“Over populated park with small amount of staff and facilities.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Skegness
Southview Leisure Park - Park Resorts
Ripley
“Over populated park with small amount of staff and facilities.”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Arrived at park and first impression was very good, nice lakes and hotel. Reception although very slow we're polite and to be honest they were the only ones that were during our stay Once we got to our " super pitch" we found it very tight to manoeuvre the car, the block pavers were all loose and the grass had large holes in it which were an easy way to have a broken ankle if not careful. The noise at night was horrific with parties and the security although patrolling did very little about it. The cleaning staff at the toilet block shut the gents toilet every morning around 8am to clean up, which left gents with 2 toilets and 2 showers which frankly was unacceptable and the lady cleaning the gents was very rude towards me and I was told I should either come earlier or later the choice was mine. I continued to use my caravan toilet and shower for the rest of the week. The pool WELL that was over populated and serious health and safety risk, there were plasters and hair floating around, kids jumping off the side and you could feel grit on the floor it was truly awfull. The showbar was again overpopulated and although there was at least 30 people in there before they opened the staff refused to serve anyone and it was very expensive. Please people if you are looking for a stress free holiday and something for the kids to enjoy then this is not the place for you, although there are plenty of activities advertised it is very difficult to find them and when you did they were yes you've guessed it OVERPOPULATED. Left two days early and certainly wont be returning. #dissapointed .

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Rackster0777
Park R, General Manager at Southview Leisure Park - Park Resorts, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us at Southview. I am really sorry to hear that we were unable to meet your expectations. The touring area is maintained and regularly checked by our housekeeping and maintenance team. I will discuss your feedback with the maintenance manager.

We encourage our guests to contact reception with any issues preventing them from having an enjoyable stay with us so that we can resolve them swiftly, I am sorry that this may not have happened in your case. I am sorry that you felt that the noise level was horrific, as a busy holiday park we do our best to manage the noise in the evenings and as you mention the security team regularly patrol the park and specifically monitor the sound levels, if our security team are notified of any antisocial incidents then they will ensure they are dealt with and inform you of any action taken.

I will certainly discuss your comments regarding the cleaning operation of the shower blocks and your interaction with the cleaner. Rudeness isn’t acceptable and as you will see from previous reviews, it is a rare occurrence.

I can assure you that the swimming pool complies with all health and safety regulations and the Sports and Leisure Manager, along with a fully qualified lifeguard team, manage the bathing loads ensuring that we remain safely within our pool maximum. I am sorry that you noticed hair and a plaster in the pool, this again is a rarity and can occasionally happen when the pool is being used by such a high number of guests, however we operate to strict daily cleaning routines which ensure that the pool is clean throughout the day, in such instances it is appreciated if guests let the lifeguard know so that they can be removed.

I am really disappointed that you felt the Showbar was overpopulated and that you found the prices to be expensive. We have set operating times to ensure that the Showbar is stocked, staffed and set up to avoid causing dissatisfaction to our guests.

Once again, I am saddened to hear that you didn’t enjoy your holiday with us at Southview but I appreciate the time you have taken to write your review.

01754 896 001

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Been to this park for the last four years found all areas and facilities including staff to be excellent. The grounds are kept beautiful and clean, credit to the grounds person, food is a very good standard and prices are in line with other resorts. Entertainment is good and varied for different age ranges. Caravans are presented to a high standard we have never had any issues with them, or the surrounding area. We especially enjoy seeing the wildlife on this park and people should bear in mind that the swans on this park are WILDlife clue in the name folks, they are not part of the entertainment, leave them alone and they will leave you alone. We also use Haven sites but find that you pay more with them for the same level of service and experience as you get at Southview.
Overall we have never had any complaints and would recommend Southview to everyone no matter what their age.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Donna A
Thank you so much for such a great review. It always means a lot when we receive reviews from guests that have stayed with us in the past. I am so pleased that we were able to provide you with another great holiday experience.

