“Afternoon tea”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Stamford
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

we were given a voucher for Christmas for full afternoon tea and all I can say is wow. The staff were fantastic, nothing was too much trouble. We sat in the garden room, even though it was cool outside the lovely patio heaters gave a lovely warm feel. Then the afternoon tea was presented. It was amazing and there was so much of it. Staff ensured we were well catered for and were on hand for anything that we needed.
I would definitely go back again

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
chrispitman, General Manager at The George Of Stamford, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
It is always very rewarding to know that you would definitely come back after your first visit to us. It was so lovely to read that you well looked after and that you enjoyed your afternoon tea. We look forward to seeing you again! Thank you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Turkish first
England
Reviewed 28 May 2014

One of my all time favourite English hotels and one I would recommend to anyone needing a bed and board in the eastern counties. This time we went simply for lunch and the food and service were truly second to none. We ate in the oak panelled dining room which adds to the whole experience of a classic coaching inn but the other rooms are also atmospheric. Like all the very best hotels/restaurants/bars etc, it all depends on the staff and the people serving us on Bank Holiday Monday were fast, efficient, knowledgeable, and friendly.

Room Tip: Book ahead! Whether you just want a meal or a bed, you should book well in advance and then you will...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you very much for your kind review. I am so pleased that you felt you were well looked after last Monday and that you enjoyed your lunch. We hope to see you again soon.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

One word I would use to describe our wedding last week at the George would be "Magical", I cannot put into words how amazing the service was.

The George thought of everything, no request was too much trouble, they organised everything down to the minute and to perfection. The food was out of this World and I would not hesitate in recommending this hotel, particularly for a function.

A special thank you for Jodie Bloomer, the service you provided felt so personal and to Boss Hogg for making the day go so smoothly

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Many congratulations to you both once again! It was wonderful to know that you felt your day was magical. It is so important to ensure that such a special occasion runs smoothly from booking to the day itself and so it is richly rewarding to receive such superb comments. Both Jodie and Philip aka Boss Hogg were very touched that you mentioned them personally. We hope to see you again soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We spent 2 nights here on the last May Bank Holiday, as we were going to a friends party nearby but wished to make a weekend of it.
We usually prefer to stay in a boutique style hotel but they where all full so we stayed here, having checked the reviews in trip advisor.
The place was a hive of activity when we arrived about 2pm.
We were warmly greeted and although 30 mins early our room was ready.
We had selected a deluxe double room which was £230/ night.
The room was massive, well decorated, comfortable bed. Adequate size ensuite with a window,the bath had a shower over and a separate hand held shower also. All very nice.
You are offered complimentary coffee or tea brought upto your room each morning.
We would have preferred tea or coffee making facilities.
The communal areas are plentiful with 2 bars a lounge and 2 restaurants and another lounge.
There is also a delightful outside dining area which is partly covered and heated.
We did not eat there the 1st night as we ate at the party.
The bed was comfortable.
Breakfast was excellent. I had the full English which was fresh and the ingredients tasted of quality. My partner had scrambled egg with salmon which she says was lovely.
We had dinner in the main restaurant on the 2nd night.
I would highly recommend it. Neither of us had a starter as the amuse bouche of warm soup was filing. I had lobster in garlic which was Devine. My partner had spring lamb with olives which was tender and tasty. Served with a selection of veg. The wine list is reasonably priced but we chose
to drink by the glass as we'd had a boozy night the day before.
The waiting staff where very helpful and when I ordered a whiskey to drink in the bar, he brought me a complimentary small glass of another whiskey for my partner to try, she pronounced it delicious so I ordered more.
We had a lovely evening talking to a few of the other residents and drinking until quite late.
Breakfast the next day was again superb.
The staff are really friendly and what is nice is that there are quite a number of senior staff around at weekends.
We loved our stay and will choose the George again when in Stamford.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 29 on the 1st floor. It was large and very comfortable and overlooked the dining c...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank James A
chrispitman, General Manager at The George Of Stamford, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you very much for your fantastic review about your weekend stay with us. It is always so lovely to read that you were warmly welcomed. Wonderful to know that you enjoyed your dinner in the Oak panelled restaurant and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Stamford.
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We stayed just one night with friends taking advantage of the serene Sunday package. The hotel is a wonderful building set in beautiful grounds right in the centre of the lovely town of Stamford. There is a great atmosphere in the hotel and you are made to feel very welcome in the comfortable surroundings. Plenty of room in the public areas to relax and loads of history to take in plus a wonderful range of flowers and plants all over the hotel. Very comfortable clean well appointed bedroom and excellent service, food and wine in the Oak Panelled Restaurant. It is expensive but well worth it, we will return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your superb review regarding your recent Serene Sunday. I was so pleased to read that you found every aspect of your stay perfect. We are of course blessed with a wonderful location too. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
South Wingfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

