“A trip down memory lane - but not in a good way”

Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Sutton Coldfield
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I stayed here a couple of weeks ago as part of a corporate booking. First of all, despite everything the staff were generally good humoured and friendly which is what I think must be keeping this place afloat.

The rooms are awful - dated, and worn out. Half hearted attempts have been made at refurbisment but this only serves to highlight the threadworn nature of the rest of the room. Paintwork is worn away, the chrome has been rubbed off teh bathroom fittings, and in my room at least, a pervading mildew smell from the shower curtain. The shower required a vice like grip to turn on and off, the toilet seat was hanging by a thread. The general ambience throughout the hotlel is similary worn out.

However worse than this was the food. The meal we were served on our first night is without doubt the worst attempt at corporate catering I have come across in 35 years: no choice, lukewarm: essentailly some tough old meat in a can of tomato soup and some vegetables thrown in. Desert was a slice of swiss roll and aerosol cream. No drinks - a water dispenser in teh corner of the room and some plastic cups. Utterlyawful - laughably so. However it did have the effect of helping us bond as a group. After complaining the food got marginally better during the week.

Anyone with a poor sense of direction might wish to employ a guide to get from reception to the bedroom and back. One wag in our group asked if he could claim expenses for his journey from room to breakfast. Unsurprisingly the wifi therefore fails to work in many rooms.

What sums this place up is that one of our colleagues who joined us durng the week was asked at reception whether she was there to check-in or complain. What is utterly astonsihing is that this hotel is apart of a corporate brand. If you enjoy a challenge and wondered what it was like to stay in a hotel behind the Iron Curtain in the 1980s then this is the place for you.

Room Tip: There is no advice I can give.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Ramadasutton, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to note your observations following your recent stay as part of a corporate booking at Ramada Birmingham, Sutton Coldfield.

Firstly, I appreciate your kind comments around the team, who are genuinely friendly and accommodating and strive to ensure each guest experience is the best that it can be. Please be assured that our aim is to not only meet, but to exceed expectations.

We are a mid market three star property, and whilst I concur that investment in parts of the property would be welcome, our aim is for facilities to be clean and well maintained.

I do appreciate you sharing your observations around the dining experience and having spoken to the Chef he advised me that the beef served on the Monday night was pan fried beef in a mushroom, tomato and cream sauce with rice together with a mixture of vegetables. I can confirm that we do not use aerosol cream at all in the hotel and the dessert you refer to was a rich chocolate roulade had been piped with fresh cream as a decoration and accompaniment. I was gratified however to learn the food was more to your liking as the week went on, and rather than this being as a result of a complaint, was due to my team discussing requirements with the group organiser and identifying preferences to which we could respond. Your booking had initially been communicated via a third party agency with a budget conscious menu. I note no reference to the private breakfast dining arrangements made daily and trust these were to your liking.

I would also concur that the hotel has an unusual layout, having been developed over the years in a low rise style. Most rooms benefit from views over the lake or gardens, and are generally quiet with no passing traffic or external noise to disturb. Having a non-conforming traditional style can also be part of our appeal. Having walked the route from the third floor bedrooms to reception at a leisurely pace in heels, I confirm this took me no more than two minutes.

General Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,558)

997 - 1,003 of 1,558 reviews

Reviewed 21 November 2013

I stayed here one night on business and attended a conference at the hotel the following day.

The hotel is set in some well-established grounds and appears to be an old house that has been extensively extended. The car park is enormous and there should never be any shortage of spaces. The hotel is just off of a mainly residential through road.

Check-in was swift enough and the staff pleasant and courteous. The journey to my room seemed a long way through tatty, cold corridors, My room was a sad, scruffy affair. I was relieved to find the linens were clean and so I didn't change rooms - I was tired enough without the additional hassle! The carpet was not dirty, but certainly not clean either. The bathroom was in a poor state with peeling sealant, numerous cracked tiles, shower knobs that fell off in one's hand and a very dated appearance. It was also a relief that I am used to dealing with a number of programming languages as it took around ten button presses just to get the damn TV on (these menu structures found in some hotels are infuriating).

After a lukewarm shower, I went to the bar and met-up with my colleague. We had a couple of pints of Guinness and a burger. The drinks were fine, but they damn-well should be at £4-95 each. The burger at £11 was mediocre to say the least - ten chips and a barely warm beef patty (not because it was served rare or medium, but because it hadn't been re-heated properly I suspect).

After an uncomfortable night I went for breakfast. The experience wasn't enhanced by merry bloody Christmas carols playing over breakfast - do we need the music? The food was OK, but something had gone awry with the sausages as they had a heavy flavour of chinese five spice to them. Either they were special sausages not suited to breakfast or were cooked in a pan not properly cleaned from a previous meal.......

The conference hosted by the hotel went OK and the hotel staff were again very good at their jobs. The food was actually rather good for budget mass-catering. Sadly, the toilets in the conference area were dirty (and one revoltingly blocked) and the room itself was tired. The chairs were scratched and rusty. I wouldn't stake my businesses' reputation on this hotel for a conference/event.

Quite simply, this place needs a multi-million pound renovation. If you want a similarly-priced hotel, go for a nearby Premier Inn. If you need conference facilities, look elsewhere.

Room Tip: No comment
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Ramadasutton, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Dear Guest

I am finding it difficult to establish who you are and which conference you were with. May I suggest you contact the hotel direct in order that we may look into your report further.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

Didn't get off to a great start on arrival, unfriendly and not welcoming. My room was very cold and although I spoke to a member of staff in person and on the phone asking if they could so something about the heating no one came to sort it out. I had to sleep in a jumper! Bathroom a bit grubby and still had the last occupants half empty shower gel. Cold tap on bath couldn't be moved so after I run a hot bath it was too hot to get into! Two pillows on the bed one without a pillow case. All I can say about breakfast is hot plates/cold food. Very disappointing overall.

