“not up to standard”

Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Sutton Coldfield
Pickering, United Kingdom
“not up to standard”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We have stayed in Ramada hotels in this country and abroad so chose Sutton Coldfield expecting it to meet similar standards. We chose an executive room as we were told these had been recently refurbished to a high standard. Our room was a disappointment not particularly large but having no facility for placing cases except the floor. The television was small and there was no room information. The bathroom boasted a japanese shower which was obviously a problem .the floor was puddled on arrival and the tiles water stained. When using the shower we were forced to make dams with towels to prevent a paddling pool forming.The room maid was informed of the problem and it was very obvious to her. She was also aware that two people were occupying the room but we had to ask for a second set of towels daily and we were only left one packet of biscuits and minimum tea and sugar. We were in the midlands to visit friends and were lunching out daily so we were eating in the club bar in the evenings,good choice of food and good service until the last night. Ramada were hosting a staff jolly and service was poor, food put on table with no cutlery or condiments.. after realising none was going to be brought I had to push through staff to make a request at the bar. Breakfasts were buffet style and most hotels seem to have worked out how to do it ,sadly SC does not appear to have done so ,we changed our time of breakfast to try to escape dried up bacon and eggs but to no avail and when mentioned at reception my comments were met with incredulity . It was interesting to note that on the Saturday morning following the staff jolly and overnight stay of delegates the range of food on offer in fruits ,cold meats and quality of cooked food greatly improved. Perhaps Ramada should realise that it is paying guests that keep their hotel open and staff employed.

Room Tip: executive rooms have been refurbished and overlook the lake but no lift to second floor executive ro...
1 Thank kevin d
Ramadasutton, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear Guest - we know who you are so forgive us not using your name however Trip doesn't allow us to!

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to note your observations following your recent stay at Ramada Birmingham, Sutton Coldfield and I do appreciate the constructive feedback given upon your departure to the Front of House Manager regarding your experience. As a reflection of this conversation, all staff have been informed of your feedback and we are continually committed to ensuring we meet guest expectations. As you mention an event taking place in the hotel on the last night of your stay, I welcome the opportunity to clarify this was not a staff party. It was the annual awards of our management company, operators of over 60 hotels nationally, at which individual and team successes are recognised, and we were delighted to be selected as the venue for the third successive year. Some aspects of service and in particular, breakfast had been enhanced within the event theme, however we have duly noted your suggestion that the cold meat selection is maintained as an ongoing standard.

I hope you would agree our team is genuinely friendly and accommodating and strives to ensure each guest experience is the best that it can be and I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us overall, in particular dining in the bar each evening, awarding 4 out of 5 in your overall ratings.

May I take this opportunity to suggest that should you choose to stay at the hotel again, take a moment to follow our hotel Facebook and Twitter accounts to hear of offers, team news and community events. Do remember you can also upgrade to an executive room, subject to availability, to guarantee lake or garden views.

Fiona Lockyer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights and cannot fault it. All staff were very friendly and helpful (especially the breakfast waiting staff and Simon on reception). Room was spacious and clean. The breakfast buffet was truly wonderful with a wide variety and all very good quality, tasty fayre. Although we didn't use the pool, gym etc. (only through lack of time), we did have a look and they seemed a nice addition to have on a longer stay. Many thanks - we will return again when opportunity arises and highly recommend to others.

1 Thank angie w
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your recent positive stay at the Ramada Sutton Coldfield and for giving us such a glowing report. We were delighted to hear that you had such a good time and it is a shame you were not able to make use of the leisure facilities, maybe next time!

May I take this opportunity to suggest that when the opportunity arises and you choose to stay at the hotel again, take a moment to follow our hotel Facebook and Twitter accounts to hear of offers, team news and community events. Do remember you can also upgrade to an executive room, subject to availability, to guarantee lake or garden views

We look forward to be of service to you again in the future.

Kind Regards

Fleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We stayed for just the one night when visiting family in the area and I had booked a double exec. room. Upon arrival we found that it didn't have a bath - just a shower. When I asked for a room with a bath we were quickly re-allocated another room which was really a suite!! Very spacious and comfortable, looking out over the grounds and lake. The staff were helpful and friendly together with an excellent restaurant and menu choices. All in all, excellent value for the cost.

Room Tip: Request an exec room.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mike0856
Ramadasutton, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to convey your observations following your recent one night stay at the Ramada Birmingham, Sutton Coldfield.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and felt it was excellent value for money.

I would like to take this opportunity to suggest that should you choose to stay at the hotel again, do take a moment to follow our hotel Facebook and Twitter accounts to hear of offers, team news and community events. Do remember you can also upgrade to an executive room subject to availability to guarantee lake or garden views.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2014

After reading the reviews on here, I nearly didn't go but as my booking was prepaid, I took the chance.

I am glad I did.

My room was most probably a refurbished one. It was very spacious, as was the bathroom. Both were very clean and well equipped (ironing board, iron, heated towel rail, two extra heaters, armchairs, extra bedding and extra towels).

Having stayed at various other Ramadas, I was not best pleased with the lack of free wi-fi at this particular hotel, however I suppose the trade off is having the lake and free leisure facilities (which appeared to be open to non residents and therefore might be off putting to some hotel guests).

