“not bad rooms”
Review of Minworth Lodge

Minworth Lodge
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Not bad value for money. Rooms clean but no tea and coffee facilities. shower was cold on one of the 4 mornings. breakfast very good value for money but avoid the sausages.. I swapped for black pudding! One morning there was quite a wait but we were not in hurry. Staff friendly and helpful.. Asked for extra pillows and glasses for room which were provided straight away.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 22 August 2013

I am working in the area and stay 2 nights a week, I decided to change my hotel every week to see if I could find a nice place to stay on a long term basis. Minworth Lodge was the nearest to my work so I thought I would book and give it a try. I wish I had not bothered, I was glad to book out. You remember to smells of your youth, the old workmen's clubs with that sticky beer split carpet smell, yes, you have guessed, Minworth Lodge is apart from name is that same working man's club with an annex with 19 en suite bedrooms.The room itself, apart from a chemical smell from the toilet and a poor matress, I have to say was of good standard with mine fitted with a new carpet but this did not compensate from the lack of ambiance as soon as you came out of the room. My late room booking suggested breakfast was included, so I thought I would try it. I arrived at 7am and found no tables set in the club lounge and not a person to speak to. I eventually walked to the kitchen and spoke to a lady who said that the booking was on a room only basis, "not according to my confirmation" I said. "why don't you pay for it is a full breakfast including a hot drink for £2.50", I gave it a miss. When I got back later that day for my 2nd night (no refundable or I would have found somewhere else), I discovered my room had not been cleaned. I went to the club bar and politely asked for the Manager, the barman said he had authority. He explained to me that as some of the lads left early in the morning and they did not bother sometimes with cleaning the rooms, and anyway you took the key so we could not get in. Do I have to say anymore. Later he checked my booking and said it did say breakfast so he gave me a £5 refund for 2 breakfasts, for this I thanked him.

Room Tip: no comment
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Livlovelilo
Reviewed 26 May 2013

We stayed here as a base for our trip to Alton towers...oh dear. It felt very hostile as we walked in as the local chavs made us feel we were intruders. The noise throughout the night from other bedrooms was so loud it felt like they were in the same room as us. Our room looked directly out onto the bowling green where a game was going on as we arrived...we pulled down the blind but still found it very disconcerting a man's head was 2inches away from our bed. The bed had a huge dent in it which we nicknamed 'daves dip'. At least we would've been prevented from low blood pressure in the night as when lying flat our legs were at at least a 30 degree incline. breakfast in the morning was a farce, served up by said inbred, took 20 minutes for him to serve up a scene from saw on my plate. jeez. I felt violated when I left. Still hungry.

• Stayed: May 2013
4  Thank amykliddell
Reviewed 26 May 2013

As we arrived we pulled into the car park. And for a few seconds we thought we had taken a "wrong turn". We were apprehensive to get out the car because it looked very rough and even and dive... it's an old gentlemen's club .... we were considering to loose our 40quid for the night stay and look eles where.. but we said it could funny, a story to tell the grand kids. We walked into the bar to check in because they have no reception. I was first in line to be severd at the bar, with no staff around and people waiting for drinks. A local lad in his gray tracksuit with stubble decided he would look my wife up and down in front of me and also order his drinks before everyone else. He nearly got a thump. Breakfast don't go near it. Room ok but no tea and not.great bed. Orederd breakfast but didn't even.try it because it looked decusting.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank liddellhalls
Reviewed 7 February 2013

Sorry to have to use such derogatory words to describe somewhere but really it was a total dive, our booking was mixed up and we were told there were no other twin rooms, in fact all the rooms were already checked in.
After waiting 30-40 minutes while they tried to contact the off-duty manager, another couple of customers arrived for a twin room, while I said to these new 'ladies' that we both appeared to have been let down by the hotel, she turned quite nasty and started shouting and swearing and advancing towards me, so I backed away. The other woman after demanding she get the room, seemd to start chatting up the man on the desk!!! (it's hard to descrive how she actually behaved, it could be construed as flirtatious or it could be construed as openly touting for business!!!!!!) - she was then personally shown to the room by the older gentleman who had earlier told us the room did not exist!!!!
The very nice younger blonde chappie at the bar was extremely apologetic and obviously emabrrased that we were being turned away (having arrived first on a prepaid booking) while someone more aggressive was given a room.
The other woman was led to her room while shouting insults at my friend, and we were then refunded our pre-paid money and we left. Thankfully!
Other observations - they stop serving food on a sunday after 4pm!!! Howerver the bar areas is FULL of children poor little blighters lagging around the pool tables and their drunk & disorderly parents.
I am glad we could not stay here as it is a hell hole.

Room Tip: Go back out the door you came in and straight to another hotel!!! LOL!!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank stuartscotland
Reviewed 22 January 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights and found it quite hard to describe - it is a very basic sort of working man's club type of establishment with accommodation.

Big car park, entrance through the bar (dodging round the pool table to get to the bedrooms). Breakfast room reminded me of a seaside holiday camp out of season but with an oddly quaint charm. £2 for breakfast - cheap and cheerful but don't expect the world; cheap sausages and instant coffee, but what do you expect for £2? Bar fairly cheap; basic menu reasonably priced. You have to pay a deposit for the remote control for your TV (obviously they've had them stolen in the past) but the rooms are tastefully decorated and comfortable. An amusing note in the room that soiled sheets will incur a £90 charge(!!!??) Well they are good quality cotton! The downside - not much storage for clothes etc and no kettle (coffee and tea available from bar when it's open). A friend stayed at the same time and his room was similar to mine, as were his opinions of the establishment.

Would I stay here again - oh absolutely yes. Would I recommend it - definitely. If you want a warm room with a comfortable bed then you don't need to pay hundreds of pounds.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 October 2012

A really friendly set up of staff, the locals who use the club are also very friendly. Large car park, close to major road junctions, asda, and other shopping, all within 2 miles.NEC aprox. 9 miles Breakfast £2, yes 2 pound. rolls/sandwiches available to order for takeaway lunch £1-.
The rooms have been newly (3 months ago) built, replacing the former snooker hall. The rooms are bright, have a good en suite shower/toilet, 4 wall hooks for hanging clothes, (no wardrobe) electric heating etc. There are no tea/coffee making facilities in the room, however if you take a travel kettle with you and instant tea etc the staff had no problem in supplying a couple of cups for us to use. The bar is in the same building as the rooms, so very handy for a drink or two, along with a meal or brekkie in morning. Entertainment is available most nights and there is a seperate function room available for private functions (wedding/wake/christening/birthday/stag etc) and different packages available with food etc.The only down side when we stayed was a very loud firedoor slamming at different times and on sunday night a couple of rowdy revellers, however there was no noticable noise from other residents on mon-wed night. If you were looking for a venue to party and stay this would be the ideal venue.

Room Tip: If hot drink required take travel kettle.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple