“Stunning meal, stunning location, exceptional service”

The George Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 118 Restaurants in Stamford
Price range: US$40 - US$66
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: A magnificent oak-panelled space is the fine dining setting at The George Hotel of Stamford, one of England's greatest coaching inns. A mix of regular locals and hotel guests can always be found relaxing at bare oak tables beneath an eye-catching hand-painted ceiling. In summer, or on mild nights, they like to sit outside under the heated canopy in the ivy-clad courtyard. Open for grand lunches and dinner, the George Hotel Restaurant serves traditional yet imaginative English dishes, specialising in seafood. Lighter daytime dishes such as Dover sole are superceeded at night with heartier meals such as rack of lamb with fresh herbs and redcurrant jelly, and roast English beef carved at the table on a silver trolley. Accompanied by traditional trimmings, of course.
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Late arrivals for a 9.30 dinner and probably not popular that we went all out for three courses, cheese& biscuits, coffee, brandy's etc when they had had a very busy night and all wanted to go home. The food was exceptional, great choice, amazing wine list, but the service was the outstanding feature although the later it got it dropped a bit and we felt in the way.

chrispitman, General Manager at The George Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

It was lovely to see this review and thank you so much. The time you arrive for dinner doesn't matter to us at all as we serve in our garden room till quite late anyway. However I will speak to the restaurant team to ensure that service is kept high regardless of the time. Please accept my apologies for this, especially as you commented that it was exceptional at the beginning.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Real Shame that instead of taking on board peoples dissatisfaction with The George the management team just carry on regardless relying on the good name! I've visited several times over the years and although the food is good the atmosphere is not. There's classic & there's outdated & I'm afraid that recently The George is outdated in every respect. Dined last Saturday evening after eventually being greeted by staff. The cheese fritters were nice but nothing special, the beef gorgeous but paying extra for a tiny portion of veg & potatoes which were just bland, was a bit much? Desserts as previous reviews were the 'same old' and left open to all the elements in the front foyer near the till, nice! Coffee & a measly biscuit at £5 left a bitter taste in the mouth. A beautiful building but dark & drear , needs to move with the times & look at similar beautiful hotels in London etc who constantly surprise & innovate, something the George & it's menu don't do!

chrispitman, General Manager at The George Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

I am very sad that you feel this way. I have run the George for over thirty years and I can assure you we don't just carry on regardless, relying on our name. We respond to every review on both of our TripAdvisor pages and take note of all comments which we discuss and react to if necessary. We work very hard at ensuring standards are exceeded and that our customers have a wonderful experience. So many people comment on the fantastic atmosphere which brings them back time after time. I am pleased that you enjoyed the Roast Beef but I have to say the portions of vegetables and potatoes are not small. The dessert trolley is not left in the front foyer, it was on the way out to the patio to serve a table but it was just being replenished. Coffee comes with free refills and so we think that is excellent value for money.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

In my opinion ....Just a tad overpriced......but my food was good so no real complaints there. Our group enjoyed their lunch but I would have chosen a more lighthearted place. I have to admit I rather like the toilets ....the decor, the hand cream etc. Overall, just a bit boring, shan't eat there again.
Our Blue Badge guide made the day out very worthwhile. Will go to Stamford again but do more homework on restaurants

1  Thank Janethawson
chrispitman, General Manager at The George Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

The George is a beautiful building and has a wonderful atmosphere which is why we have so many customers returning again and again. I am shocked that you found it boring, because I have never, ever heard that before about The George.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

My husband and I went for an early dinner today. It was recommended to me by several friends and work colleagues. We were very impressed by the different rooms and decor and the outside area seemed like a lovely place to dine. However, finding anywhere to sit indoors or outdoors was very difficult and confusing. There is no real area to approach in order to inquire about being seated and we wondered around aimlessly for at least 5 mins asking various members of staff. We were eventually seated in the garden room which was very lovely and the staff in there were extremely nice. However I found the food to be average. It was sufficient for an early dinner but would not recommend if you are expecting the food to match the surroundings. Afternoon tea outside looked nice. The garden room is very noisy when full. Dessert was also a let down. For £7.95 I would expect something rather nice, I could have bought better from a supermarket! Overall nice to go and have a look around but overpriced.

1  Thank Frederil

Thank you for you review but I do find it very hard that anyone could aimlessly wander around the George for 5 minutes without being approached by the staff. However I was pleased that you found the staff in the garden room and the building lovely. We have wonderful comments about the food at the George and so I am so disappointed that you found it average especially as you had been recommended by several of your friends.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

What an overrated, overpriced establishment The George is!
I had a meeting with a colleague in the area this week so we decided to dine at The George, what a mistake!
We were shown to a small table and immediately pestered by waiters three times for our order within ten minutes of sitting down, we didn't even have time to paruse the menu. So, we decided we might begin with a starter and fancied the soup (french onion) till we saw the price - £7:50 per portion!!! If we had both had that, the bill would have started at £15.00 for two small portions of soup. How can that be justified? So, we skipped starters and we both decided on the seared calves liver. When we were shown to our table the waiter said "I'll bring you some bread and butter" twenty minutes on and no sign of it. We managed to attract a passing waiter and asked where the bread and butter had got to? He apologized and went away to get it, he came back with three (count it, three!) little pieces of french bread for TWO of us and butter so hard it must have just come out of the fridge, completely unspreadable. A short time later our meals arrived. I forgot to mention that when our order was taken for the seared calves liver we were asked if we want thin or thick slices, we opted for thin. It arrived and our plates consisted of one small, thin slice of liver and a little off cut piece layed across it (as chefs do) and a desert spoon of mashed potato beside it, finished with a small amount of gravy/sauce. Now, the liver (what there was of it) was a mass of gristle and vastly overcooked.
Not enjoyable at all and certainly not a meal to stem our hunger, nothing more than a child's portion but not at child's portion prices I might add! We were both still hungry after this tiny offering so we opted for a dessert which duly arrived, not bad. We decided to finish with coffee which we ordered, it took three times of stopping passing staff and inquiring were our coffee had got to before it eventually arrived with an apology, apparently it had been forgotten.
A truly awful experience and one we will not be repeating. Whoever manages/owns The George needs to sort the place out. If you are in the area and feeling hungry, find somewhere else other than The George Of Stamford.

5  Thank mpopeuk

I am very sorry you felt so disappointed. You complain about having too many people trying to look after you and then complain that you couldn't get anyone’s attention? I don't think you can comment on the size of the soup as you didn't order it. The soup isn't small and many people have it as a main course at lunch. The calves’ liver is offered thinly or thickly sliced and no one has ever said before that the portions are meagre.