“Sad 70's throwback”

Brook Marston Farm Hotel
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Sutton Coldfield
Reviewed 29 July 2012

We had been to this hotel for a meal before and enjoyed it,so decided to have a night there, to enjoy a break. We arrived and there was a bit of a delay in room allocation? Not sure why as they did not seem busy. Anyway we did seem to be interrupting staff gossip. Got the key, very old fashioned one , should have realized this was the start of a trip back to the 70's , we went outside to get to the room in the "" new block" across the courtyard. On entering we eventually found the stairs and it reminded us of a Blackpool Guest house that had been linked.No real feel of comfort. then we were faced by the stairs and frankly , the stair carpet was a disgrace, so worn that it could have won a threadbare carpet competition easily.The room was clean and the feel was of 1970's .It did have a flatscreen TV so that was a bit of modernity.All in all a very mediocre decor and furnishings.
Next morning we went for breakfast at 0900 and were greeted ( or rather were not greeted) by a table laid for 2 adjacent to a breakfast club meeting which was noisy and we felt we were imposing, so we moved ourselves to another table.Still no staff at all and we faced the " buffet" table with ONE slice of brown bread and 2 slices of white bread, Yogurt was off as we found when we added it to the small amount of fruit lurking in the pots . After shouting at the kitchen door a staff member arrived and asked if we wanted tea.coffee and did we want something from the kitchen, inferring that they really did not want us to have anything hot.No menue as to what was provided and we were not given any description,as to what was available so we ordered sausage with poached egg and a bacon, tomato and poached egg. We waited and there was a lot of noise from the kitchen whilst the staff discussed our poached eggs in loud voices. The female staff members seemed to think that it looked gross and said so in a loud voice . |Frankly this was the most appalling part of the appalling breakfast service I have ever endured at any hotel .You will see from my other reports I always wish to be fair in my descriptions and feel so strongly that the staff at this hotel need a good shake up or maybe a change of management.Even when we came to checkout gossip was going on on prefence to dealing with customers

Room Tip: no comment
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank rdwooty
MarstonFarm, General Manager at Brook Marston Farm Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

Thank you for your recent feedback.

Please accept my apologies that your experience was not upto our usual standards.

I have discussed your comments with the relevant departments, reminding all staff the importance of good customer service.
I have discussed with the kitchen and restaurant teams in particularly the importance of keeping the breakfast buffet replenished and to ensure that there is a member of staff in the restaurant at all times to greet our guests.

In relation to your comments about the decor and carpets these have already been noted with the hotels directors so that they can be discussed at our next meeting.

Again please accept my apologies and should you be in need of accommodation in the Sutton Coldfield area in the future please contact me so that I can arrange a preferential rate in one of the hotels executive rooms, with a complimentary dinner for two people so that you can experience the usual high quality of food and service provided.

Please contact me personally at the hotel to arrange this booking for you.

Reviewed 22 July 2012

We were given a restaurant discovery voucher as a gift and decided to redeem it at the marston farm hotel. We booked a room at a cost of £91 so that we could make the most of the evening. The room was very nice, bog standard but served the purpose. The restaurant experience however was awful. We were under the impression we would get to sample various dishes from a menu but were told that the five courses consisted of three starters, a main and a pudding, the waitress proceeded to tell us what we would be having - soup, pâté, whitebait, braised beef and mash, lemon tart ( hardly a restaurant experience). She did say that if we did not like anything we could change it, so we asked to see the menu. There was very little choice and the dishes consisted of such things as fish and chips, chicken and mash, bread and butter pudding, chocolate fudge cake. My husband changed his whitebait to a soggy bruschetta and I changed my lemon tart to bread and butter pudding (yuk) and what appeared to be the cheapest packet custard available (i didn't eat it). The soup was served in a coffee cup, the pate was ok but came with a quarter slice of toast, the whitebait was cold, greasy and consisted of more breadcrumbs than fish (i didn't eat it) and as previously stated the bruschetta was soggy. Not much to be said about the beef and lemon tart, they were ok but hardly restaurant food ( my husband ate my beef). The service was ok but we weren't offered drinks or water, we had to ask. We weren't expecting large portions but we were expecting to try a variety of different dishes, what we were offered was very poor, particularly as the cost of the voucher was almost £50. We definitely wouldn't come here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Debra Y

Thank you for your feedback following your recent visit.

Please accept my apologies that you did not enjoy your dining experience in the hotels restaurant.
I have discussed your comments with chef and waiting staff to ensure that there is not a repeat of this experience.
The voucher you refer to is meant to be a set menu with 5 different and individual taster dishes.
To ensure this is clear to any future guests a menu specifically for this has been written, with a detailed description of each course offering an alternative for vegeterians where required.

I would like to invite you back to the hotel with my compliments to try the new menu for this experience if you desire.

Please contact me personally at the hotel to arrange this booking for you.

Again please accept my apologies for the poor experience you recieved and I look forward to hearing from you to arrange your complimentary dinner reservation.

