“A quiet Hotel close to business activities”

Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Sutton Coldfield
Biella, Italy
“A quiet Hotel close to business activities”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

A nice and quite Hotel close to the city of Birmingham and conveniently close to major roads. Very good service and very comfortable rooms specially the 5000 series. Some carpets needs some refurbishing and free internet is only in the Lobby area. No Wi-Fi in the room! I would really do something for this! Good value!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Ramadasutton, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to note your observations following your recent stay at Ramada Birmingham, Sutton Coldfield

We appreciate guest feedback and are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, finding the hotel comfortable and the location convenient. We are committed to ensuring we meet guest expectation and I concur that some aspects of the hotel would benefit from investment. As well as WIFI in the bar area we do have good coverage in our leisure club and adjoining relaxation areas and we are working on a solution, that extends across the large expanse of our hotel layout.

We certainly look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you again should you be in the area at any time.

Fiona Lockyer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
Colwyn Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Had to write this review after staying here as I feel the general reviews of this place are really unfair. I booked this hotel with a little trepidation after reading these reviews but it was cheap and was near to the NEC but not within the city.

How you feel about this hotel will depend on what's important to you when staying in a hotel and for me it's got to be clean, comfortable and have a good breakfast and that is what this hotel is.

Yes, it's dated but that should be apparent to anyone looking at the photos, it is obviously not new so no surprise there. I stayed for two nights with my son last weekend and we had a great time. The layout of the hotel is interesting and if you don't like walking a way then ask for a room near reception because it is very spread out. However, we thought it was great fun finding our way to our room and working out different routes, just depends on how you view things.

The room was clean and the beds were really comfy, bathroom clean and really nice complimentary items. Really quite, was not disturbed by other guests noise. Only noise I heard at night was an owl outside the window!

Breakfast was great, usual choices but staff were really friendly and accommodating, regularly saw staff chatting with residents - I genuinely don't know how other reviewers can say staff were rude or unhelpful, I didn't see any of this. Breakfast times were really generous as well. Very pleased also with the late check-out 2pm! No need to rush in the morning and time for a swim before leaving.

Swimming pool was really good for playing around in, Jacuzzi was a bit cold but at least it wasn't full of chlorine which the hot ones usually are and the steam room and sauna were fine, good temperatures. The leisure facilities did look as if they needed a revamp though, I have to admit.

Overall though, I think this hotel is reasonable for the price you pay, not a luxury break but I feel it certainly does not deserve the poor reviews Wish people would lighten up and look for the positives rather than focusing on the negatives. I would definitely stay there again if I needed to visit Birmingham.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near reception if you don't want to have fun getting to your room.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Ramadasutton, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience following your recent stay at our hotel and we are pleased you found the facilities clean, comfortable and value for money.
We are also delighted you enjoyed breakfast and took advantage of the late check out service allowing you to enjoy a leisurely swim before your departure.

We are also most appreciative of your positive comments regarding the staff and they are delighted with the recognition given. All our team is genuinely friendly and accommodating and all try to make sure that our guests feel like they are at home when they are here.

Lerwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Due to unfortunate circumstances my husband and I needed accommodation for attending Crufts at very short notice. I booked this hotel and only afterwards read the reviews on TripAdvisor. I was concerned about what we would find when we arrived. I needn't have worried. Our room in the Mews was clean and comfortable and had all the facilities we needed. It certainly wasn't outdated or shabby and other than being a little warm, I couldn't fault it. The staff were, without exception, friendly and couldn't do enough to help. They arranged a packed breakfast for us as we needed to be at the NEC early on Sunday morning. The buffet breakfast was excellent and of good quality. In fact, we have already booked for next year!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

We really appreciate guest feedback and are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us finding your room and facilities all to your liking. We are committed to ensuring we meet guest expectations and are grateful for your comments around the team being friendly and accommodating. We hope you enjoyed your packed breakfast and we are delighted you are coming back next year.

May I take this opportunity to suggest that you take a moment to follow our hotel Facebook and Twitter accounts to hear of offers, team news and community events. Do remember you can also upgrade to an executive room, subject to availability, to guarantee lake or garden views

Hope you had a good time at Crufts.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

Went to use gym facilities and swimming/sauna then afternoon tea this was served in nice refreshing tea room with free WiFi service was quick and efficient recommend both excellent value for money not often you come across that

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to note your observations following your recent visit to the Ramada Birmingham, Sutton Coldfield

We do appreciate guest feedback and are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your afternoon tea and time spent in the leisure club as we are committed to ensuring we meet guest expectations.

May I take this opportunity to suggest that should you choose to visit our hotel in the future to take a moment to follow our hotel Facebook and Twitter accounts to hear of offers, team news and community events. Do remember you can also upgrade to an executive room, subject to availability, to guarantee lake or garden views

Buckinghamshire, UK
Reviewed 16 March 2014

If I could write all the things wrong with this hotel, this would be a long review. My husband used to live not far from here as a child and his mother used to work here in the 70"s so he wanted to stay as we were in the area attending an event at the NEC. We would not stay again. Sent on a hike to a Double room (booked a family room for 3, clearly there were 3 of us checking in), then ended up in a Mews Suite, clean but very outdated in an old style Butlins type complex, very damp and musty. Staff were capable but lacking in any warmth. They clearly know the Hotel is poor and probably are sick of hearing it. What a shame on the Ramada name. We had booked for 2 nights but checked out after the first.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to note your observations following a recent stay at the hotel and I am sorry that on this occasion we did not fully meet with expectation.

