“Excellent”

Aston Wood Golf Club
Cuisines: British
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

We attended this venue for a works do and it was fantastic, the food was lovely and warm and nicely and quickly dished out! The waitresses were very helpful! The entertainment was good and music was good as well playing little bits of everything so everyone was up on the dance floor! I would definitely go back again!!!

2  Thank Zoe C

Reviewed 13 November 2013

First impressions are important but as you drive into the car park the broken barrier which has now been out of service for over a year now has weeds and plants growing out of it. Pot holes line the entrance and it seems the car park hasn't been swept since the last lunar eclipse.

Anyway we attended a surprise 60th in the function room which was quite good, the food was good and the drinks fairly priced, staff seemed pleasant.

It's just a shame about the sloppy entrance which is why I've given an 'average' instead of a 'very good'.

1  Thank Docmatt
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I have visited and eaten here on two occasions, and frankly both have been disappointing. On this occasion I had a carvery meal priced at £6.50 for just the main course.

There were just two meat choices, either beef or turkey (I loathe turkey), so I had the beef and it was overcooked, nothing pink in sight, and not particularly tender either.

The vegetable choice was the usual roast and boiled potatoes, both were more than al dente, a bit crisp perhaps, the broccoli was good but in short supply along with the two runner beans and another white vegetable that frankly could have been anything. The red cabbage was very nice, but way overcooked. Yorkshire puddings were really good but the gravy was the thinnest I have ever experienced; it seemed to be more liquid than water itself if that is actually possible.

I know our doctors tell us to eat less, so perhaps the small plates are there as a healthy eating encouragement, but I suspect more along the lines of profit.

My wife had a pudding and paid for it at the bar, I didn't ask her how much she paid. She chose apple crumble with custard. It was nicely presented on an oblong plate with a half strawberry on the crumble and small jug of custard to the side. I tried just a little as my wife said she found the crumble very unusual. I believe the crumble had dessicated coconut in it, which I am not fond of, so quite glad I didn't partake, whereas the custard immediately made me think of a factory in Lifton, Devon.

The beer was quite good and a good selection too.

I guess I will go there again at some point in the future, I hope they improve their cooking skills by then.

Reviewed 20 March 2013

Went here for the mothers day 3 course meal with a family group. Place was all set out including the function room (where we were sat) so it looked like it was a popular place. From the start the room was bit cold and the music (which seemed to be a CD on loop despite the live performer in the next room) a bit loud. Tables looked good though and all the mums had a small Thornton's chocolate box at their seats too which was a nice touch.

It was 3 courses for £16 and it started fairly well although my sweet potato and carrot soup was a little under-seasoned. Main course was a carvery with a choice of beef or turkey as well as a sea bass dish, or a veg wellington. The beef was really quite good, well cooked and tender. The roast potatoes weren't at all crispy and the yorkshire pudding wasn't worth touching - tough and chewy.

Despite the standard of the main course I decided to risk the creme brulee for dessert but it was a bit of a disaster. It was overcooked to the point of being solid, not creamy at all. The blowtorch had also barely been near it and the top wasn't crispy at all. The accompanying shortbread biscuit was also overworked and a bit tough.

Drinks were ok, at one point an orange juice was a bit watery (clearly not fresh, probably post-mix) but this was replaced without fuss.

Reviewed 20 December 2012

We have held our FOTC annual diiner at Little Aston Golf Club and also attended a function to celebrate a friends 80th birthday bash.
The food considering they were cooking for about 80 + people was very good and the service and facilities wer excellent. Most enjoyable evening. Regards. Gary Saunders