When my fiancee (now my wife) told me that she had chosen Brook Marston as the venue for our wedding, I didn't think much of it... I mean, what baby wants, baby gets, right...?
When I first visited (6 months before the wedding), I saw the beautiful English Countryside location, and was quite impressed. Upon seeing the old architecture of the building, I was a little concerned (as I prefer more modern designs), but the style of the building grew on me. It is quaint, quirky and feels more welcoming than a modern building ever could. My original thought was that it could do with a bit of modernisation, but then I realised that would detract from the entire feel of the place. It would lose the warmth and comfort that you feel.
My first visit, I decided to dine at the restaurant (as I find this one of the key areas of any hotel), and was much more impressed than I expected (and I expected it to impress me!). The food was well prepared, well presented and tasted great. As an ex-chef myself, to say I was impressed was an understatement, and to be able to add a tender and tasty steak to your meal for £2.50 is just superb.
Upon the second visit (to sample the food for the wedding) I found their chicken breast to be so moist and tender, that we decided on it instantly. The red wine sauce was to die for! Vegetables were steamed and still crisp, which is great, and the presentation was perfect.
The food I experienced was something to be expected from a Michelin Starred restaurant (and I have had some experience in this).
Now on to the service. This was quite simply the greatest asset that this hotel has. The staff are friendly and welcoming. They are never too busy to help you, and always have answers to your questions.
My wife and I never had any problems, due largely to Simon, the assistant manager. If you stay here, then ask for him. He is massively affable, highly knowledgeable and simply put, the most helpful person I have ever met on a hotel staff. The way he managed our wedding on the day, made it run smoothly, and everyone mentioned how helpful he was. I cannot stress enough that I hold this man personally responsible for the fact that NOTHING went wrong on our wedding day. How many people can say that...?
The marquee that was used was for the dinner and the reception was a great space. Light and airy, with some great decorations provided by the hotel. As we were eating in January, we were worried about the cold, but the heaters built in to the marquee were great for keeping my new wife warm and not complaining about the cold (which she does, a lot... even in July...).
The meals were the same high standard we experienced when there was just two of us. This is remarkable, as their chefs managed to put the same quality into a meal for 56 people, as they managed for two people. Also the way the desserts were presented to the top table was amazing. They iced the name and title (Danyal - Groom, Alexandria - Bride, etc.) of the people on the top table onto the serving plates. This was not expected, but another example of how Brook Marston pays attention to detail.
The rooms were nice. The beds comfortable and the linen clean. Pillows were good (one down, one fibre). The bathrooms could do with a little modernisation, but there is nothing that could prevent you from having a comfortable stay. Water pressure and temperature was excellent. We did not use the TV, but it was there if we had wanted it. Tea and coffee facilities were clean and ample.
I look forward to visiting again, and again, and am especially looking forward to taking my wife back here for our anniversary meals.
Danyal and Alexandria Manoochehri
Wedding Date: 4th January 2014
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This 17th-century farmhouse is in quiet countryside on the Birmingham, close to the M42. It has free parking, a tennis court, a restaurant and a bar. The Brook Marston Farm Hotel is less than 2 miles from the Belfry Golf Resort and 10 miles from Birmingham International Airport and the NEC (National Exhibition Centre). It was once owned by Sir Robert Peel, former Prime Minister and founder of the police force. Hotel Rooms: 37. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Brook Marston Farm Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marston Farm Sutton Coldfield
- Brook Marston Farm Hotel Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands