“Good relaxed evening meal” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Oak Room Restaurant at Moor Hall Hotel & Spa

The Oak Room Restaurant at Moor Hall Hotel & Spa
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, View, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The 2 AA Rosette Oak Room restaurant offers the perfect combination of delicious food and friendly attentive service. By day it has sweeping views across Moor Hall golf course, by night there is a cosy and intimate atmosphere, making it perfect for a relaxed evening out or a special celebration. In the Oak Room, the Head Chef uses only the best of fresh, local and seasonal ingredients to create modern British dishes that are cooked with imagination and served with style and the menu is complemented by a great selection of fine wines.
Tamworth
“Good relaxed evening meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Walking into the Oak Room to find all other tables empty was a bit worrying, but within minutes of being seated the other tables soon started to fill. There was a good atmosphere considering it was a Thursday evening. Good menu choices, both food and wine. Although I do not have a huge appetite, I found the portion sizes ever so slightly on the small side, so if you are hungry, I would suggest ordering a couple of side dishes.
Food itself was very good and the service was professional as expected.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Angela B, Owner at The Oak Room Restaurant at Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
It was kind of you to take the time to provide your review and thank you for your lovely comments. I do hope you will be able to visit us again soon, when once again our team will ensure you are well looked after.

• Turkish first
sutton coldfield
“univentfully average ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Our expectations were quite high and the reputation and reviews made our visit even more anticipated.
The restaurant is a small classic oak room as the name reflects the ambience. The staff are quite formal and lack any personality, almost to the point of being slightly nervous and characterless. We ordered the scallops as a starter and although there weren't bad, but there just lacked in flavour and we're probably overdressed with crispy bacon peas and some sauces added on to the plate for more presentation. For mains we ordered the sirloin steak, the presentation was very good but we both found it a little greasy, too much butter sauce and not very tasty.
Overall the food could be better, the staff need to be more relaxed and more friendly to try and improve the restaurants atmosphere.

1 Thank macamaca
Angela B, Owner at The Oak Room Restaurant at Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Thank you for your review and I do hope you will accept my sincere apologies that your recent visit did not meet your expectations. At Moor Hall we take all feedback on board and I will therefore be discussing your comments with Chef and the Restaurant Manager in order for improvements to be made where necessary.
West Midlands
“Relaxed quality Sunday lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

It was a bright sunny day which always helps to start the day well, given the lovely grounds overlooking the golf course. The table we had was perfect, in a bay overlooking the grounds.
The starters and main courses were all very much enjoyed and between our group of 6 we tried quite a few with no complaints from anyone.
There was perhaps a little more of a delay in bringing the deserts than I would have chosen, but in many ways this is part of the confortable relaxed environment. When they came they were all consumed with great relish before being washed down with a decent cup of coffee.
This was a very enjoyable Sunday lunch at what I believe is a very sensible price given the quality of the food and the setting.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Angela B, Owner at The Oak Room Restaurant at Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
I was so pleased to hear how much you enjoyed the experience and hope we will be able to welcome you back very soon.
Burntwood, United Kingdom
“sunday lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

excellent from start to finish food and service was exceptional and also the oak room is a fabulous dining room, great value for money for the standard of food

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Angela B, Owner at The Oak Room Restaurant at Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
What a wonderful review! I was pleased to hear you enjoyed the whole experience and found us to be great value for money. Thank you for providing these lovely comments and we hope to welcome you back again very soon.
“Lacking in attention to detail”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for one night to celebrate our anniversary and decided to eat in the Oak Room due to the 2 rosette rating.

Decor was nice, place settings not overly cramped.

Our waiter did not look either of us in the eye when he took our orders.

Earlier in the afternoon a bar tender (Dan I think) after some hesitation made me a vodka martini which was nice especially sitting in the sun in the grounds by the bar area.

I requested the same to go with my dinner, Dan by this time had finished his shift but I was told they would give it a go.

We ordered 3 courses and the martini finally arrived half way through our main course, it was far too strong I was unable to drink it.

I choose the smoked goats cheese starter, it was a strong cheese no bad thing but the ratio of cheese to the tiny salad and pear slices meant I left half of the cheese.

Main course was lamb, very nice.

Followed by trio of chocolate. This comprised of a tiny cup of melted chocolate which was delicious, a mini chocolate sponge cake (very dry only edible if you soaked it in the melted chocolate), a chocolate cup filled with white chocolate moose (OK), plus a mini scoop of mango sorbet with chilli (not to my or my husband's liking).

Both of the glasses used for water were chipped on the bottom.

Timings were good, plates taken away within a minute of finishing and enough time allowed in between courses.

My husband enjoyed his duck parfait starter and duo of pork main.

All in all a nice meal nothing outstanding, starters a bit pricey for what they are.

The attention to detail needs addressing. Waiters should be trained better thought ours was on auto pilot any issues were swiftly dealt with by a woman who I assume was manager level though.

Glasses with chips should not be used. I'd also suggest bar staff are trained on basic cocktails.

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review and for your positive comments but I was sorry the experience did not totally meet your expectations. I will certainly be using your feedback to arrange further staff training where required and particularly on making cocktails. I quite agree that chipped glasses should not be used and these are being removed immediately. Your business is important to us and I do hope you will be able to come back and see us again soon.