“Mediocre at best ”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Stamford
Birmingham
“Mediocre at best ”
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Have been to The George several times as my husbands family live in Stamford and seem to favour this place above any other.
Have eaten in both The Garden Room and The Main Room.
Have never been blown away by the food there, in either room.
My last visit we dined in The Garden room.
Prior to our meal we had a drink at the bar and I watched various members of staff bring out canapés for customers eating in The Main room, I heard one lady ask what the canapés were to which the reply from the teenage waiter bringing them out was 'sorry I can't remember' I thought that was particularly shoddy and shows poor awareness of the food on the staff members part.
Anyway, after waiting what seemed like hours for the food to appear, our meal in The Garden room was average, the crab and brown shrimp cake was lovely, however the lobster with spaghetti at £22.50 was poor. Over cooked pasta in a bland generic tomato sauce and chewy lobster, was actually the worst lobster I've ever had sadly. We asked several times for condiments ie salt and pepper as none were on the table, no olive oil for the pasta which we asked 3 times for.
Why the service is so bad here I don't know, it's been the same every time I've been here and the uniforms if you can call them that need a serious over haul. Girls in tight short skirts and see through stained blouses I would say is not entirely appropriate for the type of restaurant The George is trying to be, they need smartening up and giving a uniform which reflects the type of place they work in, not a corner cafe serving full English and fish and chips basically.
The George has the ability to offer a fantastic dining experience, what seems to hold it back is the mediocre over priced dishes on the menu and the poor service from the restaurant staff.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank hostie1085
chrispitman, General Manager at The George Of Stamford, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
I have read your review and I’m afraid I disagree with what you have said. Also, we have many customers that come to The George just for the lobster – which are delivered live and therefore cooked freshly every morning. Your comments regarding the the staff are very wrong.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Turkish first
Stamford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I recently helped organise a Hen Night Dinner in the London Room (private dining room) at The George, which took place last night. What a wonderful evening was had by all. I can't praise the staff enough.

In the run-up to the event, Nicki and Jodie in Reservations were fantastic - uber-organised, responsive, friendly, patient and helpful, going the extra mile to accommodate various requests. On the night all the staff we encountered, from Reception to wait staff to porters, were excellent. Particular thanks must go to the supremely professional/always-smiling/ever-vigilant Duty Manager, Paul (who has been there for years and is a big asset to the hotel) and our charming, communicative, highly efficent head waitress Julia. All the little extra touches were much appreciated: just one example of many was putting flowers that the bride-to-be had received in cold storage overnight so that they remained fresh for her to collect the following morning, etc. So thoughtful.

The ambience of the beautiful wood-panelled London Room remains unbeatable for a special occasion (seats up to 30), with soft lighting, flickering candles around the stone fireplace, immaculately-laid tables, lovely flower arrangements, etc, etc.

The food was top-notch. How they provide that kind of quality for such a large party (especially as the hotel was chockablock, with a wedding plus two public restaurants to cater for besides us) is beyond me. The chef and his team truly deserve congratulations. Two guests went out of their way to tell me that the Roast Beef Sirloin (which is carved from a huge joint at the table) was the best they had ever tasted. The vegetable accompaniments for all dishes were perfectly cooked and plentiful. The puddings (fabulous choice of about 7 or 8 things, all homemade) were also particularly admired. The cheese board offered as an alternative is second-to-none.

Lastly I must say that whilst The George obviously isn't cheap - why would it be for something of this standard? - the cost of our evening at around £70 per head, including champagne and canapes on arrival, three delicious courses, wine with the meal, plus coffee with petits fours, was to my mind great value bearing in mind the exceptional quality of the food, service and setting provided.

Very many thanks to all involved for an absolutely delightful evening.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
chrispitman, General Manager at The George Of Stamford, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Well, I don’t know where to begin! I shall start by saying I am really pleased that you all had a wonderful night celebrating with the bride to be on such a special evening. To know that the dinner went smoothly and that the food was enjoyed by everyone is extremely important to us and of course satisfying to know. All your kind words have been passed on the staff you have personally mentioned and they were thrilled to be recognised. Paul Bennett has been the Service Manager for many years and he does do a superb job, he was also very touched that you had taken the time to write about him. Thank you so much and we look forward seeing you in The George soon.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This is an amazing place with some 700 plus years of history. Had a business lunch outside in the courtyard and it was fantastic. Roast beef carved at the table and lobster that was beautifully presented. An option is just to have coffee in its relaxing lounges and a great place to work. They have managed to mix an historic location in a fantastic town with modern day attitude to friendly and great service.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time to post this excellent review. We do have a wonderful building and our courtyard is a real hidden gem. Great to read that you had an excellent lunch and we look forward to seeing you again. Thank you for your comments.
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Visited The George whilst in Stamford and, sadly, staying at a hotel just up the road!
The service, food and drinks were superb my only slight negative would be their prices.
However next time I am in Stamford I will return.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peter Y
Lovely to read that you enjoyed our hotel whilst you were in Stamford. Thank you very much for your kind review. I was so pleased to read that you found everything to be superb and we like to believe that we are excellent value for money. We shall look forward to your return - many thanks.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Group of 10 having meal in the oak panelled restaurant celebrating my birthday last minute email from the George offering reduced rate rooms and we were given a free upgrade to an executive room birthday card left for me in our room and special dessert later on all organised by the staff.exceptional service and quality from the drinks to the food to the room.delicious breakfast full english cooked fresh and brought to our table all included in the room rate.can't wait to come back love it. !!

• Stayed June 2014
What a fantastic title and review! I am so pleased that we helped to make your birthday celebrations special. We always try and upgrade rooms where we possible and I am happy that we were able to do this for you. Thank you for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Ripon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My room was clean and best described as cosy.Only two very soft pillows on an overly soft mattress.No duvet just a mass of blankets in the middle of June.Fan eventually provided for greenhouse-like room.
Bathroom newly and well re-done.
Food superb as ever and staff helpful.
On previous visits would have unhesitatingly given 5* but for above and location of my room
Avoid 50/51/52.There is a function room up flight of stairs just opposite and I could not sleep after a good day's sightseeing because of the din the guests upstairs made thumping along the old stairs and passage

Room Tip: Avoid street facing rooms
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
chrispitman, General Manager at The George Of Stamford, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you for your review. I was very sad to read that you were disappointed with the location of your room and mattress. We have recently purchased brand new, medium firmness mattresses for all our bedrooms, but I appreciate that everyone has different preferences. I also apologise if the function kept you awake. Lovely to see however that you found the staff and food superb as ever and we do hope that we have the chance to look after you again.
Boston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

just eaten here today lovely setting outside, food was good expensive though twenty pounds for a burger and chips even if it was tasty , we have stayed here before a couple of years ago which was nice a treat from our children, but today we felt rushed knowing others were waiting for tables and staff watching for you to finish so they could relay tables for them , i still like the george cause of its hotel and settings and will continue to visit it .

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed our best selling burger outside in the courtyard. Please don’t ever feel rushed - the staff are watching to make sure you are happy and that you have everything you need, not because we want the table back, but my apologies if you felt that. Lovely to know that you will continue to visit us and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stamford
The William Cecil at Stamford
Barnsdale Lodge Hotel and Restaurant
Barnsdale Hall Hotel
Barnsdale Hall Hotel
#2 of 2 in Barnsdale

Been to The George Of Stamford? Share your experiences!