“Bring Your Ear Plugs”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Stamford
Leeds
“Bring Your Ear Plugs”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We spent one night at this hotel/pub. The food and service were first rate and we dined and breakfasted in the bar. The car park is very tight and requires no little skill to negotiate and the address on the High Street can be confusing. Most, if not all, the bedrooms are at the front of the hotel on the High Street and, if you enjoy being awakened by heavy traffic at 4.00 a.m., then no problem but I would recommend the food but NOT the accommodation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not on the High Street and, if not available, go elsewhere.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Miloj
James C, Manager at The Bull & Swan, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post us your honest feedback and I would like to thank you for your kind words regarding both the food & service during your stay.
Unfortunately due to the age of our fantastic building we are unable to install double glazing to combat the noise from outside, however, we are working on getting secondary glazing throughout the hotel and would love to welcome you back in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Yorkshire, England
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We recently had a weekend break here in April - thoroughly enjoyed the stay.

We stayed in the first floor front room called the Badger, large and comfortable with a floor that sloped in every direction due to the age of the property. Nice clean shower room attached with plenty of free toiletries.

The bar served some really nice real ale beers, tried almost all of them over the weekend and all were good.

Ate in the restaurant one night and although the food was very good (we only had the fish and chips as they looked so good) the fish was cooked with the skin on which is a pet hate of ours so we had to leave a lot of the really nice batter - sorry chef but this is just our taste - apart from that small point the food was lovely.

Small free car park that fills up quickly and the weekend we stayed the hotel was full of TVR owners so parking was limited but we managed to get a space both nights.

Pleasant 10 minute walk into Stamford town centre which is a really nice town with plenty of small local shops - no big high street retail chains. Had a great weekend and will more than likely return to the Bull and Swan when we do.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank YorkshireTraveller12
James C, Manager at The Bull & Swan, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Badger is certainly one of my favourite rooms purely because of the floor and I often think that if we did level the floor would it take away too much character from the room
I’m pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again next time you are in Stamford.
Lincs
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Stayed at The Bull and Swan a few weeks ago. Just one night but felt so refreshed afterwards... We booked Wild Horses, which is a room at the front of the hotel. We quite like a bit of traffic noise so it didn't bother us at all. Not cheap at £160 a night and overall a very nice room - but just a couple of minor points. The throw on the bed was a bit dirty and very tatty and ripped whichever way round you turned it. There is no way housekeeping could possibly miss the state it's in! I'm sure it was beautiful when it was new, but to walk into a room at that price, and see it laid on your bed is not nice. The carpet ditto - dirty and stained especially around the tea/coffee tray and bedside table area. Not what you'd expect from this level of hotel. Apart from that our stay was great. Lovely breakfast and staff and very comfy bed.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank HQW
James C, Manager at The Bull & Swan, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you for leaving us your honest feedback, following you recent stay with us. I have taken on board all of your comments and I do hope you return to see the changes made.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

A fantastic hotel and a very enjoyable stay. We got married in Stamford on 29 March. I checked in in the early evening on 28/03 and got a warm welcome and help with my luggage.I had room number 2 all to myself and it was great: the most comfortable hotel bed ever, furniture and decor with character and a nice en suite bathroom. Breakfast on the Saturday morning was a lovely start to my wedding day: the service and food were faultless. As other reviews have said, Tom was very helpful and attentive to all guests throughout the breakfast. I asked him to book me a taxi later in the day, which he did, and I received a courtesy call to tell me when it
arrived. A minor detail perhaps but it added to the overall enjoyment of the stay. After the wedding, we stayed in room 1 and it was spacious and comfortable, with a lovely bathroom. The only thing I'd have liked to have had was some sort of curtain at the window as it faces directly not the main high street and for privacy during the day, we had to let down the blind. In total 9 of my family stayed at the hotel and we all agreed that it was excellent value for money and a thoroughly enjoyable stay.

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Helen V
James C, Manager at The Bull & Swan, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post us your feedback and congratulations from everybody here on your recent nuptials. Tom and the rest of the team are thrilled you had such a great stay.

Best of luck in the future and we all look forward to seeing you back at The Bull & Swan very soon
Suffolk
Reviewed 31 March 2014

A lovely character Hotel in a perfect location to access all that Stamford has to offer.
It has a lovely laid back feel to with staff being helpful throughout the whole stay. The food is great and locally sourced and plenty of wines to choose from.
It's just a great place to stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nik C
James C, Manager at The Bull & Swan, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
We are indeed blessed with a fantastic location, just off the A1 but far enough away from the hustle and bustle of Stamford life, I will be sure to pass on your kind words to all the team including Chef who will be thrilled to read that you enjoyed the food during your stay.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We stayed for two nights last week. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff. The bedroom, number 6, was huge and the bathroom was lovely. The stairs are steep, which may be problem if you have a disability, but the staff were so helpful with our bags.

We ate there one night. Lovely dining room and food. Breakfast excellent.

The Bull and Swan is also well placed for the town and Burleigh House. Would recommend without reservation.

Room Tip: Our room was at the front and traffic noise could be a problem if you sleep with the window open.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HGLL85
James C, Manager at The Bull & Swan, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Thank you for your lovely review, unfortunately we are stuck with our very old staircase however I am pleased to read that we had somebody available to assist you with your luggage.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

I'm reviewing the room Nr. 3 which was described as "slightly smaller" than other rooms. This room is supposed to be a double room. I'm pregnant (late stage)  and my stay was just a nightmare. Almost impossible to sleep there for two adults. The room is too noisy during the day because is probably over the kitchen.
The pillows are absolutely unsupportive and really uncomfortable.
I hit TV with my shoulder every time I wanted to go to the bath or along the bed.
The wardrobe had unpleasant smell so couldn't hang any clothes there.
I felt really claustrophobic. The hotel has 4 stars but how could sell this storage room sized aka Nr. 3 room for the that price as a double?
The service during the breakfast was slow. The staff is friendly unfortunately it can not compensate my negative impression. The size of room absolutely unsuitable for more than 1 person and I would think really thoroughly to pay for it the full price. My advice avoid the Nr.3 room even if is everything around fully booked.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ErikaMG
James C, Manager at The Bull & Swan, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
I am truly sorry that you didn’t enjoy your recent stay with us, Room three is indeed as advertised the smaller of our rooms which is also reflected in the rate which we charge. I am also some what saddened that you didn’t mention any of your issues during your four night stay, this would have given us the opportunity to put these right and maybe even move you into a different room for your stay.

I will pass on your kind words regarding the staff that you did encounter during your stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stamford
The William Cecil at Stamford
Barnsdale Lodge Hotel and Restaurant
Barnsdale Hall Hotel
Barnsdale Hall Hotel
#2 of 2 in Barnsdale

Been to The Bull & Swan? Share your experiences!