“NEC Visit”

E-or Lodge
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
“NEC Visit”
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We stayed here for an Expo at the NEC in Feb,journey time could take up to 40mins depending on traffic in mornings, but accommodation was warm and friendly and a lovely breakfast served in your room each morning , access was slightly tricky in our old Renault Clio , overall very good value for money , nice stay , thanks

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2013

I only stopped here for a night, after an 18 hour day. I didn’t realise until I arrived that it is a hotel above stables. It was a brilliant a unique charm about the hotel. Good for families! I found it a bit hard to get the owners on the phone but when I did it was brilliant. They were off out but said the answering machine gives a mobile, and if I get lost to call and they will direct me.

The service and people are what make this hotel, the staff are friendly and welcomed me with a big cup of tea, the owners are very welcoming.

Breakfast
It was a nice breakfast with fancy cut up melon, see my picture. One of the owners asked what time I would like it and got up to make it fresh for me, the orange juice was freshly squeezed.

For the price I paid this was good value. It is also very near the M6 for a reasonable commute to and from Birmingham.

Sleep Quality
I got a good nights sleep. There are only a few rooms on site so you can’t be disturbed. And the owners sleep in the same building. It is above a stable but there is no noise from the horses.

Rooms
The rooms and the hotel is very clean. All of the rooms had freeview television and good beds. Overall i would highly recommend this hotel. Especially for staying above a stable is a very novel concept. There is also plenty of room for parking.

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed fine to me, hard to get a bad night of sleep on a farm.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
West Midlands
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Stayed for a 2 night riding holiday with 2 children.

Lovely comfy rooms, warm and with everything you would expect. Amazing surroundings - you stay right on the yard with horses all around.

Breakfast was plentiful and served in the room - the kids loved the choice but where always quick to finish it so they could get out to the horses.

The owners are really warm and welcoming and nothing is too much trouble.

It can be a bit noisy at night with the motorway and animals but not enough to prevent a good nights sleep and the showers are powerful enough to wake you right up!

a fantastic time was had by all - we will be back

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2012

My friend and I booked a “learn to ride” weekend, what a fantastic weekend!
The room we had at E-or Lodge was clean warm and comfortable, the en-suite was spotless, and the welcome we received was warm and friendly, we felt like old friends visiting.
Yes there is a track to get to the stables, and yes it is dark and full of pot holes! But you are going to a working stables and I would expect nothing more! My Friend and I have not ridden for over 10 years! So we were a tad nervous about the weekend, however the staff at Dunton Stables soon put our fears at rest, as we were made to feel relaxed and welcome and a part of the family, there is no horse snobbery, turn up in a comfy pair of trousers and some boots, they will kit you out with riding hats, and body armour. (Do take a pair of gloves though) The horses are also stars in their own right they are good solid, steady, and so laid back, they were quite happy to put up with our awkward movements with so much patience, they and stood firm, nothing skittish about them. All in all we have had a great experience and we are planning to go back in the very near future. If you are thinking that you would like to learn to ride or fancy a refresher weekend I can 100% recommend Dunton Stables, a warm welcome awaits you. Thank you to everyone horses and staff included for giving us such a fantastic weekend!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Portsmouth UK
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Before I booked the visit to E-or Lodge I read the reviews on tripadvisor so I was prepared for the roads condition etc. I phoned the Lodge number , got a reply and the owner, Jamie, stayed on the phone with us until we found the Lodge. Yes, we arrived after dark and no there weren't lit signs at the entrance, but the help we got from the owner was brilliant. We pulled in and were immediately met by Lo and one of her helpers.
The room was as described, two single beds and an ensuite bathroom and it had a walk-in closet, alot more full of character than expected, knick nacks and pictures etc. There were tea making facilities, the code for free wifi and TV. The road ie the M42 is next to the lodge and it was audible in the room but when in Birmingham if it isn't the road noise, its the planes taking off and landing, so I cannot complain. I awoke to the noise of donkeys braying and it was wonderful.
We went down the stairs to the outside seating area and a pony lesson with children was underway. We decided to eat breakfast watching this and then enjoyed watching the next lesson . My husband says he learnt more watching those lessons than in all the years watching horse programmes on the BBC. If I were to go again I would love a lesson and these can be booked with the owners. Both of whom were extremely friendly and welcoming.
The breakfast was brilliant, crumpets, toast, fresh melon, cereals and tea and coffee, having it included makes this a good place to stay and was extremely good value for money- especially as the Travelodge breakfast in a bag would barely feed a cat.
I was taken to see the baby donkeys and their mums and it was really special to be allowed into the field with these young animals. I now want a donkey.
Yes, its a working stables, yes, it has a manure heap- it would be suspicious if it didn't. Do not stay here if you are not a dog friendly or an animal friendly person or cannot cope with the smell of horses/donkeys. The road noise does eventually just disappear and we both slept soundly on both nights of our stay.
To us both, it was a welcome change to the usual travelodge/premier inn experience. Would we stay there again? Definitely!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
York
Reviewed 12 July 2012

It took an awfully long time to find this place, we had to stop and ask at a farm, as the satnav said we had arrived but no sign of a road name. The farm track it is down has no name and there was nothing to say it was the lodge at the end. The track must be over a mile and the potholes were huge, we had to do a very slow ride or the suspension would have been damaged. It was dark and no sign of life, but I was totally put off by the track and we turned round and came away. It was a working stables, and that is not me at all. we went to the Drayton Manor Hotel instead which was wonderful.

Room Tip: my partner looked at the room and said it was nice, but I prefer a hotel
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank DaphneYork
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I recently enjoyed a 5 night stay here at E-Or Lodge. It was very easy to find and well signposted as it’s down a private track.

I was greeted with a warm welcome by the owners Lo & Jamie who made the whole stay comfortable and very enjoyable.

First impressions are how beautiful and clean the stables look as the accommodation is situated above Dunton Stables.

A high standard continues into the room that is recently new, very clean, fresh and modern with all the essentials needed. There is ample of space for hanging clothes, large mirror, lovely coffee & tea making facilities that are always replenished. The en-suite is spacious and modern with a nice powerful shower!

A one night stay is £40 and that includes a continental breakfast which comprised of fresh fruit, a choice of cereals, hot crumpets, toast and fresh juice was more than enough to start the day.

I stayed here as I was volunteering at Dunton Stables. If you have the time to book a lesson or a trek I would highly recommend in doing so.

Near by is Kingsbury Water Park that offers a wide range of activities the best way to see the park is trekking with Dunton Stables!

In the evenings The Dog & Doublet is a friendly and inviting place for dinner and a few drinks right beside the beautiful canal!!

Overall a great experience and lovely place to stay!! I do recommend a stay here! I'm planning my next visit already!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Holiday Inn Express Birmingham - Castle Bromwich
Cuttle Bridge Inn
Cuttle Bridge Inn
#4 of 52 in Birmingham

Been to E-or Lodge? Share your experiences!