“nice scenery.........rooms need attention”

Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Sutton Coldfield
Sutton in Ashfield, United Kingdom
“nice scenery.........rooms need attention”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

the grounds are lovely to this hotel.Rooms have been neglected and need refurbishing.Staff friendly.I chose to take the rough with the smooth as my very tired room had a patio,which was a bonus.However I was opposite a lift and the doors SLAMMED.very noisy hotel.I was woke at 1.30am by the wedding party.then again at 3.30 by a 40th womens night out just getting back in and continued to sit on the calcony cackling for an hour...I so nearly got up and checked out the hotel.breakfast was very nice.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Ramadasutton, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to note your observations following your recent stay at Ramada Birmingham, Sutton Coldfield.

We are a mid market three star property, and whilst I completely concur that aspects of the property would benefit from investment, as a team we are committed to warm, friendly hospitality and thank you for acknowledging this, as we work hard on the aspects within our control to ensure guests have a positive experience. It is with regret that your experience with us was less than satisfying being disturbed by other guests residing at the hotel. I am confident that had you brought this matter to the attention of the team they would have been more than happy to resolve the issue immediately but again I am sorry for the shortcoming identified.

On a positive note I am glad that you were able to enjoy our splendorous grounds and enjoyed your breakfast.

It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Fiona Lockyer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
Keynsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Having read some of the other reviews maybe we struck lucky. OK the room decor was a little tired but room 106 had nice towels, didn't smell musty and for an accessible room was extremely well fitted out. We even had a good view out of the window of a garden area. My only quibble was with the shower cubicle that really didn't work that well unless you could stand up which kind of defeats the object!

The staff were extremely helpful, much more efficient than in some superior hotels I have stayed in. The breakfast was excellent and the service again superb. I was amazed that the leisure complex was actually accessible and I was able to go for a swim in the small pool. There are extensive grounds and the location of the hotel is excellent. We used it as a base for visiting a attractions in the Birmingham / Coventry area.

On the second day we had a cream tea which was freshly prepared, well presented and very nice indeed with a variety of sandwiches, cakes and scones with cream and jam. The Club Bar is very well fitted out and is light and airy. The bar staff were most helpful and attentive.

Having stayed in many other 3 star hotels I felt this was very good value for money. May be some of the dampness comes from the fact hotel is built beside a very large mill pond - feature! and with water there usually comes a sort of dampness.

We enjoyed our time there and would definitely consider a return visit.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Ramadasutton, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Guest (we know who you are, so forgive us for not addressing you by name, as Tripadvisor does not allow this)

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your constructive and positive views around your recent short break which included an extremely well fitted out room with a view, indulgence in afternoon tea, a trip to the leisure centre, breakfast being excellent with attentive service and good value for money.

Please be assured that our aim is, to not only meet, but exceed expectation and I am happy to have had the opportunity to discuss the shower with you via email. Our team is genuinely friendly and accommodating and strives to ensure each guest experience is the best that it can be.

We certainly look forward to being of service to you again (if you can fit us in to your busy schedule) in the future and do remember, subject to availability you can request an upgrade to an executive room. Please take a look at and 'like' our Facebook page at Ramada Birmingham, Sutton Coldfield to keep abreast of news and offers we have throughout the year

Broughton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Well I have to say I've stayed in 3 different rooms and all are very tired.

Entrance and reception quite smart

First impression of my room was set a scene by oily finger prints on the Door !

Double beds comfortable, but when I pulled the Covers out to get in the undersheet came with it and I had to tuck it back in.

Bedside tables are in need of replacement or refurbishment, and many carpets are dingy, threadbare and in places repaired with duct tape

in one room unable to turn the towel rail heating down or off so a choice of sweltering or not being able to sleep due to the drone of the Air conditioning units.

Second room had a balcony but the wood work was visibly rotten !!!!

