What a lucky find. We intended to stay only one night, but ended up staying three! We could have spent 2 or 3 times the price at the beautiful George Hotel nearby, but the Bull & Swan - also a historic former coaching inn, but much smaller, cheaper and a lot less grand - is also full of character and turned out to be the perfect choice for us. We wanted to celebrate our wedding anniversary, but also to visit a few historic churches in and near Stamford that had family connections.The Bull & Swan was just perfect.
On arrival we were mildly confused looking for the reception (there isn't one, just go into the bar), but then we were greeted pleasantly by a young member of staff and shown our room. This was fairly large, simply but tastefully decorated and, despite being over the bar and overlooking the main road, we were not troubled by any undue noise.
We chose to eat-in each night. On the first evening, we sat in the main dining area but feared this might be a mistake as we were the only ones there. We need not have worried: the manager and waitresses were very attentive. In fact we could not fault the service we received for the whole of our stay. And the food was excellent.
All in all, we thought this was a great place to stay and would certainly choose it again if we were to visit Stamford again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Once upon a time there was a drinking club at Burghley House. It was founded by The 5th Earl of Exeter in 1684 and it was called The Honourable Order of Little Bedlam. It had an eclectic bunch of members: The Baptist Earl of Gainsborough was known as Greyhound, The Hon Charles Bertie was The Stag and The Earl of Denbigh was Tyger amongst other nefarious characters. They would have drunk locally brewed ales, feasted on Burghley Estate and other local produce and created total bedlam. Things have a habit of coming round and we are delighted to invite you to dine on our local produce, sup our fine ales and obviously behave very, very well! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your The Bull & Swan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Bull & Swan Hotel Stamford
- The Bull And Swan
- Bull And Swan Stamford
- The Bull & Swan Stamford, Lincolnshire