“Desperate need of a makeover!”

Brook Marston Farm Hotel
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Sutton Coldfield
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We stayed here one night following my sisters wedding at Shustoke Farm.

It is in a lovely location and from the outside looks nice but inside is very run down. Tape on the stairs, hideous tatty floral carpets and wallpapers everywhere.

The room was very basis and very very old fashioned. The shower was absolutely terrible, I have stayed in a lot of hotels and this was by far the worst shower I have experienced.

Breakfast was very poor - one toaster on the side, that you had to wait ages for - again the restaurant decoration is just so dated, it feels grubby everywhere.

Shame to end such a wonderful day at my Sister's wedding staying in a run down hotel. If investment could be made in bringing this hotel into the 21st century I think they would do a lot better.

It wasn't cheap to stay here so therefore means it was not good value for money.

The staff I encountered were friendly and the beds were comfortable!

1  Thank tiny_sarah_lou

Reviewed 30 April 2014

I have visited Marston Farm many times now, so I thought it was about time I posted a review here. The first time I visited was 12 years ago for a friend's wedding which went brilliantly and I was struck how nice the Hotel's location, atmosphere and quality of food was. The Hotel is set in lovely countryside yet it's not far at all from the M42 so it provides the best of both worlds.

I visited the Hotel yesterday evening....I had forgotten how attractive and peaceful the courtyard was in the evenings. I know quite a few of the staff quite well now (Dimitri, Jan, Simon and Tony) and I am always made to feel really welcome. So......as highly recommended for individual stays as for full scale events such as weddings. Many thanks again to all the team.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 April 2014

A group of us went for a works meal, we had an initial problem with the group being allocated separate tables but to the credit of the floor manager this was quickly sorted plus a bottle of wine arrived as a sorry which was a really decent gesture as it had not been asked for.

The food was all well prepared and gained many compliments from our party, we had varied things for starters which we all approved of also the main course received the same feedback, plenty of vegetables for everybody and very well cooked, I had the veggie option which as in many other establishments was a lot smaller than my meat eating friends but thats par for the course being a veggie and my constant gripe, but I suppose they do not get many 20 stone plus veggies !!!!
The deserts followed and did not disappoint we could have all ate them again not because we were hungry but more greedy and impressed.

The rooms are what you would expect for the quality of the hotel and nothing bad was said about them.

The staff are all helpful and go out their way to help.

This is not a place to eat and especially drink on a budget but assuming you do not mind treating yourself I would recommend giving it a try.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I have organised a number of family parties at Marston Farm, the next will be my mothers 85th birthday lunch in May. The staff always go out of their way to be helpful and accommadate our needs. A lovely country side setting which is easy to get to with plenty of parking. Lovely food and good service. I would certainly recommend.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I’d like to thank the staff and management at the hotel for making my wives birthday a nice surprise.
The menu when we went was 3 course set menu but with some light bites and children's selections. There were 4 or 5 choices in each course. We both went for the Ham Hock terrine and the sirloin steaks - one medium rare and the other one medium to well done. We got exactly that - not close to it but spot on, they were nice steaks also - excellent food and excellent service.
When we talk of service we mention the waiters and waitresses but never the chef - so thanks Tony for some great food. (apparently he has not long been the chef there)

And then heres the real added service that made the meal complete….
We were cruising the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal fortunately as it turned out this was the first hotel/pub that served food when we were ready to stop. I emailed the Marston Farm Hotel from the canal (which is at the bottom of the car park) to see if they could either add some flowers, or a small card on the table as a surprise for my wife. I wasn’t expecting much as I had given them less than 2 hours notice.
However, when we arrived the table had been nicely dressed with a lace butterfly and candles and a birthday card - that’s pretty good going in less than 2 hours. Not only that but when a complementary pudding arrived there on the top was a candle for her to blow out. Much to my wives delight they did not make her stand up and sing Happy Birthday

Room Tip: We didn't stay in the hotel as we had our Narrowboat moored on the canal.
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Living locally means we visit the hotel to take advantage of the excellent restaurant rather than the accommodation and to date have always enjoyed the eating experience. This means traditional food that is well cooked,served by really good staff at decent prices - well worth a visit.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

A remote location but greeted by very friendly staff, bedroom a playback to the 70's floral bed covers and curtains , bedroom block at back of hotel rather tatty, laundry rooms open for all to see, carpet threadbare on stairs and no lift for those with luggage. Bar small and breakfast disappointing , poached egg and bacon best described as wet . Staff saved the day but if using NEC better alternatives for accommodation.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutton Coldfield
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premie...
#3 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield
Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfie...
#9 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
#1 of 1 in Lea Marston
Drayton Manor Hotel
Drayton Manor Hotel
#3 of 11 in Tamworth

Been to Brook Marston Farm Hotel? Share your experiences!