Reviewed 18 May 2012

We booked a room here for a friends surprise 50th which was being held there. As well as the party it was also a fund raising evening for cancer research and for this reason the hotel lowered their room prices but I must say their standards were not lowered. The hotel is situated at the end of a lane but not to far from the M42 making it easily reached and not far from Kingsbury Water park.

We were greeted at the reception and made to feel very comfortable from the very start. We were directed to our room which was nice and spacious with a good size en-suite. I forgot my razor and when I enquired at reception if they had one I could buy I was given a complimentary shaving kit. The evening was a huge success with the hotel contributing in no small way. The bar staff worked hard but stayed friendly and efficient throughout the night. The food was very good with plenty of it and although the evening ran over the hotel and staff did not hurry us and were very patient.

Breakfast was efficiently served with a good selection of cereal, juice etc. The whole atmosphere was relaxed and informal. Overall an a great experience.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
MarstonFarm, General Manager at Brook Marston Farm Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2012

Thank you for your feedback and positive comments about the hotel.

I know that the event raised a large amount of money for the charity, and we are just happy we were involved in this.

Once again thank you for your feedback I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 14 May 2012

I stayed for two nights in April 2012 as part of a large party who were attending a conference at the Belfry (five minutes away by car). The hotel coped extremely well with the influx of people and the staff were friendly and helpful. Our room across the courtyard was spacious and comfortable and we were served an excellent full English breakfast. The location of the hotel is delightful, being right on the canal and although the motorway is not far away one has the impression of being in the heart of the countryside.There is plenty of parking space. This is not an 'ultra-modern' hotel with lots of extra facilities, but I preferred it for that and I would be very happy to return to Marston Farm the next time I am in the area.

Room Tip: I think the rooms across the courtyard facing inwards are probably the quietest, but this is not a n...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your feedback and positive comments about the hotel.

Perhaps on your next visit you will have time to take a walk by the canal and explore the hotel grounds

Reviewed 29 April 2012

Stayed for 2 nights-26th./27th. April. Booked because this hotel was on the list for a restaurant experience we had been given as gift & was in an area not previously visited. Looking @ some of reviews made us a little apprehensive, but glad we ignored them, as other than weather, had 1st. class stay. Staff v.friendly & helpful, room ( 35) spotless with v. comfy bed (best nights sleep for years) & good powerful shower. Food was excellent, good quality & well presented with reasonable choice for dinner & breakfast.
Several reviewers mention decor being tired, which if you want ultra modern it probably is, but we found it in keeping with hotel atmosphere & V.relaxing. Would not hesitate to revisit.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
MarstonFarm, General Manager at Brook Marston Farm Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2012

Thank you for your positive feedback.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed the dining experience and ambience of the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Brook Marston Farm Hotel in the future.
Please do not hesitate to contact me should you wish to make a booking.

Reviewed 19 April 2012

Some time since i last stayed here and must admit it was looking a little tired and dated.Warmly greeted at reception and had a room across the courtyard which was spacious and warm but in need of some attention.The stairway was scuffed and worn.
Made myself comfy in the small lounge and did some work.Wifi access was handy.Had a bar meal where i was working which was just okay - nothing special.
Very peaceful location so a good night's rest was almost guaranteed.Would consider it again if in the area but a refurb would be of great benefit!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank morchwestport

Thank you for your feedback.

Since your stay we have introduced a new bar menu with more variety on this.

Your comments relating to the decor of the hotel have been passed onto the hotels directors.

The hotel is gradually decorating and updating room facilities and this is an ongoing process.

Look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future

Reviewed 17 April 2012

I recently stayed for 1 night at this hotel. The staff were superb, nothing was any trouble and it was clean. If you are going to the NEC it's only about 20 mins away and easy to get to. THe downside is that it is now dated, it could do ith redecorating as the wall paper and furniture look as though they date back to the 70's. It could do with new windows as they are a little draughty and you can hear a bit of traffic. I wouldn't stay here again but it's ok for 1 night if your travelling through. The price I paid was reasonable but I certainly wouldn't pay the actual room rate..... Worth about £35 a night, room only. Breakfast was £9.95 each and although the food was lovely, it wasn't worth that, £6 I can understand, but certainly no more, not unless you can really pig out....

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Daryl M

Thank you for your recent feedback.

I am pleased to hear that the staff at Marston Farm looked after you.

I have passed your comments on to the hotels directors relating to the decor of the hotel.

The hotel is gradually decorating rooms and upgrading bedroom facilities. It appears that on this occasion you were not allocated one of these rooms.

Please let me know if you are in the area in the future so that I can arrange a preferential rate in one of the updated rooms so that you can see what we have been up to.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutton Coldfield
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premie...
#3 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield
Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfie...
#9 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
#1 of 1 in Lea Marston
Drayton Manor Hotel
Drayton Manor Hotel
#3 of 11 in Tamworth

Been to Brook Marston Farm Hotel? Share your experiences!