served tables of 6. Why they couldn't serve 2 tables of 6 baffles me? However, waiters and waitresses very nice.

The morning- another complete SHAMBLES!!

Fire alarm goes off at 9am on a Sunday morning. We were unsure what was going on so looked in the corridoor to see if anyone was evacuating. We were told by 1 staff member and 2 senior members of staff that it was a false alarm an no need to evacuate therefore we carried on getting dressed and meanwhile alarm turned off and came down about 5mins later. We got downstairs only to find the fire brigade telling us it was a real and we should be outside evacuating!!! We explained that the woman standing next to him told us it was fine and she agreed even though the fireman seemed annoyed we were in the building and rightly so. I am shocked to see the hotel do not take a fire alarm seriously and evacuate properly, there was not even a roll call so icant imagine the chaos of a real fire!!

Breakfast was nice except I waited 20minutes longer than the rest of my table for my breakfast as I believe the order was forgotten.

And to finish, we had quite clearly booked a dinner bed and breakfast rate, yet all 6 of our rooms had been tallied on the same bill including all the food!! We were dealing with reception for over half an hour trying to sort out the bill!

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed 4 October 2010

My Husband and I used to stay at New Hall long before it was a Hand Picked Hotel. We did our courting in Birmingham and as a small treat my Husband booked an Executive Room at New Hall on Saturday 11th September, we arrived before check in at 3.00pm and were greeted warmly and given an envelope and the key to room 2. It is a large room, right next to reception but it is a disabled room and there is no bath. Part of a relaxing hotel stay is a long soak! We went back to reception and our room was changed to room 29 a very small room and later on we found out that it was a Classic room and not an Executive Room as booked, were they hoping we would not notice the difference between what we booked and what we were given? Apparently nothing could be done because we were the last to check in for an Executive Room and there were none left. Meanwhile my Husband checked the receipts he had been given and there were 2 credit card receipts, one for £140 and one for £152.88 – we had been charged twice. Back at reception and Megan, the Head Receptionist, said that the error had already been noticed and credited – this was only explained to us after we queried it! So where was the credited credit card receipt? Locked in accounts and could not be accessed until Monday! The mistake had been noticed prior to our arrival but we were just handed the envelope, no explanation and no apology from Megan.

Back to the problem with paying for an Executive room and none being available. We waited at reception for over 30 minutes being told by a junior receptionist that our room was being sorted out. Megan never appeared again. Eventually the Duty Manager, Simon Lee, arrived and explained all his problems. We knew the problems but quite frankly wanted a solution as we were now running late for a function we were attending. Simon said he could not change the room situation – room 2 or 29, he could “knock breakfast off the bill or do something at supper that we had booked for later, perhaps the wine.” After listening to all his various problems I suggested the food element of supper could be offered, Simon agreed and we went to our room. Simon promised us the problem with the double charge had been sorted out and at some stage we would get some communication about this.

Later that evening we arrived for supper and stood at the bar/bookings area. The staff rushed around and 4 members of staff completely ignored us. We said “excuse me” to 2 members of staff who just looked at us and walked past! Eventually we were noticed and shown to our table. Simon Lee came and said hello, I think because the wine we ordered was not available and not because of previous problems. Later on we saw Simon again as he was clearing tables on the outside terrace. Making conversation I said ‘it would be nice if they had outdoor heaters for cigar smokers.’ Simon was incredibly rude at this point saying ‘that the hotel did not need or support smoking.’ I asked if it did not help port and brandy sales to accommodate cigar smokers outside – the reply was a very curt ‘our port and brandy sales are already excellent.’ How they could be excellent when we were not even offered coffee and port at the end of the meal is a mystery to us.

Unfortunately the morning paper we ordered was not delivered to our room and when checking out I mentioned this and the receptionist shrugged her shoulders. We were asked if out stay had been good and we replied honestly, the problems with the room had spoilt the occasion, the receptionist really did not care. Simon Lee then appeared and gave us his email address in case we did not hear anything from the hotel regarding the mess over the double charging. I expected that the credit would have been posted first thing on Monday with an apology from the Manager but like the rest of our stay, once again, New Hall fell very short of our expectations. A beautiful hotel set in beautiful surroundings but service falls far short of a luxury hotel.

