“Good and bad points”

Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Sutton Coldfield
Reviewed 31 December 2013

The good points are that we were promised two rooms in a quiet part of the hotel, which we had. When I emailed to say that we were attending a funeral the reply said that both rooms had been upgraded which I really appreciated, but I was surprised that the rooms were upgrades as they were just average rooms.
Breakfast was more than adequate with plenty of choice, the slight irritation was that we spotted the porridge after we had eaten, maybe someone mentioning that there was a separate table that had porridge etc on would be handy.
Irritations were the room entry system which was a plastic card, Over 24hrs I had to change it 3 times as it would not allow us entry into our room. One receptionist said that you must not put it by your mobile phone, another receptionist said don't put it by your car key, whatever the reason when you eventually arrive at your bedroom which was a good distance from reception and then find you cannot get into your room it is not a good system and should be changed, even the cleaners admitted that this causes them constant problems.
Another irritation was how cold the pool water was, it certainly wasn't a relaxing swim and the Jacuzzi was just as cold, not ideal in the winter.
My last irritation was on the morning of the funeral, I explained to the receptionist that we were attending a funeral and would be bringing approximately 20 people back for drinks etc afterwards. I sorted a quiet corner in the lounge and asked if this was okay, I was told that this was not a problem and that the area would be reserved for our use.
When we arrived back at the hotel (cold and very wet) the area had been reserved, so we promptly seated everyone and ordered all the drinks, within 20 mins I was told that we all needed to move as we were blocking a fire exit. I did explain that it was clearly not blocked as people were using the door and we had left the walkway clear, but I was told that no we had to move so everyone had to start picking up bags/coats/drinks etc and move...ridiculous really and very inconvenient.
So although the hotel met our needs as it was only a one night stay, it is not somewhere I would return to.

Room Tip: All I can say on this, is that some rooms are quite a distance from reception, so if you don't w...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Ramadasutton, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your thoughts regarding your personal experience whilst staying at our hotel recently and I am pleased to learn that you found both rooms to your liking and the breakfast more than adequate, it would appear overall you had an enjoyable overnight stay with us.

I am sorry to hear that there were a few irritations endured during your stay. As a team we are completely committed to offering warm hospitality, great food and facilities that are commensurate with a three star mid market property.

Guest safety is paramount to the hotel and if the fire exit was blocked in any way, then it would be necessary to ensure that there was no obstruction in front at all and I apologise if this caused a little inconvenience to your gathering, but better to be safe than sorry.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

First time we have had Christmas lunch out , so the four of us didn't know what to expect , however it was thoroughly enjoyable from the moment we arrived .
Drinks in the bar then escorted through to a big room but with tables nicely spaced
super menu with a range of choices not just standard turkey but also on offer was
beef wellington and a fish dish.5 courses in all served with a smile !
We shall be back next year ......

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Ramadasutton, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Dear Guest (we know who you are, however trip doesn't allow us to use it!)

Thank you for sharing your positive experience around Christmas Lunch that you enjoyed here with the family at Ramada Birmingham, Sutton Coldfield. I am absolutely delighted to note you found the whole experience thoroughly enjoyable from the moment you arrived.

Our team is genuinely friendly and accommodating and they all try to make sure that our guests experience is the best it can be and this appears reflective in your report , being served with a smile.

We very much look forward to being of continued service to you, your family and friends. Please take a look at and 'like' our Facebook page at Ramada Birmingham, Sutton Coldfield to keep abreast of news and offers we have throughout the year.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

Stayed in Suite 5102 for 5 nights over the Christmas period. Excellent parking but quite a trek to the room, even more so when the key cards failed to work! However the room was well appointed, warm, had a comfortable bed and was quiet. The toilet/shower room was also of a good size, included toiletries and had plenty of hot water. However during our stay this room appeared not to be cleaned on some days. The towels however were changed, despite us following the request " to do you bit for the environment ". On the last day only one set of towels was left! It did not also appear that the room was hoovered, as the same glitter, there on arrival, was in the same place when we left.
Downstairs was completely different, a good sized well run bar and an immaculate dining area, tastefully decorated for the time of year. This was used for the well presented and diverse buffet breakfast along with lunch and dinner as well. The dinner menu was not vast but still varied and reasonable value.
As we were awaiting the arrival of a new grandchild we kept having to extend our stay. This was managed exceptionally well by the reception staff, who were able to keep us in the same room throughout.
A really nice touch was that on hearing the news of the arrival of our new granddaughter one of the waitresses at breakfast disappeared and then returned with three " shiny " new 2013 coins for her.
My wife and "expectant" daughter-in-law used the pool but found the water cold.

Room Tip: Compare room rates on different sites. The hotel is built into the geography of the land so ask for...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Ramadasutton, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your thoughts regarding your personal experience whilst staying at our hotel recently and I am pleased to learn that overall it appears you had an enjoyable stay with us and many congratulations on becoming new grandparents.

