“NOTHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT”

Ask Italian - Stamford
Ranked #31 of 116 Restaurants in Stamford
Price range: US$9 - US$17
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Based in the heart of the Lincolnshire town of Stamford, the ASK Italian restaurant provides a stylish base in which to enjoy the culinary delights of Italian food at more than affordable prices. Offering a clean and crisp modern interior and a lovely patio for warmer days, the restaurant boasts an attractive setting. Amongst the specials is the delicious Milanese dish of beef meatballs cooked with fire roasted peppers, caramelised onions, chilli and tomato sauce served on penne pasta and topped with cheese and cooked in the oven. Calm the palate down with a tasty tiramisu or lemon tart for dessert to complete an enjoyable meal at ASK Italian.
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Dined early on a Saturday evening. Welcome and service was good. Food was served hot and with no exceptional wait. I liked the decor and the overall ambience of the restaurant. Liked the wine glasses so much I bought six of them!!

Reviewed 5 February 2013

This used to be one of the best places to eat. It has gone down hill in its decor, food quality, food portion size and number of staff serving. I feel like I am in a primary school at my desk! Good for families probably but not the hub of life it used to be. Don't sit next to the patio doors, its draughty in cold weather.

Reviewed 24 January 2013

Each time I visit this eatery, it is with a heavy heart and great reluctance. The service is always rushed and I always vow not to return.

The food is okay, hot, but certainly I have never found the correct ambiance for a relaxing catch up with friends - Peterborough ASK on the other hand delivers up and beyond the expectation.

Reviewed 7 January 2013

Had a family lunch (8) and as usual nothing is too much trouble. Attentive staff with pizza and pasta that's well priced and filling. Only let down was the toilet, looking a bit shabby.

Reviewed 23 November 2012

We used to eat regularly at this restaurant until we both had a pasta dish with Bolognese sauce which was, frankly, disgusting. We did complain, saying that the sauce was just a tomatoey slop with practically no discernible meat whatsoever. More Bolognese sauce was brought, but it was just the same. ASK is supposed to be a genuine Italian restaurant, and the least you can expect is a genuine Bolognese sauce, but this was so poor, I would never have served it to myself and certainly not any friends at home, never mind have the gall to serve it in a restaurant.
It has put us off dining at ASK again - why should we give our hard-earned money for crap that we can cook infinitely better at home. It's not good enough, so don't bother trying and wasting your money. Delicious, meaty Bolognese sauce is very, very easy to make and should be the basis of a pasta dish, especially in a so-called Italian restaurant.
I complained direct to ASK but thought I would have a look at the reviews on TripAdvisor to see if we were the only ones, but it's hard to find a good one! ASK management should really take a long hard look at these reviews and act accordingly. Employing some chefs who can cook would be a start, never mind changing all the decor - a restaurant lives and dies by the quality of its food - and ASK deserves to die on this and others' experiences.