“Excellent Hotel”

The William Cecil at Stamford
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Stamford
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Stayed here for 1 night for my husband's birthday. We were in Room 21 The Guineas.
The room was delightful and was at the rear of the hotel so was very quiet. It was well supplied with a wonderful selection of unusual teas and delicious biscuits and also
a cafetierre and included a complimentary Elderflower vodka.
We had a delicious evening meal in the restaurant. The wines were a little pricey though.
Breakfast was excellent with a great choice.
All the staff we met were most helpful and very friendly and we would certainly recommend this hotel to our friends and intend visiting again ourselves. The hotel also has a large car park.

Room Tip: Ou room no 21 would not be suitable for everyone as it was up a narrow spiral stair. Certainly chose...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pat J
There are newer reviews for The William Cecil at Stamford

Reviewed 3 April 2012

Visited Stamford at the weekend for a wedding, and stayed at the William Cecil (also the venue for the reception). Hotel staff were friendly and showed us to our room (15, Pride). The room itself was really nice, a queen size bed with period furniture throughout, a 24" wall mounted tv and tea/coffee making facilities (including cafetierre). Bathroom very new/modern and very clean. Breakfast was standard English with continental selection, although it was buffet style as organised by the groom for guests (I believe normally it's a la carte). Booked well in advance so only £85 for the night and breakfast for two. Stamford itself is very nice and when I visit again, I would definately stop here again!

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank CreamDJ
Reviewed 25 March 2012

I stayed here in early February while on business in Lincolnshire, Having booked it through a room booking website I was not sure what to expect. On arrival on a very snowy evening I was checked in by some very helpful staff who showed me to my room. The room was very homely and comfortable leaving you very at ease. Breakfast is however where this establishment excelled, the poached eggs I got with my breakfast were exactly how I like them and the locally sourced sausages and bacon were superb. Would like to return on a pleasure trip to really enjoy the surrounding county.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank LONESTAR2012
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Can I first of all start by saying the room, ‘The Eighth Earl, was provided free gratis for two nights by Nick, the hotel manager because of a previous bad experience my wife and I had at the very same hotel. In order to make better sense of the following comments and why we were give the room free of charge, it would be helpful if the reader takes a look on the hotels website under testimonials or Trip Adviser at our last comments headed ‘Ten out of ten on every level’ where, you will note, we were extremely generous with positive comments about this hotel despite their failings.
Ok! So lets get down to the nitty gritty . We booked four deluxe rooms in order to accommodate other members of our family under one roof so we could celebrate our silver wedding anniversary. Not sure if the owners of the hotel or their staff, consider this to be a big deal in a married couples life but I am damn sure if my business interests were in hospitality I’d make some reference to that fact either by providing a card or some flowers or, at the very least, making sure the staff on reception gave some sort of verbal congratulations. Given the fact I was in contact with the staff on six occasions in the couple of months leading up to our stay and on all those occasions I mentioned we were coming to celebrate our silver wedding anniversary, it beggars belief , if only from trying to come from the perspective of encouraging repeat business, ZERO!! was made of what I believe is a lovely achievement in a married couples life together. The reader might be asking themselves why I’d been so pedantic in calling the hotel so many times to make sure all was going smooth and the reason for that is they couldn’t even get the booking process to work which didn’t inspire me with confidence for our stay. I tried to be proactive in making sure all went as smooth as possible from the very start by calling the hotel staff six weeks before our arrival asking if they would send me booking confirmation emails and a quick note of the room numbers along with which couple had been allotted which room. Four telephone calls and no emails were forthcoming, the fifth call (made the day before we were due to stay) initiated four (blank- no attachments) emails all at once but with no information on them so on the sixth occasion I spoke to Kate and asked if she would just simplify it by giving me the ’info’ verbally so I could write it down. She apologised about the problem with our request for emails and told me the computer system they had was antiquated which meant it would take about half an hour to create an attachment so they couldn’t do it. The first time we stayed at this hotel was, apart from two sleepless night due to an over enthusiastic couple, a pleasure. Five months on and this hotel has gone from hero to zero, it was like staying in a completely different hotel.
Apart from the restaurant manager who was ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT! Most of the rest of the staff were unfriendly and po-faced. The service was almost as bad as it gets, a requested refill of coffee at breakfast took over fifteen minutes on the first day and on the second we all just gave up after waiting over twenty minutes. Jan and I arrived at 9.20 for breakfast on the Sunday morning to find all the pastry, croissant and yogurt had been eaten but not replaced, I asked if more yogurt could be found and the waitress told me if I could wait at he breakfast bar for no more than two or three minutes, yep! you’ve guessed it! almost ten embarrassing minutes went by with me stood looking like a lemon so I had to start the process all over again by asking another waitress.
My son and his partner weren’t offered a breakfast menu just a verbal option of a full English breakfast which was then ordered by them on the belief that’s all that was on offer. I could go on but I would be laboring the point.
The fact is, this hotel’s prices point is upmarket, our rooms were lovely, it’s service delivery is very much down market. All four couples are in complete agreement with my comments and in fact two of the couples were much more upset about the whole experience and wanted to complain directly to the hotel owners. Both our daughter and our son are more upset for us rather than themselves because they understood what a big deal this was to Jan and I. Our Silver wedding celebration can never be brought back but more importantly for the hotel non of us will ever return. Mind you, I don’t think they’d really care, otherwise non of this would have happened - How sad!!