Although I viewed them, I didn't use the pool etc nor the restaurant but they seemed quite nice.

The staff were friendly and check in/out went smoothly.

Room Tip: If you intend to use the pool, ask for a room close by otherwise you could have a long walk.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to note your observations following your recent stay at the Ramada Birmingham, Sutton Coldfield.

I am so glad you pursued your booking and sampled the overall experience for yourself. I am also delighted that you had a pleasant stay with us overall, finding everything in the main to your liking. I also appreciate your kind comments regarding the conduct of the staff and the smooth check in and out, which all adds to the customer experience.

Blackpool, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2014

We stayed here for one night on a National Holidays package weekend to see Strictly Come Dancing Live at the Birmingham NIA (very good show!!) The Hotel throughout our stay was very comfortable and all the areas that we saw exterior & interior were well maintained and clean and definitely a notch up from the regular budget Hotels we have come accustomed to on such weekend trips. The evening meal was served in the oak beamed Club Room restaurant and was a table d'hote 3 course menu and the food served for all three courses was excellent and the staff throughout were attentive & friendly, breakfast was a self service arrangement and anything & everything was available including crumpets and again the staff were friendly & attentive throughout. The bedroom we stayed in was very clean, comfortable and quiet throughout our stay with tea & coffee making facilities, hairdryer, iron & ironing board available. Nice size TV and the shower worked as it should. The only problematic thing we found was the lifts with the floors being on different levels and especially if you didn't read the signs correctly at the entrance to the lift and in one lift pressing for the first floor would only take you to the second floor. With having different floor levels I could only see it as a nightmare for disabled visitors with sets of stairs here and there in the rabbit warren of corridors and the set we had to go down had a disabled lift to take wheelchairs down the stairs but it was out of order and the controls were taped over. All in all a very pleasant comfortable stay. The Hotel also has a leisure club but we didn't use these facilities during our stay so not able to give a review on this.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 123 which was a quiet, clean room.
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your views about your recent stay at the Ramada Sutton Coldfield and I am glad you enjoyed yourselves at Strictly!

I am delighted that your reflections convey a really positive experience with us overall and I concur that the hotel does have an unusual layout, having been developed over the years in a low rise style. Most rooms benefit from views over the lake or gardens, and are generally quiet with no passing traffic or external noise to disturb. Having a non-conforming traditional style can also be part of our appeal. We do also have a mobility lift with wheelchair access to the upper level and upon request will also endeavour to accommodate guests in our most conveniently accessible rooms.

Although I note that you are not disabled yourself, there is a link on our website, entitled access and facilities, providing comprehensive visual and written descriptions around access, along with information for internal routes and explanations around access symbols, for those who may require it.

Can I take this opportunity to suggest you take a moment to follow our hotel Facebook and Twitter accounts to hear of offers, team news and community events. Do remember you can also upgrade to an executive room subject to availability to guarantee lake or garden views. We look forward to being of service to you again in the future.

Kind regards

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Stayed here on Friday night. Room was clean with everything you could ask for. Bathroom clean & tidy. Good decor. Staff really friendly & helpful. Food excellent with good choices. Leisure facilities great although pool & jacuzzi a little cool. Lovely grounds and also benefits from a hair salon & beauty rooms. A lovely night away for a good price. Afternoon tea was a little bit of added luxury.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to note your observations following your recent stay with us at Ramada Birmingham, Sutton Coldfield.

I am delighted you had a pleasant experience with us and I hope you were able to enjoy the lovely grounds during your stay. I sincerely appreciate your kind comments regarding the staff being friendly and helpful and its fantastic you were able to indulge in a little added luxury with afternoon tea.

Somerset, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I came here on a works conference for a few days and wasn't sure what to expect. The main front of the hotel is lovely and has nice grounds, however we were clearly put in the end of the hotel which was yet to be renovated... Bathroom was extremely dated with cracked tiles and stained floors with limescale around the bath, sink and toilet. The rooms were an okay size but not the cleanest... hairs on sheets! The room was also extremely cold... the heater didn't work in the room so I had to report it to reception.

The staff you could not fault!!!! they were lovely and very friendly!! food was yummy and couldn't complain with the choices on offer!!

Would come again if I stayed in an up to date room but wouldn't come out of my way.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Ramadasutton, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your thoughts regarding your personal experience whilst staying at our hotel recently and it is with regret that your experience with us was less than satisfying. I am sorry for the shortcomings you identified with your room as my housekeeping team is committed to ensuring rooms are clean and well maintained and your experience was certainly an oversight on our part. However I am gratified you found the staff faultless, the food “yummy” with a wide variety of choice and that you enjoyed the ambience of our splendid grounds.

I would like to have the opportunity of welcoming you again in the near future and take this opportunity to suggest that should you choose to stay at the hotel again, to take a moment to follow our hotel Facebook and Twitter accounts, hear of offers, team news and community events. Remember you can also upgrade to an executive room subject to availability to guarantee lake or garden views.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutton Coldfield
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premie...
#3 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Brook Marston Farm Hotel
#8 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Fairlawns Hotel And Spa
Travelodge Birmingham Sutton Coldfield
Travelodge Birmingham Sutton Col...
#5 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Lea Marston Hotel & Spa
Lea Marston Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Lea Marston

Been to Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield? Share your experiences!