“Stayed here for a Murder Mystery Weekend - what a lovely hotel!”

New Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Sutton Coldfield
Reviewed 12 November 2010

My friend and I stayed here on a Murder Mystery weekend (also recommended - The Killing Game!). It is a lovely old building - that has a very homely atmosphere. We stated 2 nights and our room was lovely - nice comfy beds, dressing gowns etc. We ate in one of the 2 hotel restaurants on the Friday - food was good - but pricey and the wine was very expensive (in my view!). The grounds are extensive and were perfect for a nice autumn walk on the Saturday. There is a nice gym - with very up to date equipment and the spa is small - but more than adequate. The service from the staff was great - and they were very friendly and responsive.... I would certainly recommend for a quiet, away from it all break.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,282)

Reviewed 31 October 2010

New Hall Hotel is part of the Hand Picked range with a Spa centre, we stayed here for a couple of nights for my wife’s birthday on an autumn promotion which was very reasonable. The hotel, similar to most of their range, is a very old building with lots of character set in widespread mature grounds. The hotel originated sometime in the 15th century and has had bits added over the centuries, the main part is surrounded by a moat. I’m glad to see Hand Picked have renovated the hotel without butchering it. Lots of oak paneled rooms, winding corridors, drawing rooms, oldie-worldie sofas and tables, lead glass windows, grand father clocks and manicured outdoor areas – I love it ! My wife commented on the quality of the curtains, must be a female thing ?

The staff were very polite, friendly and helpful. We had dinner twice in the terrace restaurant and while the food was good the range wasn’t extensive. Breakfast was both continental and fried English which was made to order. Lunches were served in various sitting areas. The bar could have a little more to offer on the beer front rather than the usual suspect of lagers and one real ale. Wine wasn’t cheap but I guess it’s comparable to similar establishments and you’re not sitting in some run down pub.

We had no problems with the room which looked to be recently decorated. Big comfy bed with lots of cushions, large flat screen TV with freeview channels and some sky sports plus a DVD player, tea and coffee plus a mini fridge which looked to have complimentary bottles of water.

The Spa is a separate building about 100 metres away in the grounds, Modern and fresh it has a reasonable sized pool, steam room, sauna, Jacuzzi, treatment rooms and a well stocked gym, a pleasant place to while away a couple of hours.
There were a couple of weddings while during our stay, there’s a large function permanent marquis in the grounds and ‘the grand hall’ in the main building which looked to be set up to perform the actual ceremony.

Overall we were very happy with our stay, this is the second time we have used Hand Picked (Edinburgh last year) and they should be applauded for providing something a little different without costing the earth.

Reviewed 27 October 2010

I echo the review above as exactly the same thing happened to us on October 22nd after a long trip from south Wales .
I , however , had booked with Expedia . I handed over my booking confirmation , was asked when I had booked ( 2 weeks earlier, and I had emailed twice , got no reply and so phoned with a request to have guests join us for breakfast .

We were kept waiting 30 minutes whilst apparently the manager was consulted and then were told there were definitely no rooms and could they find us another hotel .Jo told us we should always book direct with the hotel and NOT with an agency, implying they couldn't be trusted.
We had little choice as it was now 8.30 and I did not think of ringing Expedia .
We spent our 2 night break at the perfectly adequate Ramada nearby .The staff were excellent , the breakfast was excellent and it was a good standard 3 * , and I thank them .But ...it was not the 4 star Country hotel weekend for which I had booked paid and anticipated.

I have stayed at Rhinefield House , anotehr Hand Picked on 3 occasions and been well pleased ; I hesitate to risk Hand Picked again

2  Thank Lleisiau
Reviewed 15 October 2010

Arrived at the hotel, which was indeed very pretty, to be told by recption that there was no room for us, as they ahd opverbooked. Despite having all our contact details, and us havign confirmed by phone two days before, they hadn't felt the need to tell us this in advance.

Do not risk booking with this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alan1S
Reviewed 13 October 2010

This is a really lovely hotel, in terms of it's fairytale setting with the moat around the old building, it is beautiful inside and out. If you want a romantic break in a hotel with real character, this is your ideal place. We got a special autumn deal including dinner and a treatment in the spa area. It was more than I would usually pay for a one night break, but in my opinion it was worth it. I normally stay in average hotels, so I can't say I'm a 5-star connoisseur, but it felt quite luxurious to me.