On a positive note we are pleased to note you found your room clean, but it was unfortunate you were disappointed with the style of the mews room. Many of our guests request these rooms, as they are much quieter for families as they are away from any events taking place in the hotel, and they are generally larger, but I appreciate they are not to everyone's taste.

I am also terribly disappointed to learn that you found some of our staff lacking in warmth as this is most unusual. We constantly check and encourage our staff to always be friendly and helpful as we know how important this is to our guest experience, however, I am sorry that on this occasion, we fell short of expectation. Please be assured that our team is genuinely friendly and accommodating and strives to ensure each guest experience is the best that it can be and if guests do have individual requirements, we will do our best to meet them.

Travellers are raving about these Sutton Coldfield hotels

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Stayed here for a weekend last week and will not recommend although the hotel did have a few good points:
I found all staff at the hotel unwelcoming (with the exception of the lady on the leisure center desk). The ladies on reception were very efficient but not very friendly. The same for the people in the restaurant. we was not given any information about what the hotel offered and was not told what the buffet has to offer. We were presented with a bill for breakfast even though we had prepaid, this was cleared up very quickly though.

The rooms were clean and comfy. We had to ask for extra milk as there was only enough for one cup of coffee but they provided this. Plenty of pillows and towels.

The breakfast was nice, a good selection and very good serving times. It is served till 12 on a Sunday which is fantastic and also check out is 2 on a Sunday so there is no rush. A great little touch.

The leisure club was the biggest let down. We was looking forward to a nice relaxing break however this is not what was there. The indoor pool was small and crowded with children having swimming lessons and at one point bombing in. The instructors were loud and it was very cold. The jacuzzi was out of order and the steam room was very small. Hardly what you can expect if you view the website.

The location was good with Sutton town being a short drive.

The bar staff were very abrupt and when we asked what time the bar was open at night we was told quite sharply I don't know.

The decor of the hotel was very shabby and old however this would not of put me of returning as it was clean. Some of the stairs were noisy and I would not like to have a room by them. There is a lot of dogs but could not hear them much in your room but when you was in the corridor you could hear them.

Some good points in the hotel but the leisure center and the staff let this hotel badly.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank samanthabJ5447QU
Dear Guest

On a positive note I am delighted you enjoyed the breakfast experience and late check out facility on Sunday. I am also pleased you found your room clean and comfortable and the staff efficient.

I concur that some aspects of the hotel would benefit from investment, however, we are a 3 star mid-market hotel committed to ensuring rooms are clean and well maintained, and our team is friendly and welcoming. Guests arriving with a more luxurious expectation may be disappointed, however, what we have as shortcomings, we hope is made up for, through efficient service, extensive free car parking, with pleasant grounds, leisure club facilities and an easily accessible location.

It is with regret you did not find the leisure club to your liking and we are seeking to rectify the water temperature and bubble spa. I am terribly disappointed to learn you found some of our staff unwelcoming, this is most unusual as we know how important this is to our guest experience, however, I am sorry that on this occasion, we fell short of your expectation.

We are a pet friendly hotel and the weekend you stayed co-incided with Crufts, so there were probably more of our canine friends than usual that weekend, however, I note that this did not affect your overall experience. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future should you be in the area.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a week in November with work and I really hated it. The hotel is 3 stars so you can't expect miracles but clean, comfortable and pleasant staff should be the minimum anywhere. Some of the staff were excellent but others were rude and surly and acted like everything was a chore. The hotel is tired and in need of TLC. It smells of damp and if you stray to the bottom floor by mistake its mouldy and hideous. The lifts take you random places and finding your room down miles of confusing corridors is a real challenge! My room was cold, smelled like damp, unclean, the bed was broken and the shower barely worked. I did complain to reception but they weren't that interested. The meal we had on the first day was abysmal. After complaints from our party the food standard did improve to their credit. It still wasn't great. Breakfast however was fine.
It wasn't all bad. We used the conference facilities which were perfectly adequate and met our needs. We had private dining facilities which worked well for us, but the room we were in on our first night was cold and damp. The bar staff were really great. The scenery wasn't bad.
Overall though I barely slept all week, found myself uncomfortable in an unclean room and didn't enjoy the food. I would never stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Ramadasutton, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to note your observations following a works conference and stay at the hotel last year and I am sorry that on this occasion we did not fully meet your expectation.

On a positive note I am pleased to learn you found the conference facilities to your liking and everything met with your need, including the private dining and breakfast. I would also like to thank you for your positive comments around the bar staff.

I concur that some aspects of the hotel would benefit from investment, however, we are a 3 star mid-market hotel committed to ensuring rooms are clean and well maintained, and our team is friendly and welcoming. Guests arriving with a more luxurious expectation may be disappointed, however, what we have as shortcomings, we hope is made up for through efficient service and extensive free car parking, with pleasant grounds, to which you refer, leisure club facilities and an easily accessible location. I am sorry for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutton Coldfield
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premie...
#3 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Brook Marston Farm Hotel
#8 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Fairlawns Hotel And Spa
Travelodge Birmingham Sutton Coldfield
Travelodge Birmingham Sutton Col...
#5 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Lea Marston Hotel & Spa
Lea Marston Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Lea Marston

Been to Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield? Share your experiences!