The Bull & Swan
The Stage(Market Deeping)
  • Restaurant
Sibson Inn Hotel(Peterborough)
View Hotel
All reviewsthe pubsister hotelroll top bathearly morning trafficseparate toiletday bedburghley househuge bathroomegyptian cotton beddingminute walk from the centrebusy roadwalk in showerluxury roomsmall bottlecar parkgood quality ingredientsdouble glazing
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed in Room 1 (Ram) for one night and had a very pleasant stay. Our room was lovely - very large with a big comfortable bed, attractively decorated and imaginatively furnished. The bathroom was also large and had a free standing, roll-top bath and separate shower cubicle. The room was quite hot as the hotel is not air conditioned but we asked for a fan to be brought to the room on our way out for dinner and when we returned it had been provided for us so no complaints at all.
Parking is a bit tight but this is the sister hotel to the William Cecil just down the road where there is a very large car park and I'm sure it would be fine to park there instead if necessary.
All in all we would definitely recommend the hotel and Room 1.

Room Tip: Room 1 is spacious and attractive but is at the front of the hotel so some road noise is heard although the secondary double glazing blocks most of this.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
James C, Manager at The Bull & Swan, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us, I am happy to see that you enjoyed the ‘Ram’ and his furnishings, many of which are custom made for us in India.

Our entrance is indeed quite narrow so we do suggest The William Cecil for alternative parking and for those of us with a nervous disposition!

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed here for one night as we were going to the battle proms concert at Burghley House. Ideal situation and in walking distance of the concert... rooms dated and dark but comfortable... i just wish they would have one mattress on a double bed and not 2 singles made up as one...very narrow entrance to the car park...but accessible... the breakfast was disappointing... we ordered a full English but it was not as we would normally expect for a high class hotel...the portion was small, and not very appetising... seemed as though it had been sitting around for a while and not freshly cooked. and when asked for more toast with the breakfast we had finished eating and it still hadn't arrived.. very expensive b and b rate for what was offered. There is no double glazing ... a very old property. It was a hot night and we needed to have the window open but as we were at the front of the house it was very noisy all night long...

Room Tip: ask for a room at the back ..to avond street noise
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
James C, Manager at The Bull & Swan, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post us your honest feedback from your stay with us.
I’m sorry to read that there were a number of flaws during your stay; we pride ourselves on our breakfast offerings and the feedback we get, so I am extremely disappointed that we seem to of let you down in this area, I will be sure to look into what happened and make sure it doesn’t happen again.

Sadly, as a listed building, double glazing will probably never be an option for us, however, we are looking into various different options regarding air conditioning at the pub to prevent this kind of problem from reoccurring in the future.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights. A small hotel right in the heart of Stamford. Our room was spacious and well set out, bathroom adequate. The only issue we had was the room did get stuffy, no air con just a fan. The bedding was a doona without a sheet so you either slept with a heavy doona over you or nothing. Only one window would open to allow some fresh air, however being on the main road the noise of passing traffic made it difficult to get a good nights sleep.
Breakfast was really good, a continental buffet, plus whatever you wanted cooked. The service was impeccable, could not fault it. Any request we made was handled efficiently and with a smile.
Downstairs is a pub where good meals are served. Within easy walking distance to Burghley house.

Room Tip: A room not so close to the road!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the whole team who work tirelessly to make sure that every guests stay is as enjoyable as your own.
We are currently looking into various air conditioning options that will make a huge difference in the future and I would love to see you again to experience this.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

My visit here was superb! This is a throw back to the coach house days with a modern touch, eat atmosphere, lovely staff and great choice of beer. Our room, with it's warped floors and old furniture was a real pleasure to stay in. My only regret is that we didn't take the dogs, who would have been welcomed not only in the rooms but also in the bar. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for a lovely review, I’m glad everything was to your liking.
I hope to see you again in the near future; dogs included who will certainly be made welcome at The Bull & Swan.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Travelling from London, I arrived at the dead of night and couldn't have got a kinder or warmer welcome from the night porter, who I'd managed to get hold of via the sister hotel The William Cecil, just up the street, to let him know I'd be there about 1.30am.
Shown straight to my room, it was clear it was a beautifully furnished and a well thought out space.
The bath was actually in the room, which was a little odd, but not a problem - and the windows overlooked the main street, which for me was possibly not perfect as I'm a light sleeper and so the traffic noise was a bit of a problem. Not the hotel's fault - my issue!
Very comfortable bed. Clean fluffy towels. Good television, although at that time of night all I was interested in was sleep. Clean room too - and a clean loo.
Very entertaining and warm notes about the room regarding usage of various bits and pieces - the best one was about the phone system.. 'The phone looks like it can do a load of stuff - but all you have to do is to dial zero and one of us will answer!' - or words to that effect.. The other was to encourage guests not to demand clean towels every day: 'Don't throw the towel in!' was the headline - very amusing. I liked that - it gave it a personal touch.
I didn't sleep particularly well - but this was purely due to traffic noise, and with a gorgeous old building like that you would never expect double glazing - or indeed want it. So, if you are a light sleeper, I recommend you ask for a quieter room.
Two little issues - I put in for an early morning call and some bright spark had unplugged the phone, perhaps the night before, (housekeeping possibly didn't notice when they serviced it after the previous guest) and as I had finally managed to doze off about 6am, I overslept - which made for an interesting and somewhat frantic half hour as I had a conference to attend and was panicking I was going to be late..
So, after a 'cat lick' I had to dash downstairs to a pre-ordered breakfast which turned out to be acceptable, but not particularly overwhelming, if one was honest..
The other issue was the headboard. FANTASTICALLY ornate and beautiful - a lions mask protruding from a wonderfully carved, and as it turned out, HARD wood..
Sleeping alone and being restless due to noise outside, I did quite a bit of tossing and turning and every time I did so, I was clonked smartly on the head by the protruding lion! I should have moved down the bed a bit, but didn't think of it at the time - my head is still a little bruised!
But overall it was a super place - Id recommend it to anyone and if I return to Stamford, Id most definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper - ask for a quiet room, the hotel overlooks the main street and there is a lot of traffic that carries on throughout the night. If you have room 7 (which is very pretty) - enjoy - but wear a hard hat to bed, the very picturesque carved headboard with lion's head sticks out a long way and every time you sit up, you will be clonked!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your honest feedback and apologies that you missed your alarm call due to your unplugged phone, I do hope you made your conference in good time. I’m happy to read that you enjoyed the many quirky touches which we include in all of our rooms to help create that personal touch you mention.
I look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Stamford and I will be sure to personally check the phone before you arrive!