I wrote to Head Office detailing the above as I felt it unfair to post such a negative review as every business can have a 'one off' bad day. However, I started to realise that the attitude of the Group is reflected down to the hotel. I received an unsigned letter from the Customer Relations Manager advising that "We will be looking into the issues you raise and a reply will be with you shortly." Nearly 2 weeks later having heard nothing , I sent another letter asking the CEO to have the courtesy to reply.

2 days later and a signed letter from the Customer Relations Manager stating that the "new Deputy General Manager has been in contact with you." His unsigned letter arrived the same day even though it had been typed a week earlier! (Obviously only sent when chased by Head Office.) His letter is very apologetic but fails to address several key points and the fact that he can't even be bothered to sign it speaks volumes.

Their final insult is to recompense us for our ruined stay by offering 25% off a room plus an upgrade...........if available. Sorry but we just wanted someone to listen and act on the problems we had experienced, we were not asking for any form of compensation but at the same time we don't intend to spend any more money with Hand Picked Hotels because when there is a problem even Head Office can't be bothered to investigate, take an interest or follow up.

3  Thank Mutleys_Mate
Reviewed 22 September 2010

This hotel is absolutely fabulous! The only thing I had to complain about was the shortness of my stay: I had booked only one night. But I will definitely try to go back one day - this place is really worth it!!

Rooms are absolutely spotless, decoration and furniture perfectly fit the castle-like hotel style. I had some issue with warm water in the bathroom but the staff were so friendly and competent that the issue was fixed within minutes.

Breakfast was amazing too.

I guess the location is not perfect if your traveling on business. And there is definitively nothing much going on around the hotel. But if you're looking for relaxation, then this is the place to be.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 September 2010

We stayed at this hotel for one night, as we were attending a friends wedding at the venue.
The hotel is very impressive from the outside with a moat and beautiful gardens.
We stayed in the courtyard area and our room was spacious, spotless and had a nice view of one of the ponds. The hotel is modern but has managed to keep its traditional charm.
The bar and lounge areas are comfortable and cosy, however drinks were relatively expensive.
As a wedding venue they did an excellent job and i am told by the bride that they were wonderful all day!
We didnt use the spa but there is plenty of information about it in the room, should you want to use it.
We opted to have breakfast in our room and this was easily requested by selecting our choices from the menu card and placing outside our door the night before.
It arrived at the time requested, was plentiful and much needed after the evenings celebrations!
Wonderful wedding venue but also ideal for a relaxing weekend away. Great hotel.

1  Thank Rpops26
Reviewed 17 September 2010

We recently returned from a 4 night stay at this hotel and I can only echo the previous reviewers' comments - this hotel is excellent. A gorgeous country house hotel in every respect apart from being near the centre of Sutton Coldfield, this place is lovely and made us feel relaxed as soon as we arrived. Our Executive Double room was large and nicely decorated with a massive comfy bed, generous sitting area and a gorgeous view over the courtyard and main house. The breakfast was good with lots of choice and we ate from the bar menu one evening in the hotel lounge which was also very good. We took a couple of strolls in the grounds and surrounding country park during our stay, as well as visiting Drayton Manor Theme Park and the Tamworth Snowdome, both of which are only a 15-20 minute drive from the hotel. If you want to eat out, there are plenty of restaurants within a few minutes drive, including a TGI Fridays, Pizza Express, ASK and several non-chain restaurants.

I shouldn't really end before mentioning the hotel staff, all of whom were great, but especially Jenny on reception who was brilliant and helped make the holiday for us. We would definitely go back if we ever wanted to stay in that area again - it was just about perfect.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutton Coldfield
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premie...
#3 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Ladywood
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
#7 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to New Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!