This is my second visit to the George. Though I have not stayed overnight, on both occasions I visited a number of rooms. Don't worry, it is not what you think. On the first occasion staff showed us the variety of rooms available; on the second occasion, family were staying, so I ended up watching the defeat of Derby County in the Championship Playoff (Payoff?) final in my brother in law's bedroom while the women went out, found us Pukka pies for half time, and snuck them in under their coats. Ah, women, what would we do without you?

Anyway, as I can't judge the rooms at night, I can only comment on the food and the service; both of which are superlative. The food - why choose anything except the enormous sirloin wandering around the room like that living beef from the Restaurant at the End of the Universe - was special. Beef, Yorkshire pudding, etc. It was good. Say no more. I didn't even get the usual look in from the wife, ie the odd spare slice of meat wending its way to my plate. The puddings? I must complain. I and my brother in law both had the sticky toffee pudding. When we heard it didn't come with custard we both nearly automatically went for the profiteroles, but were advised (by the wife) to try it anyway. It is what wives are for. The sticky toffee was the waitress' favourite (or so she said). She is right, even though it was with toffee sauce and ice cream I thoroughly recommend it. Don't complain about the lack of custard.

The cheese. The wife had the cheese. I tasted it all and it was good. Even the Lincolnshire Poacher was better than the norm, and we like the norm.

The waitress was happy to put the sad remains into a plastic container to feed my chickens tomorrow. The day after tomorrow I have eggs made of scraps of beef, beans, a little Yorkshire pudding, some potato, and a little piece of Hambleton Bakery bread. I am not sure who is most spoilt; the chickens or me the breakfast after tomorrow.

Overall, Mr Manager, don't sack the staff. They are excellent. All of them. From the ones that offered coffee in the morning to the ones that offered tea at 5.30pm. They looked after us very well. They weren't haughty, neither were we; they had no toffee in their nose, neither had we. A very good experience that I intend to repeat.

Perhaps next time I might pay for a room. After all, I do need to comment on the breakfast; and that is what the English do best and worst.

Room Tip: Be nice to the staff
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Well, what an amazing review about your recent visit. Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a detailed report. I was so pleased to read about your wonderful experience with us and I do hope that you come and stay with us the next time,so you can comment about our breakfast! Many thanks once again.
London
Reviewed 19 May 2014

The George Stamford

Service,service,service the three key words to describe this hotel.
Yes it is a lot of money to pay but the service and the food are exemplary and make the whole experience worth every penny. (In my case exceeded only by the company) The rooms are very well appointed, I had room 18, whilst having a restrictive access at the door height, once inside was very tastefully decorated and had a large comfortable bed, and very well presented bathroom.
I must also give a mention for the breakfast which has to be one of the most expensive, but best that I have ever had.
All in all for a special occasion and as a treat, you would struggle to better it.

1 Thank lightingmanLondon
chrispitman, General Manager at The George Of Stamford, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
What a superb review! Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a glowing report. We work very hard on training and ensuring the high standards are constantly met and so to read your comments are very satisfying for us all. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stamford
The William Cecil at Stamford
Barnsdale Lodge Hotel and Restaurant
Talbot Hotel
Talbot Hotel
#1 of 1 in Oundle

Been to The George Of Stamford? Share your experiences!