“Would stay again - very pleased”

The George Of Stamford
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Stamford
Melton mowbray
“Would stay again - very pleased”
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Very good service, great food, pricey but worth it.
We stayed for a night last week for my wife's birthday and very much enjoyed our visit.
The food was wonderful, the surrounding town of Stamford is lovely to walk around. Will be seeing you soon.

• Stayed June 2014
chrispitman, General Manager at The George Of Stamford, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
It was lovely to read that you both enjoyed your time at The George last week, especially as it was your wife’s birthday, and to know that you would stay with us again. Thank you very much for your kind comments and we look forward when you are next here.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Turkish first
Retford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I have never reviewed anything online before but I am compelled to do so by my stay at this utterly brilliant hotel. Myself, my wife and our 11-month-old son were made to feel like regular guests despite it being our first visit and the staff are quite simply the best I have ever come across in this country. Our cumbersome buggy was whisked away behind reception, no questions asked or noses turned up, and every member of staff we encountered was attentive and friendly without being overbearing or cloying. The food was delicious (rabbit ragu pasta the highlight), the surroundings were stylish, historic and comfortable and the atmosphere was rarified but not in any way snobby. I was aware of the hotel's excellent reputation beforehand but I'm a big believer in making your own mind up and it is - if there is a better hotel anywhere near this then they're lying. Other establishments could learn a huge amount from The George of Stamford and we will be back time and again. James Peck and family.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for this really glowing report. I am so happy that you felt like regular guests and were well looked after. We have all been really touched by your wonderful comments about the staff and food. It is very rewarding to know that our hard work is recognised. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Surrey
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Super hotel with amazing staff, in a wonderful area. Super Courtyard serving a variety of food during the day in such a great setting, we were lucky with the weather which enabled us to eat outside. We ate in the more formal dining room in the evening which had a very good atmosphere and superb food. Rooms delightful, ask for a Courtyard room. Nothing too much trouble with an abundance of staff everywhere, but nothing rushed giving way to a relaxing stay.

Room Tip: Courtyard room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
It is always great to read such a wonderful title! Thank you very much for your lovely comments about your recent stay. I see the weather was kind and that you were able to enjoy the wonderful courtyard. Many thanks.
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stayed at The George over a weekend. Its a busy place and retains old fashioned values. Nothing seems to be too much trouble and their seems to be a willing member of staff around every corner. I would imagine that in winter its a very cosy place to be. Food and ambiance in the Garden Restaurant was very good. Most enjoyable, not cheap, but you certainly get what you pay for.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
chrispitman, General Manager at The George Of Stamford, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and even though we were very busy you were still well looked after. We hope to welcome you back soon. Many thanks.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We have just had a wonderful night at this hotel. The staff are superb in all respects. There is a lovely old world atmosphere throughout. We had a slight problem with our room and they sorted this out at once with no hassle by finding us a better room. The surrounding gardens are delightful as is the courtyard. The town itself is also lovely to visit.
The evening meal was pleasant. there was a very nice atmosphere in the dining room and again the staff were superb. The food was a little disappointing as I had asked for my duck breast to be cooked pink and my husband had asked for his calves liver to be pink. However they both arrived well cooked.
The breakfast was very good with a delicious fruit salad and lots of cooked alternatives to choose from. We will certainly return.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your superb review about your recent stay with us. I am very sorry though that your main course was served well done when you had requested pink. The chef should not have let that happen at all and I am very disappointed. However I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed all the other aspects of your stay and we look forward to your next visit.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed at the George hotel to celebrate my birthday this year. I thought it was a great idea as I had stayed there many times before over 15 years ago and I absolutely loved it.

We checked into the hotel and we were upgraded to an executive room. The room was fabulous with a view over the courtyard. It couldn't have been a more idyllic way to spend my birthday

We had pre dinner drinks in the York Bar and dinner in the Garden Room........ This is where it goes wrong. The food isn't worthy of the hotel and at most is mediocre. Very disappointing to say the least. Over cooked lobster and spaghetti. No member of staff ventured near to ask about the meal at all which for the standard of hotel I would have expected more. The restaurant itself didn't look particularly fresh and didn't look as though it had been touched in 15 years

Although I would recommend the hotel I certainly wouldn't recommend the food and don't think I will return.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments. I was very sad to see that you didn't enjoy your experience with us, especially as you were celebrating your birthday. The Garden Room is hugely popular and so are the two dishes that you chose. I am very sorry that they were not to your liking. The half lobster and spaghetti is one of our top selling dishes. I do hope that you will change your mind and decide to visit again.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Having read so many good reviews I was looking forward to eating at the George for the second time, the first being many years ago. The gardens are lovely and the hotel is full of tradiition, the dining room is lovely with its oak panels and I was truly looking forward to a great food experience. The waiters were attentive and and the service good so I what could go wrong. Well I must say the main course I had was tepid and not nice at all, the meat was flavourless. Also I think the general cost for the whole experience was far in excess of what we received, the cost of vegetables was far too high and again were not hot. We all had the desserts which were good, the coffee was ok but I have had a lot better.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review and please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointing meal. I greatly appreciate your positive comments on the gardens and the service from the staff but of course I was sad to read your comments regarding the food. I have spoken with the Head Chef this morning to look into the points you've raised. I do hope that you will come and visit again so we can restore your faith us once more. Thank you
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stamford
The William Cecil at Stamford
Barnsdale Lodge Hotel and Restaurant
Talbot Hotel
Talbot Hotel
#1 of 1 in Oundle

Been to The George Of Stamford? Share your experiences!