I am pleased to hear that the staff were able to assist you efficiently throughout your stay and with regards to housekeeping I would like to clarify that the rooms are cleaned daily and fresh towels are provided, unless the “do not disturb sign” is displayed whereupon the towels are left outside the door. For long stay guests, the bed linen is changed every 3rd night.

We look forward to being of service to you again and can I take this opportunity to suggest you take a moment to follow our hotel Facebook and Twitter accounts to hear of offers, team news and community events. Do remember, you can also upgrade to an executive room, subject to availability, to guarantee lake or garden views

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Booked in at a little after 3pm, Room clean and well located. However, we were disturbed by the fact the occupants of the room next door were smoking in the room albeit hanging out of the window. consequently our room was invaded by the smoke!after speaking to reception on two occasions nothing was dealt with! A lumpy mattress and noisy heating system added to our discomfort and so we had very little sleep this night.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your thoughts regarding your personal experience whilst staying at our hotel recently and it is with regret that your experience with us was less than satisfying, however I am gratified you found the room clean and well located.

I am sorry to learn you were disturbed by the occupants of the room next door who were less than considerate regarding other guests. We are a non smoking establishment and housekeeping are usually attentive to reporting smoking and/or smoking damage for specialist cleaning and we do charge guilty parties. On this occasion no report has been made and I am confident that had there been the availability to change your room then reception would have done their utmost to assist.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Arrived hotel 27/12/2013 booked for 6 days (Booked August).
On arrival the family room we requested within the hotel was not available and was informed we had been transferred to the annex not walking outside from the Hotel to our room with young daughters which we declined and was shown to an alternative family room.
The light within the bathroom was not working and the heating in our daughters room was not working & cold. (Daughters 6 & 4) After the Duty Manager and bar staff attempted to repair we was informed by the Duty Manager we would have to go into the annex for one night but promised we would be upgraded to a suite, room 5 at 12pm the following day,At breakfast we was informed that room was not available and an alternative room would not be available until 7pm this evening maybe 9pm after cleaning with our young daughters that was not an option.The Duty Manager was of no help we requested a refund charged for one nights stay even though we had not unpacked and was not allowed to relax (Evening meal was provided free by the Hotel) Booked out very distressed and our daughters upset.
Mrs L Pavone (Rome Italy)

Room Tip: Book an alternative Hotel
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Ramadasutton, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your thoughts regarding your personal experience whilst staying at our hotel recently.

We do not believe your report accurately reflects the full proceedings of events; and the staff did their utmost to resolve the matter. It is with regret that your experience with us was anything less than satisfying.

Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel, rooms are standard, 24 hour bar was convenient, the faults are the shower was either to hot or cold no meeting in the middle, blankets on the bed are very thin and room was cold throughout the night, walls are thin. Was an ok stay for one night, and the lights need to be left on to get to see yourself getting ready has they are energy saving bulbs.

Stayed: December 2013
Ramadasutton, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience following your stay at our hotel and we are delighted you found the hotel nice and the facilities convenient.

Our team is genuinely friendly and accommodating and they all try to make sure that our guests feel like they are at home when they are here. We do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

I am little late adding my review! Sorry!

I held a charity event in the lakeside suite on the 29th nov, and although when I arrived at 2 to set up the room was far from ready to decorate the team could not have been more helpful in particular Ashley who helped so much and sorted any issue or requested immediately cannot fault at all a credit to the team, there was also a lady helping him, young girl who was amazing but sadly I have forgot her name I am sorry for that!

The food in the evening was yummy, the room was perfect and the staff extremely helpful.

I also stayed in the hotel, previously I had stayed in a suite so anything less would obviously not match but the room was clean, comfortable and ha enough room, with a balcony too which was lovely! I hadn't added a card to the room so when I tried to order room service I was unable to even though I was able to pay cash, only a slight niggle as I was so hungry! But haven't impacted on my review, I hope I am able to hold more charity events here in the future. And hopefully next time I'll be able to use the Swimming pool! Thank you again

• Stayed: November 2013
Ramadasutton, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2013

Dear Event Organiser,

Thank you for your lovely review, and we are so pleased to learn of your success in raising funds for Macmillan Cancer Support, a hugely worthwhile cause and coincidentally our company nominated charity this year too! we are delighted you found the team friendly and welcoming and have passed on your kind comments, especially to Ashley. It would be our pleasure to see you again, maybe this will become an annual event! If you have any photo's do send them to the hotel as we are happy to feature events on our Facebook.

For your information, we also have some of your blue chair cover sashes still, if you can call to arrange pick up!

Best wishes for a happy Christmas,

Fiona and the team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutton Coldfield
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premie...
#3 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
New Hall Hotel & Spa
New Hall Hotel & Spa
#2 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Brook Marston Farm Hotel
Brook Marston Farm Hotel
#8 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Travelodge Birmingham Sutton Coldfield
Travelodge Birmingham Sutton Col...
#5 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Royal Hotel
Royal Hotel
#10 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
The Belfry
The Belfry
#1 of 1 in Wishaw

Been to Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield? Share your experiences!