“above our expectations”

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: To Book Your Table Go To Our Website
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Romantica, in the centre of Mere Green, is very close to where our children live but we have only eaten there together on one previous occasion. My memory was of a restaurant lacking in atmosphere and serving adequate but unexceptional food.
I finally gave it a second chance last weekend and have to say that I was so pleasantly surprised. Whether they have upped their game at Romantica or, more likely, my ageing memory was at fault, I am unsure. Whatever the reason this visit was a total pleasure. The food was very good indeed almost without exception ( a serving of calamari could have had a crisper batter) and the service from the restaurant team was top class. The prices are a little on the high side but you do get what you pay for here. We will be back again much more quickly this time.
Dinner for 6 with starters and 2 bottles of wine and beers was £180.

1  Thank Alan S

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Me and my partner came here as we had read some good reviews. Our first impressions were very good. The staff were friendly and the décor was nice. We ordered our starters and they were very good. I had the meatballs and my partner the king prawns.

However our mains were disappointing. My chicken was very dry with little flavour in the Italian tomato sauce, and my partners lamb shank was like something you'd buy from a supermarket. They both lacked flavour and weren't what we was expecting. I think there are nicer Italian restaurants in the area which are good value.

We wouldn't be in a rush to return.

3  Thank EmmaSmith1992
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

On arriving we were greeted by manager who asked all our names and asked if special occasion. From start to finish the staff, food and service were second to none, will be back soon. Waiters also sang happy birthday in Italian to our son. Would definitely recommend.

1  Thank slr1971
Reviewed 31 May 2014

A recieved a lovely welcome from the team with kisses on our hands as we entered. The restaurant is clean, comfortable and tastefully decorated. The service we recieved was attentive but not too disruptive. A good selection on the menu catering for all tastes including Classic Italian dishes and some nice surprises. The portions are large but we struggled through three courses! We were charged £11 for a plate of (very nice) sautéed mushrooms as I wanted a started made bigger for a main course. Think they should have advised me it wasn't very substantial! The limoncello cheesecake is basically cheesecake with limoncello poured over the top, it was nice but I was disappointed. The pasta and rissotto dishes were nice but not exceptional. I might visit again but will choose more wisely next time! Good service, nice place average good

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Just had a delicious meal at Romantica for my birthday. The food is excellent as is the service and the prices are reasonable too. The limoncello cheesecake was beyond good and beautifully presented. Will return soon.