Food Vastly overpriced, Breakfast in bed £20.50 per person.
Lamb Shank £16
Burger and Chips £11
Club sandwich £10
Pizza £12

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest (we know who you are so forgive us for not addressing you by name however trip does not allow this)

We appreciate you noting your observations regarding your recent stay here at Ramada Birmingham, Sutton Coldfield and I understand that the team sorted your room allocation out satisfactorily for you.

We are a mid market three star property and whilst I completely concur that aspects of the property would benefit from investment, as a team we are committed to warm, friendly hospitality, and work hard on the aspects within our control to ensure guests have a positive experience stay. It is with regret that we did not fully meet expectation on this occasion with oily finger prints on the door and the bed sheet coming undone when you got out of bed. We do not offer air conditioning as standard nor do we advertise having the same, as by and large, it is not something that is usually a requirement in this country and I believe the noise you refer to may be have been an extractor fan. We apologise for the shortcomings identified and for any inconvenience this may have caused during your stay.

Your observations around the food being vastly overpriced refers specifically to food ordered via room service, which in turn attracts a slightly higher price and is a personal choice to take. We are confident that our restaurant prices reflect current market prices and are competitive. Please be assured our lamb is bought in fresh and is of good quality and as I am sure you are aware lamb is currently very expensive, having viewed other local restaurants are price is in keeping.

We do hope to be of service to you again

Travellers are raving about these Sutton Coldfield hotels

Kingsbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

This place isn't just tired, it's exhausted!!! As many previous reviewers have said it desperately needs updating. The rooms are like a cheap American motel back in the 80's, with mildew on the tiles in the bathroom, bedding and towels that have been laundered to within an inch of their lives, and no air conditioning. We had a glass full of cigarette butts on our balcony when we arrived which was moved by the cleaner but she didn't bother to sweep other stray butts from the balcony floor.

Whoever designed the layout of the various extensions to the original building needs shooting because you almost need a GPS to find your bedroom as it's so complicated.

Breakfast was actually quite decent but the staff didn't seem very interested and preferred talking amongst themselves rather than clearing up the many dirty tables.

It's all a bit sad really, there seems little attention to detail and even less pride shown by the staff.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julie T
Ramadasutton, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to note your observations following your recent visit to Ramada Birmingham, Sutton Coldfield.

I am terribly disappointed to learn of your observations around the conduct of our staff as "lacking pride in their work" as this is most unusual. All staff are trained in customer care and we constantly check and encourage our staff to always be friendly and helpful as we know how important this is to our guest experience and, usually, guests inform us that we get this right. However, I am sorry that on this occasion, we fell short of your expectation.

We are a mid market three star property, and whilst I completely concur that aspects of the property would benefit from investment, as a team we are committed to warm, friendly hospitality, and work hard on the aspects within our control to ensure guests have a positive experience. It is with regret that your experience with us was less than satisfying.

Whilst I do concur that the hotel has an unusual layout, having been developed over the years in a low rise style, I hope you understand that given our residential location, building up was not an option. Most rooms benefit from views over the lake or gardens, and are generally quiet with no passing traffic or external noise to disturb. Having a non-conforming traditional style can also be part of our appeal!

We do not offer air conditioning as standard, nor do we advertise having the same, as by and large, it is not something that is usually a requirement in this country. However we do have fans available at reception should guests request them.

There is no excuse for a glass full of cigarette butts to be left on the balcony and we will be taking this matter up with the housekeeping team, please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us as it assists us to improve our service and property on a daily basis.

On a more positive note I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your breakfast.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

I stayed at the Ramada for business purposes for 1 night on the 1st June 2014.
On arrival at the hotel I was pleasantly surprised and my first impressions were good..... That is until I got to room number 127. Walking to the room I had to walk through a musty and damp corridor of the hotel where you could see the rising damp coming up the walls and the paint litrealy bubbling of the walls. When I got into the ground floor room I was not very happy with what I found.
The bed was old and broken with one of the wheels hanging off and had defiantly seen better days. I then pulled back the bed clothes and to my discussed there were dark yellow stains all over the bed. In the past this hotel probably used to be very nice but the problem is that things have been left to get so bad and they haven't kept on top of things. I think a big revamp is needed.
Having said this when I complained to reception I was upgraded to an executive suite free of charge and the room was much better and cleaner. The staff were also all very helpful and accommodating and the food was very nice in the restaurant. Until some money is spent on the hotel myself and my work colleagues will probably not stay at Ramada hotels again.

