Have been to The George several times as my husbands family live in Stamford and seem to favour this place above any other.
Have eaten in both The Garden Room and The Main Room.
Have never been blown away by the food there, in either room.
My last visit we dined in The Garden room.
Prior to our meal we had a drink at the bar and I watched various members of staff bring out canapés for customers eating in The Main room, I heard one lady ask what the canapés were to which the reply from the teenage waiter bringing them out was 'sorry I can't remember' I thought that was particularly shoddy and shows poor awareness of the food on the staff members part.
Anyway, after waiting what seemed like hours for the food to appear, our meal in The Garden room was average, the crab and brown shrimp cake was lovely, however the lobster with spaghetti at £22.50 was poor. Over cooked pasta in a bland generic tomato sauce and chewy lobster, was actually the worst lobster I've ever had sadly. We asked several times for condiments ie salt and pepper as none were on the table, no olive oil for the pasta which we asked 3 times for.
Why the service is so bad here I don't know, it's been the same every time I've been here and the uniforms if you can call them that need a serious over haul. Girls in tight short skirts and see through stained blouses I would say is not entirely appropriate for the type of restaurant The George is trying to be, they need smartening up and giving a uniform which reflects the type of place they work in, not a corner cafe serving full English and fish and chips basically.
The George has the ability to offer a fantastic dining experience, what seems to hold it back is the mediocre over priced dishes on the menu and the poor service from the restaurant staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The George of Stamford is one of England's greatest coaching inns. It retains the charm and atmosphere of its long history yet offers today's guests every modern comfort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Priceline, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your The George Of Stamford reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The George Of Stamford Hotel Stamford
- George Hotel Stamford
- George Stamford
- The George Stamford
- The George Of Stamford Lincolnshire