Room Tip: Some rooms are very far from reception.

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your thoughts regarding your personal experience whilst staying at our hotel recently and it is with regret that your experience with us was less than satisfying. It would be very much appreciated if you could contact the hotel directly, so we can identify specifically who and why shortcomings arose.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

Friendly helpful stafff. Stayed in executive room on the Sunday deal, worth doing ,very pleasant,clean nice views over water.Gym facilities better than most hotels although a little out dated.Good breakfast.

Room Tip: Stayed on a Sunday evening on the deal.Therefore had a better room. Worth doing,especially if you li...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Ramadasutton, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to note your observations following your recent stay with us at Ramada Birmingham, Sutton Coldfield, in one of our Executive rooms .

I am delighted you had a pleasant experience with us overall. I sincerely appreciate your kind comments regarding the staff being friendly and I am glad you enjoyed breakfast .

Can I take this opportunity to suggest that when you choose to stay at the hotel again, take a moment to follow our hotel Facebook and Twitter accounts to hear of offers, team news and community events. Do remember you can also upgrade to an executive room, subject to availability, to guarantee lake or garden views.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

We have recently returned from a weekend stay at this hotel and have to say that our experience seems to be at odds with some of the recent reviews. We found the hotel to be comfortable, clean and above all a place where the service provided by all the staff was exceptional. We would heartily recommend Sunday Lunch which was excellent. The breakfasts were also brilliant. Overall we had a lovely stay and would recommend this hotel to anyone who values good service and good food.

We would recommend a trip to the Birmingham 'German Christmas Market'. Go on the train from Chester Road-very economical on a cheap day return!

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your experience of your recent positive weekend stay at the Ramada Sutton Coldfield and for giving us such a glowing report. We were delighted to hear that you had such a good time and enjoyed Sunday Lunch and Breakfast. I do hope you were able to take a walk around our splendid grounds and take time to utilise our leisure facilities.

I also gather a good time was had by all at the German Christmas Market too, brilliant!

Can I take this opportunity to suggest you take a moment to follow our hotel Facebook and Twitter accounts to hear of offers, team news and community events. Do remember you can also upgrade to an executive room subject to availability to guarantee lake or garden views. We look forward to being of service to you again in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 19 November 2013

We have stayed here three times now and despite a good first visit, we will not be returning. The second visit was a spoilt by excessive noise from the hotel generator, for which we were offered an upgraded complimentary return stay (can 't fault the after sales customer service there) but again the hotel let itself down. The check in was extremely slow and despite being an executive room, the bed was very uncomfortable and worse, the shower was either very very hot or freezing cold. When we rang room service there was "nothing they could do, other than call out the maintenance engineer which could take up to an hour to arrive" - never mind the time to fix it! As I was already in my pyjamas at this point and my husband had just experienced the "freezing cold" shower, we were not impressed. Breakfast was very average (I am a porridge lover but even I couldn't face the very gloopy dried out stuff on offer) and the service was slow and seemingly dis-organised.

I am generally easily pleased and not one for complaining over minor details - have a look through my other reviews - but this was an extremely disappointing visit. We will not be returning again even for a complimentary stay!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Ramadasutton, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your thoughts regarding your personal experience whilst staying at our hotel recently and it is with regret that your experience with us was less than satisfying. I will be contacting you direct to discuss this matter further.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

The staff at this hotel were overall very nice pleasant welcoming people but no matter how pleasant you just cannot mask all that is wrong with this hotel.

In this day and age WIFI is a must have, this hotel offers internet through there TV which is akin to internet when it first came out. Patience by the bucket load is required. They do offer another way of getting the internet which is an RJ45 Cable which allows you to hardwire straight into your laptop, yes I said a laptop, this hotel assumes people still use them, if you do your in luck.

So we was put on the 3rd floor which has no direct route via the lift you have to walk for approximately 2.5 minutes after you have got the lift to the 1st floor which is the quickest route. 2 phones were provided in the hotel room, both did not work, we had to order food via our own phone and I think a wake up call would have been hard to get given the problem with the phones.

Pricey - 2 cans of redbull £7.80, maybe 3 years ago but most companies/restuarants/hotels have set pricing a little more reasonably for this drink now.

Really disappointed with the hotel's lack of self promotion too, they marketed breakfast in bed at £20.50 per person and had a little brochure in the room, I searched through the tv to find guest amenities etc but could not find pricing on the breakfast which i learned as I was leaving was only £11.50 from the restaurant and I get the impression the food in this place is pretty good so disappointed did not get the relevant information on my arrival or left in the room for us to look into.

The ironing room - Would help if it had a sign on the door, they sign post directions to ironing room and then when you get to it it is not signed in any way so had to ask a maid who was very helpful and showed me to it. - Bit of a waste of time anyway as the ironing room iron is as bad as the iron in the room.

I cannot get over the internet though, if they have an RJ45 cable to supply internet what is the issue in getting some form of WIFI adapter/router in the rooms, you could even rent them out???

Room Tip: If you need WIFI do not stop here, if you have mobility issues make them aware as I would definitely...
1  Thank Rcouch2702
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutton Coldfield
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premie...
#3 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Brook Marston Farm Hotel
Brook Marston Farm Hotel
#8 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Travelodge Birmingham Sutton Coldfield
Travelodge Birmingham Sutton Col...
#5 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Royal Hotel
Royal Hotel
#10 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
The Belfry
The Belfry
#1 of 1 in Wishaw

Been to Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield? Share your experiences!