Room Tip: Always go for an executive suite then you will get the same standard as a standard room in a Premier...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Dave B
Ramadasutton, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your thoughts regarding your personal experience whilst staying for business purposes at our hotel.

Having taken note of your observation around the bed this has been reported to our maintenance team for action as necessary. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us and we will utilise your response by continuing to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be and ensure opportunities to improve our hospitality and service are recognised and acted upon.

I was pleased to note that we were able to upgrade you to an executive suite and that you enjoyed your stay with us despite the shortfalls highlighted. However, we have been unable to validate a guest moving from 127 to an executive room on 1 June, so if you would like to contact the hotel direct we can discuss your stay and experience further.

We do hope you will afford us the opportunity to serve you again.

Isle of Wight
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We visited this hotel only for one night, my husband and I and our 18 year old son. I liked the fact that we could book for 3 adults in one room including breakfast for all of us. The hotel was in lovely grounds when we visited there were quite a few functions on so the car park was busy but we managed to get a space, it is a large one. The hotel staff were friendly and efficient, our room seemed miles away , I didn't have very high expectations of the room due to prior reviews and it was rather tired, dated and certainly needed updating , there was very little room between the single and double bed but that didn't bother us too much as we were only staying one night. We used the pool in the morning and it was lovely , large pool very warm water and fairly quiet. The breakfast was lovely, excellent quality, nice hot food and a plentiful supply, the fresh fruit was great and the muffins were of a very high quality they reminded me of the Costa Coffee muffins. I was very excited to find out that this hotel was one of the filming locations for 'Crossroads' the soap opera. We shall definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your views about your recent stay at the Ramada Sutton Coldfield and we were delighted to hear that you had such a positive experience and as a bonus you are now able to claim you stayed at the hotel where Crossroads was filmed!

We were delighted to hear that your family room was to your liking, you enjoyed the breakfast and the whole family were able to make good use of our leisure facilities.

The team also values your kind observation of their efficiency and friendliness, and we will continue to ensure that all our guests receive a warm welcome.

Be sure to follow us on our Facebook page to keep abreast of news and offers.

We look forward to be of service to you again in the future.

barnstaple
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 1 night , for business reasons and have to say if I'd of paid for this I would not of stayed. Dirty room, cracked sink, stained shower curtain and stains in the toilet. Would not recommend this hotel and will do all I can to ensure my company don't use this hotel in the future.

Stayed June 2014
6 Thank susan p
Ramadasutton, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments, and we are sorry that on this occasion we did not meet with expectation.

Whilst we concur the property is older and would benefit from capital investment, we work hard to ensure our hotel is clean and our in-house programme of work is focused on items within our control, working hard to ensure service meets expectation and that guests experience a comfortable stay. As a team we are completely committed to offering warm hospitality, great food and facilities that are commensurate with a three star mid market property. We do hope you found the staff courteous and friendly and enjoyed our menu offering an extensive range of 50 items as well as daily special dishes.

Thank you once again for taking the time and trouble to give your personal opinions and we sincerely apologise for the shortcomings identified and any inconvenience caused to you during your stay.

We hope you will afford us the opportunity to make amends and be of service to you again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutton Coldfield
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premie...
#3 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Brook Marston Farm Hotel
#8 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Fairlawns Hotel And Spa
Travelodge Birmingham Sutton Coldfield
Travelodge Birmingham Sutton Col...
#5 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Lea Marston Hotel & Spa
Lea Marston Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Lea Marston

Been to Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield? Share your experiences!