“Wonderful celebration lunch”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Stamford
Benahavis, Spain
“Wonderful celebration lunch”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I recently took a good friend for her birthday lunch to the beautiful panelled dining room at The George. It has been some years since my last visit but it has lost none of its charm! The food was fabulous and the service impeccable - all set in the most stunning building and gardens. If you're thinking it might be a bit far to travel for lunch (about an hour in our case) it's really worth he effort! The pretty town centre also offers some great little independent shops, sadly lacking in most towns.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank LeonieWild
chrispitman, General Manager at The George Of Stamford, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
It was so lovely to read your review regarding your visit to the Oak Panelled restaurant. I am very glad that you enjoyed your lunch with your friend,especially as you were celebrating her birthday. So pleasing to know that even though you travelled a little way to get to us, you felt it was worth it. Thank you very much.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Turkish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I have so often been to the George but never stayed overnight. At last I had the opportunity to stay last night and it didn't disappoint. A beautiful old Inn and my room was delightful and perfectly formed. Everything was just right for the setting and the outside is as wonderful and varied as the inside. The gardeners deserve an award for their hard work and skill. Dinner was as expected, delicious, served by expert and friendly staff and no pressure to leave the restaurant even though it was quiet and getting a bit late! I really can't wait to stay again sometime and absorb the history of this stunning building, a real treat for anyone lucky enough to stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank SaMojo
I am so pleased that you had the opportunity to stay with us and of course even happier that you enjoyed the experience so much. Thank you for your kind comments about the hotel both inside and out. The gardeners were very touched that you had mentioned them. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Andover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This hotel is very pretty and is located in the equally pretty village of Stamford. It is a very old hotel with a long history, you can find all about it on a leaflet in your hotel room.
No lifts did mean carrying luggage, but admittedly staff had offered help.
Check-in was quick and friendly.
The room was glorious. It had such a luxury feel to it. The bed was extremely comfortable and the sheets felt so soft I really enjoyed sleeping. The bathroom was big and there were two different bathrobes to choose from.
Food was exquisite, and I am really spoilt with food so don't easily say that. Nice thing that all items on the menus of both restaurants could be ordered as room service and arrived piping hot and delicious. There is a wine menu that has won several prizes and all.
I could open my window which meant fresh air. It was silent all night even with the windows open.
Breakfast was very good again, not only a lot of choice but more than anything else very good quality of the products.
I would love to stay here again if I had the chance.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank squizz20
Sincere thanks for writing this lovely review from your recent stay with us. I was so pleased to know you had a comfortable stay and that found the food exquisite. It is very rewarding for us all to receive such praise. Thank you.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I love the George at Stamford, it has the atmosphere you expect in an old inn located in a provincial town but so seldom seem to find. Yes, it could do with a few updates here and there but again better that than a complete "makeover" which I've experienced in some hotels resulting in a sterile bland environment that could be anywhere. Recently had lunch in the oak panelled room which was up to the usual high standard, not the greatest food but more than acceptable. It's been a while since I stayed here but have good memories of a very nicely appointed room. Long may the George continue to thrive in this beautiful Lincolnshire town, highly recommended to visitors to the U.K.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank rc51
chrispitman, General Manager at The George Of Stamford, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Many thanks for your wonderful review of the hotel; it is always so great to read such positive feedback in all aspects of your visit. We are also very fortunate to be situated in the beautiful town of Stamford. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
York, England
Reviewed 30 April 2014

For some years I have stayed for a single night at the "Serene Sunday" rate and have always enjoyed the experience. The food in the restaurant is very good, albeit on the expensive side, and the staff were ever helpful.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank PeterM L
It was so lovely to read that you always have a good night’s stay with us! Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review and we look forward to your next Serene Sunday stay.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2014

The George is a wonderful place to spend time with family and friends, or even for dinner on your own if you fancy treating yourself (I would choose The Garden Room for dinner on your own, the Burger is fabulous!)

My family have been going to The George for the last 25 years and it never fails to be delightful occasion, whether there in the Winter for a hot chocolate by the fire, sumptuous Summer afternoon tea in the garden or Sunday lunch for beef carved at your table (always with a smile and never mean with the portions). I grew up In Stamford going to The George so you may consider me a little biased in my appraisal; I now live in London and fail to find anywhere that has the combination of excellent food and service that The George provides, and I have tried a lot of what London has to offer. My Dad was a Chef at The Savoy in London and my mum also works in the food industry, they agree that no one does a better Dover Sole, Roast Beef or Crème Caramel than The George! My family love food, it’s our passion and the thing that brings us together, all foodies should go to The George!

As a family we have spent many New Year’s Eve’s at The George and yes I know the tickets aren’t cheap but the sheer elegance and splendour of the evening is worth every penny; the staff take pleasure in making sure you have the best evening possible and the 6 course menu is absolutely fabulous, I come back every year for NYE as nothing else lives up to The George.

I know reading this review you may think I am a diehard fan of The George and therefore can’t see any floors, but every time I go back I always ask myself “Is it as good as I remember?” “It is just nostalgia that makes me love the place so much?” The answer is “No”, what I love is the welcoming atmosphere of a wholesome country hotel, a broad but perfectly executed menu using local fresh produce, staff that can’t do enough to help you and always greet you with a smile and finally whether your first visit or your 50th you will feel like The George is a home away from home, albeit a very luxurious one!

Put simply, go to The George!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Moochoo12
Thank you so much for this superb review. I've been here for over 40 years myself and so it is great to hear that your family have been coming for so long. I don’t think I could have written a better review about the George even if I tried. We really look forward to your next visit with us.
Knutsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Small room, overpriced with a feeble shower.
Food in restaurant average and overpriced.
Wi-Fi not good - I gave up in the end.
Décor looking tired. Old building that needs some attention.
Sleep interrupted by room service knocking loudly to deliver early morning tea / coffee - there are no hot drink making facilities in the room.
When I filled in a comment card, I got a letter form the manager telling me how pleased he was that I found my stay most enjoyable! Ridiculous comment given that I had said nothing of the sort but had said I hadn't enjoyed the stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Julian4242
chrispitman, General Manager at The George Of Stamford, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Please accept my apologies regarding your comment card, it does seem that there has been some confusion over this. I am sad to read that you didn’t enjoy your stay. Tea and coffee is only brought to the room in the morning if you have ordered it, and so I am very sorry if it was delivered to you by mistake and woke you up? I am disappointed that you found the food to be average as we have many wonderful comments about the food. I do hope that will stay with us again so that we can have the chance to restore you confidence in us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stamford
The William Cecil at Stamford
Barnsdale Lodge Hotel and Restaurant
Haycock Hotel
Haycock Hotel
#17 of 27 in Peterborough

Been to The George Of Stamford? Share your experiences!