“Would go back”

The William Cecil at Stamford
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Stamford
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Was pleasantly surprised that Stamford is a lovely town and should be more than just a brief stop on the road North. Had a lovely big and quiet room in the William Cecil which had been recently refurbed but had kept its character. Dinner was excellent and the breakfast very good. Good value for money and would certainly go back.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
PaulBrn, Manager at The William Cecil at Stamford, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Thank you for your lovely review. We're delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you in Stamford again, very soon.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

Not all the rooms are great. Stayed here on business with several colleagues. They all had great rooms however room number 3 which I stayed in was awful.. it has an old front door in the bathroom and the bed is in the middle of the room with large double doors behind it. Simply makes the room a rather uncomfortable place to be. My other complaint was the length of time to be served at breakfast. On the positives the hotel is well decorated, the food was very good when it arrived and the staff friendly. Recommended but avoid room 3 and give yourself enough time to order your meals.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Kevin H
DomBish, Manager at The William Cecil at Stamford, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

I am sorry that you found Room 3 not to you liking, we do receive very positive feedback on our rooms generally. Please do look through the gallery of our bedrooms before booking on the next occasion and see if there is one that catches your eye. Rest assured we are working on the speed of service issue and feel through our very recent changes that this issue is being addressed. We do hope you return to us in the very near future.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

Stayed one night for business, the room was dominated by a huge bed! Great but the surround was wooden and just the right height to catch your leg on the corner and take home some terrific bruising!!! Room 2 Ouch
Room was clean but it was quite warm, it had the winter quilt which was very snugly but needed the window open.
Breakfast in the morning was very disappointing, the service was poor, the poor man did was hindered by one arm in a sling, but the girl did not appear to know what to do without watching for his reaction, there was not proactively and although the restaurant was not busy it took 40 mins for our breakfast service. They forgot to bring ordered toast and had to be chased.
The orange juice was off, fizzy and shows it had just been continually topped up rather than cleaned. Even though the waitress was told she did nothing about it all the time we were there being more concerned with sorting papers out near the till.
My colleague asked for a vegetarian full breakfast, sooo funny a slice of tomato, one small flat mushroom and scrambled eggs!!! For the prices charged it was very poor. I had poached eggs ( once the chicken laid them, they were lovely) a single mushroom and a small portion of beans. Another colleague hit the jackpot with the Eggs Royale!! So there's my tip, Eggs Benedict looked good too. Other colleagues said the full breakfast was pleasant but slow.
So veggies beware lol

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Pandora998

Thank you for taking the time to review The William Cecil at Stamford. I would like to apologise for your recent experience at The William Cecil and rest assured that this is no way indicative of the service we strive to offer at the hotel.
We do most certainly clean out the orange juice dispenser everyday and I am very disappointed to read that the orange juice was fizzy for your breakfast.
Following your comments we are reviewing our Vegetarian breakfast offering, I am pleased to read that once your breakfast arrived it was of a high standard. As stated below we have reviewed our breakfast service very recently and changed the staffing structure to ensure a smoother service.
I do hope we are able to welcome you back in the very near future to see that the changes we have made are for the better.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

Such welcoming and helpful staff in a quirky and well looked after hotel. I stayed for one night and paid extra for a luxury double room which I'm so glad I did. I had a huge double bed in a big room with bay windows overlooking the terrace area towards the car park and gardens. The room felt luxurious with small touches that made such a difference. For example the good quality tea and coffee with cafetiere and tea pot and the midnight munchies box (a mini bar of quality snacks). I will definitely ask for the same room again when I find an excuse in the future to stay again! The room was called Cecil. Breakfast was fantastic with a buffet choice and a menu choice, I didn't feel rushed at all. In fact the whole stay was very relaxing and thoroughly enjoyable.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
D_Bish0p, Manager at The William Cecil at Stamford, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

We really do appreciate your wonderful comments and do hope you return to us very soon. We have only recently added the Midnight Munchies to our rooms so are delighted you enjoyed them.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights whilst attending our nephews wedding held at the hotel. There was a few room reservation/allocation problems but with so many people with he same surname this can happen and the receptionist excelled herself at sorting this out. I agree the rooms are hot and the road noise means you cant have the window open but they did provide a fan. The bed linen, towels and "extras" were of good quality and the beds extremely comfortable. The wedding itself was fantastic and the wedding co-ordinator was excellent. So why not 5 stars? The reason was that the breakfast service was very slow although the food itself was again of good quality apart from the toast that was rather like hot bread. Coffee was the best hotel type I have had in ages and nice and hot. Also PLEASE do not store the laundry bags at the bottom of the feature staircase as it looks very untidy and detracts from the lovely staircase itself, in my opinion. I took the picture on the Sunday morning but it was double this size on the Saturday while the wedding was on..at least put a screen around it if it has to be stored there. perhaps I should have said something at the time as wasn't the only person to comment on the laundry pile. It sounds a bit picky but the solution is really easy.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room ask for one away from the road at the front
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Thank you so much for taking the time to review The William Cecil. It is pleasing to read that on the whole you enjoyed your stay with us. Rest assured that your comments in regards to breakfast and the laundry have been passed on to the Food & Beverage Manager who is already in the process of acting upon them.
We do hope that we can welcome you back to us in the near future.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

My Wife and I stayed her for one night in September. We stayed on the Burleigh Break which included a three course dinner and a Chic room.
The room was located on the top floor meaning three flights of stairs and was very warm. I am guessing this would be unbearable in Summer and a fan should be left available if needed in the room. Room itself was very nice but a small bathroom. The Dinner itself caused confusion as at first we were told we had an allocation of £30 each but were then told it was in fact any three courses which was good as mathematically you could not get three courses for £30. I would suggest the advert needs sorting as it does state " 3 course meal in the restaurant".
The food itself was excellent.
Only problem we had was at checkout when we were going to be billed for the cost of the meal, explained we were on the Burleigh break and were then offered £60 off, where once again I had to state it was advertised as a three course meal inclusive, no mention of expense allocation. Eventually had cost of meal taken off bill but I really feel I shouldn't have to haggle at the Reception desk.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

I am very sorry for the confusion surrounding your rate and we will certainly look into this as a matter of urgency to ensure there is no future issues surrounding this. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your evening meal though.
We do hope that you return to us soon.,

Reviewed 26 September 2013

The hotel is ideally placed to meet all needs whilst at Burleigh. the rooms are comfortable and well maintained with a bit of character. Very dog friendly. Bar food is very good at the staff were extremely friendly helpful and efficient.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

It is very pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay over Burghley Horse Trials with us. We have just released next years rate so book now to avoid any disappointment.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stamford
The George Of Stamford
#2 of 2 in Barnsdale
Greetham Valley Hotel
Greetham Valley Hotel
#1 of 1 in Greetham

Been to The William Cecil at Stamford? Share your experiences!