“Superb hotel”

and 1 more site!
The George Of Stamford
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Stamford
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We have just had a wonderful night at this hotel. The staff are superb in all respects. There is a lovely old world atmosphere throughout. We had a slight problem with our room and they sorted this out at once with no hassle by finding us a better room. The surrounding gardens are delightful as is the courtyard. The town itself is also lovely to visit.
The evening meal was pleasant. there was a very nice atmosphere in the dining room and again the staff were superb. The food was a little disappointing as I had asked for my duck breast to be cooked pink and my husband had asked for his calves liver to be pink. However they both arrived well cooked.
The breakfast was very good with a delicious fruit salad and lots of cooked alternatives to choose from. We will certainly return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
chrispitman, General Manager at The George Of Stamford, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Thank you very much for your superb review about your recent stay with us. I am very sorry though that your main course was served well done when you had requested pink. The chef should not have let that happen at all and I am very disappointed. However I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed all the other aspects of your stay and we look forward to your next visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,323)

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed at the George hotel to celebrate my birthday this year. I thought it was a great idea as I had stayed there many times before over 15 years ago and I absolutely loved it.

We checked into the hotel and we were upgraded to an executive room. The room was fabulous with a view over the courtyard. It couldn't have been a more idyllic way to spend my birthday

We had pre dinner drinks in the York Bar and dinner in the Garden Room........ This is where it goes wrong. The food isn't worthy of the hotel and at most is mediocre. Very disappointing to say the least. Over cooked lobster and spaghetti. No member of staff ventured near to ask about the meal at all which for the standard of hotel I would have expected more. The restaurant itself didn't look particularly fresh and didn't look as though it had been touched in 15 years

Although I would recommend the hotel I certainly wouldn't recommend the food and don't think I will return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your comments. I was very sad to see that you didn't enjoy your experience with us, especially as you were celebrating your birthday. The Garden Room is hugely popular and so are the two dishes that you chose. I am very sorry that they were not to your liking. The half lobster and spaghetti is one of our top selling dishes. I do hope that you will change your mind and decide to visit again.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Having read so many good reviews I was looking forward to eating at the George for the second time, the first being many years ago. The gardens are lovely and the hotel is full of tradiition, the dining room is lovely with its oak panels and I was truly looking forward to a great food experience. The waiters were attentive and and the service good so I what could go wrong. Well I must say the main course I had was tepid and not nice at all, the meat was flavourless. Also I think the general cost for the whole experience was far in excess of what we received, the cost of vegetables was far too high and again were not hot. We all had the desserts which were good, the coffee was ok but I have had a lot better.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review and please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointing meal. I greatly appreciate your positive comments on the gardens and the service from the staff but of course I was sad to read your comments regarding the food. I have spoken with the Head Chef this morning to look into the points you've raised. I do hope that you will come and visit again so we can restore your faith us once more. Thank you

Reviewed 6 June 2014

The George is famous for being traditional and when you need assurance of quality it is always there. We went there again this week for a meal in the restaurant to celebrate a special birthday.
It was nice to see the general manager greeting guests in reception, some are stuffy but not this one. Drinks in the Cocktail Bar is always a good way to peruse the menu and extensive wine list.

In the restaurant we were attended by no less than 5 staff who made sure every detail was taken care of. The Tempura Prawns I had for starters were simply magnificent. They serve 3 which is just the right amount for a healthy appetite. Our main courses of Sirloin Beef off the bone and Dover Sole were every bit the fine dining you come to expect from this hotel.

A truly lovely experience without any gimmicks.

Room Tip: Try the Cocktails they are made to order and not watered down.
1  Thank Gerad B

Thank you very much for this glowing review. I am very pleased that you chose The George to celebrate a special birthday and that you enjoyed the Dover Sole and of course the Roast Beef off the silver trolley. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

We lived in Peterborough for many years and The George was often our venue of choice for special occasions, but we'd never stayed over. This time we were on a trip around the UK from our now home in Canada and, after a disappointment at a hotel further south, we decided to head north and break our journey at The George for old times sake.
The room was small looking out onto the courtyard, but it had a nice big comfy bed and the bathroom was gorgeous.
We ate in the Garden Room which we've enjoyed many times over the years and it didn't disappoint.
The hotel is strolling distance from the High Street and a nice walk by the river too.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
chrispitman, General Manager at The George Of Stamford, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Such a wonderful title and lovely compliments, thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. We are very pleased that you decided to break your journey with us on your visit back to the UK. We do hope that we will see you again when you are next in the country. Thank you once again.

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Regular visitor to the George and it never disappoints. Staff are always welcoming, professional and service is excellent. Rooms are comfortable and immaculately maintained. Recent redecoration has added bright new colours and brought the rooms up to date. Food is excellent and menu choices provide something for everyone. If I have a grumble it's that you can't book the garden room for dinner and the rooms onto the main high street are noisy well into the early hours.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank ForeverBlue9

Thank you very much for your kind words, especially about the staff. Lovely to hear that you like the recent redecoration. I am also pleased that you enjoy the food and like the menus available. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

So much to enjoy here. Huge free car park, beautiful well kept gardens, well appointed quiet room with every comfort. HDTV, LED lighting, air con, enormous bed. Impressive bathroom with modern fittings. Interesting public rooms, log fires, friendly bustle, excellent service. No lift but the friendly porter (Tamas) carried our cases all the way from the car park to our room (No 4). Two excellent dining rooms and quaint courtyard. We had delicious food throughout our stay.
This kind of luxury comes at a price but well worth it.
Just one minus point. No tea making facilities in the room. We like our morning tea in bed but we did appreciate the complimentary bottles of Hildon water.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank saxville

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this review. I am very pleased that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay, especially your bedroom. Tamas was very touched that you mentioned him personally. We look forward to your next stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stamford
The William Cecil at Stamford
#1 of 1 in Hambleton
Haycock Hotel
Haycock Hotel
#16 of 27 in Peterborough

Been to The George Of Stamford? Share your experiences!