“Good for a special night out”

The George Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 118 Restaurants in Stamford
Price range: US$40 - US$67
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: A magnificent oak-panelled space is the fine dining setting at The George Hotel of Stamford, one of England's greatest coaching inns. A mix of regular locals and hotel guests can always be found relaxing at bare oak tables beneath an eye-catching hand-painted ceiling. In summer, or on mild nights, they like to sit outside under the heated canopy in the ivy-clad courtyard. Open for grand lunches and dinner, the George Hotel Restaurant serves traditional yet imaginative English dishes, specialising in seafood. Lighter daytime dishes such as Dover sole are superceeded at night with heartier meals such as rack of lamb with fresh herbs and redcurrant jelly, and roast English beef carved at the table on a silver trolley. Accompanied by traditional trimmings, of course.
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Excellent location with a table outside in the courtyard a really great place to eat dinner. Really good starters and prawns were especially good. The rabbit and cod main courses were really excellent. However the fillet steak was very disappointing on the small side and not the best quality meat. The wine was good and the overall meal including deserts good apart from the steak. As always with the George It is on the expensive side.

chrispitman, General Manager at The George Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you for your kind review. Please accept my apologies regarding the steak- we have used the same butcher for over thirty years and it is the best meat you can buy – so I will look into this with the supplier. I was pleased to read that the other dishes were excellent. Many thanks.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

This was a birthday treat for us from our daughter and son in law. First time visit and on a warm night the place was heaving inside and out. We were given a table without any delay and the service was one of the best, very quick and attentive without being overpowering. Choice and food, presentation and quality was superb.This is aplace to visit if you want to be made to feel very special. I can not fault it in any way.

I am so pleased that enjoyed your birthday with us. Thank you very much for your superb comments – we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

We are Brits living in Oz and came for lunch with friends in May, carrying with us, great expectations. We left bitterly disappointed with our experience. It all started so well sitting outside in the beautiful terrace area, a delightful setting. Our dining experience was a huge disappointment. The main meals all arrived at different times, which is unforgivable when you are dining with friends . One of the meals was cold, and by the time a fresh plate arrived, the other diners had finished. We complained bitterly, received a verbal apology but nothing else. I resisted the temptation to withold some of the money when presented with the final bill, but only because we were with friends and did not want to cause embarrassment. The George is clearly the trendy place in town, but in our experience, it is resting on its laurels. It is very pricey for what you get and the drinks are bordering on the extortionate. Had I been the manager I would, apart from having given the cursory apology, have offered an incentive for us all to return, and thus redeeming themselves. After all when things go so badly, something should be offered in return, rather more than a not very genuine verbal apology.

3  Thank chriscar2014

I was very sad to read that you had a poor experience at the George, especially as you can see we have many excellent reviews on both of our TripAdvisor sites. All meals are served at the same time and if one dish has to go back then we send the whole table back, I am very sorry that this hasn't happened on this occasion. We don't rest on our laurels and customer service is our priority so I am concerned that your comments were not fed back immediately by the staff to one of the managers who would have spoken to you and dealt more effectively with your disappointment. I really do hope that perhaps on your next trip to the UK we will have the chance to restore your faith in us once again.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We live in Leicester and have been to the George twice both times the food has been really good and the service fantastic,

After a bike ride at Rutland waters I told my brothers about this cute little village called Stamford so I took them there for a walk after checking trip advisor I considered another restaurant , but from my previous experience here and the magnificent environment I took them to the George.

We ordered 3 steaks good was amazing and I eat out 4 times a week on average , the staff where good the manager welcomed us there also , we where dressed down as we didn't know we where going there but next time we come we will get our finest clothes on, even though we where dressed down the service was very good.

The environment is amazing it's not like anything else in the uk , if anything it's like being in Paris or Italy I love this place, it's my kind of place.

I definately recommend this.

Such a wonderful review! We are all very touched. Many thanks and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Lunch at the George is always a reliably British affair, with their impressively enormous silver platter of roast beef doing the rounds of most tables, including ours. Service as excellent as you would expect. With uncertain weather, we dined in the paneled room, which is very traditional and whilst it is brightened currently with lovely white flower settings, the decor does feel a little tired. Some white tablecloths might help. But definitely some new chair covers would brighten things up a bit. We rather wished we braved the garden, as dining there is always so relaxing and enjoyable. To be honest, we also got a little tired of the 'firework cakes' going round the several birthday tables that day, but that feels a little churlish really.
However, we ate well, with plentiful servings, and enjoyed our meal very much and shall no doubt return for another treat at a later date.

chrispitman, General Manager at The George Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Lovely to read that you enjoyed your Roast Beef and that the service was excellent. Thank you for your kind words. I was sad to read though that you don't find the restaurant décor to your taste, it is a very traditional restaurant with its beautiful oak panelling and tables and we receive many wonderful comments. We look forward to seeing you again.