We found the service excellent, especially at reception and in the Terrace restaurant. Our room (number 30) had a gorgeous view overlooking the duck ponds and the separate spa building. It was fairly small but very clean and had everything we needed and more (bathrobes, magazines to read, DVD player, shower gel, book about Birmingham, etc etc). There was a folder with everything you needed to know including history of the hotel, walks you might like to go on around the grounds, services the hotel offer, menus for the various restaurants. The bottom line is, this hotel really go the extra mile to make sure you have everything you need.

The gardens are beautiful and we had a little walk round, but there is a whole country park next door to explore. Despite driving through a housing estate to get to the hotel, you really feel like you're in sprawling countryside.

We ate in the Terrace restaurant (the main restaurant called the Bridge is only open certain days) and the food was excellent. Good choice available, not too fussy and over-indulgent, just decent well-cooked food.

Our only complaint is really the detached spa area. To me, this isn't a "spa hotel" and I don't think they claim to be that. Really it's just a fairly upmarket hotel pool capable of holding about five swimmers comfortably. There were only four loungers around the pool, so if you're someone who enjoys sitting in your robe reading by the pool, you have to hope it's not too busy otherwise you wouldn't have anywhere to sit except two hard marble benches against the wall. The steam room was broken when we went, which was quite disappointing as we enjoy using that, but the small sauna was working.

We had a free 25 minute massage each, and we were't very impressed. For a start, we both got cut short, mine was only 15 minutes and my partner's was 20 mins. We were asked to fill out health forms beforehand - I wrote that I had a tummy upset and felt a bit delicate, my partner wrote that he had played a hard game of hockey the day before and was aching a lot. NEITHER of our therapists said a word to us during the treatment! I can only assume that they didn't read the forms, as they didn't ask whether we were comfortable or whether the pressure was ok, both of which I have aways been asked when I've had a massage at a salon.

Overall, I really liked the hotel itself. The common rooms, the grounds, the restaurants and the staff were all excellent. The pool and spa area was fine because we were there on a Sunday night/Monday morning and it was fairly quiet. I would definitely go back, but I probably wouldn't bother having any treatments.

Reviewed 10 October 2010

We loved our stay here. We stayed here for 2 nights whilst visiting local attractions- the Bullring in Birmingham, the Snowdome at Tamworth and Alton Towers. The staff were friendly and helpful, the food we sampled on our first evening was delightful and there was a great wine list (if a little pricey). The hotel and grounds were stunning and the room we had was very quiet, spacious and with a massive bed covered with a mound of pillows and cushions! Bathroom had a few areas which were maybe needing redecorating but nothing major or offputting. We were sad to leave! Didn't try the spa but it seemed popular and I'm sure it was lovely.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2010

Arrived on a weekend for a family birthday celebration with 12 members of family. My party arrived first and although we knew could not check in until 3 we went to ask where the bar was.

The reception consists of 2 tables and that is all. We were greeted by an extremely rude man who did not even stand to greet us, and asked us what we were doing as we could check in till 3. He seemed baffled as to why we were here (it was. 12.30 lunch). He told us there was a wedding on so we could not use the restaurant and directed us poorly down the hotel- so poorly we managed to walk in on the bride as she came through to meet all the guests!!!!

Returned to reception 2 check we were going the right way, and the man very rudely told us he had told us the right way and we must have got it wrong. Luckily a very nice bar staff member helped us.

Word of advice to hotel- a smile wouldnt go a miss on reception!!

Food and facilities are excellent, however we were annoyed that the a'la carte restaurant would not let us eat there as they only served tables of 6. Why they couldn't serve 2 tables of 6 baffles me? However, waiters and waitresses very nice.

The morning- another complete SHAMBLES!!

Fire alarm goes off at 9am on a Sunday morning. We were unsure what was going on so looked in the corridoor to see if anyone was evacuating. We were told by 1 staff member and 2 senior members of staff that it was a false alarm an no need to evacuate therefore we carried on getting dressed and meanwhile alarm turned off and came down about 5mins later. We got downstairs only to find the fire brigade telling us it was a real and we should be outside evacuating!!! We explained that the woman standing next to him told us it was fine and she agreed even though the fireman seemed annoyed we were in the building and rightly so. I am shocked to see the hotel do not take a fire alarm seriously and evacuate properly, there was not even a roll call so icant imagine the chaos of a real fire!!

Breakfast was nice except I waited 20minutes longer than the rest of my table for my breakfast as I believe the order was forgotten.

And to finish, we had quite clearly booked a dinner bed and breakfast rate, yet all 6 of our rooms had been tallied on the same bill including all the food!! We were dealing with reception for over half an hour trying to sort out the bill!

• Stayed: October 2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutton Coldfield
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premie...
#3 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Ladywood
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
#7 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to New Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!