4  Thank JIM W
Rogereh, Director of Sales at The William Cecil at Stamford, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2012

We are very sorry indeed to read about this reviewer's poor experience and would like to assure them that we take all their issues extremely seriously and have learnt several lessons from the points they have raised. We are constantly striving to improve our service, and whilst there is no doubt that we have let ourselves down with this particular experience, for which we apologise unreservedly to the reviewer, we do always try to ensure that our guests' expectations are met each and every time they visit the William Cecil. We just hope that the reviewer is reassured by these comments and may yet consider returning to us in the future.

Reviewed 18 March 2012

Friendly staff on reception, housekeeping and restaurant. Stayed one night in March. Bedroom heating not working and despite several well-meaning attempts to sort it, there was no result. Apparently it was a known problem. After 2 hours we asked for an electric heater, which did arrive. Evening meal was fine. However, breakfast was a different matter. It took 40 minutes and several enquiries between ordering and receipt of cooked breakfast. The problem appeared to be a large wedding party, for which in our opinion, the hotel management should have put on extra staff.
Could be a really nice place.

Room Tip: Check the room temperature before unpacking?
5  Thank Mr_MrsB_12
Reviewed 5 March 2012

We were given a free upgrade to a chic room, apart from needing a bit of a dust the room was lovely with a huge bed nice toiletries etc. Unfortunately we were awoken by what we think was a very noisy extractor fan from the kitchens. Was like something taking off and went on for far too long. I also ordered a Daily Mail at the reception and the lady misheard me twice, saying a Telegraph, then a Times!! Hence, I got a Times in the morning and was told i could read the Daily Mail in the breakfast room, i declined and got it taken off the bill. Other than this niggle it was a nice place with a nice breakfast and if you're in the area then try it out.

1  Thank AliBLeicester
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Nice friendly staff and good service. Had dinner in the hotel the first night chose the fish special which was extremely good. One comment I would like to make though is that when specials are added to the menu you should be made aware of the cost. However the meal was very good. Breakfasts were good on both days and the service excellent. At all times the staff were very attentiveand helpful.

The room we were given had a few minor problems ie door knobs falling off but I suppose thats what makes it quirky!

Room Tip: I think it would have been helpful to have the individual rooms shown on the website in order that y...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stamford
The Bull & Swan
#2 of 2 in Barnsdale
Haycock Hotel
Haycock Hotel
#17 of 27 in Peterborough

Been to The William Cecil at Stamford? Share your experiences!