I am specifically pleased that you found the staff to be excellent, as they are very committed to creating amazing memories for all our guests. It is wonderful to hear that you found the park to be beautiful and clean, something we take great pride in.

I agree that the entertainment is really good, with a variety of activities and shows for both adults and children, there really is something for everyone. I am glad that you have never had any issues with your caravans, again we do all we can to make sure that you find them in great condition so that you can concentrate on having a great time.

The wildlife on the park is beautiful and as you quite rightly point out the animals aren’t on the park for entertainment, however the ducks love to see our guests and on many occasions visit the caravans.

Thank you for your comments regarding the great value we offer, which I assure you is very much appreciated. Thank you again for such a fantastic review and I hope to welcome you back again next year, if not sooner!

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This is the second time I've stopped at Southview had a fabulous time, caravan spotless and loved being on the vintage again. Loved the new shop and again staff very helpful and friendly. Went to the resturant and had breakfast cannot complain food excellent and again staff very polite, didn't have to wait to long for food an lovely an hot. Couldn't of asked for better weather complex suited my daughter and myselfs needs.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank sleds20
Thank you for taking the time to review your holiday with us at Southview. I am delighted to hear that you and your daughter enjoyed your stay with us. It is great that you loved the location of the caravan and you benefited from the newly extended NISA convenience store.

I am especially pleased to hear that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful. I appreciate your comments regarding the food and the service in the restaurant, I am sure that the complex manager will be just as delighted as I am to hear of your experience.

Thanks again for your review and I hope that we can welcome you and your daughter back again soon.

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Visited mon - fri 28th July to 1st August. Have to agree with donna m on her review but I'll add a little.

First impressions.
Park and hotel look great, very tidy lakes either side of entrance/exit. Hotel looks nice.

Check in.
Check was very easy and staff were helpful.

Caravan.

Having booked last minute i wasn't expecting much but we were upgraded at check in which was nice. We were in vintage and most caravans looked very nice. Ours looked ok too. Inside was basic but enough for a family of 5. On further inspection i noticed the kitchen area wasnt clean. Cereal all in cupboard area, hairs on drainer, cheese left on grill along with crumbs. Opened the fridge and under the door was dirty. Seats were quite worn but everything else was ok.

The entertainment area.

The entrance was manned by security on an evening who asked for passes(unmanned during daytime). The arcade was ok although very warm. The bar area was ok but the seating area was way too small for a park with 1200 caravans. Next to no dance floor for kids.

Pool area, restaurant and shop.

Pool was clean but way too small, at various points it had to be temporarily closed due to the amount of people in it which led to a lot of frustration with people. Changing rooms were clean but very hot and cramped. The water slide was good but the queues were sometimes long. Plenty of lifeguards at all times. I dont agree with the pool closures for activities, surely there has to be a better way of doing this.
We visited the restaurant once, menu was average, tables were quite dirty although it was quite busy. Food quality was average at best. The pie i ordered looked like a frozen pie, the meal size was terrible, kids meals were ok though. I was disappointed overall with the restaurant.
The shop was adequate but a little pricey (we used tesco in skegness).

Park location

The park is 2 miles away from skegness shops and beach. Its a long walk so we used the car and paid for parking.

Other facilities

Theres a 9hole golf course which looked ok from the first tee. It's £7.50 if your on site. Also there is two fishing lakes, these are chargeable too but they are full of good sized carp. There are 2 park areas which are clean and a recreation area.

Problems

For the whole break we had kids playing football all around our caravan, normally this wouldn't both me but when its hitting your window constantly, knocking your washing over and hitting your car, then it becomes annoying. The park is huge but in my opinion the facilities nowhere near ate suitable for the amount of people. The entertainment is different for everyone, we personally thought it was basic but others enjoyed. The bingo was poor, playing for good prizes with a very slim chance of winning due to the way its played. The pirate show was terrible, too much talking and nothing to keep them interested. Any shows like that you need to get in before 6.30 or you will not get a seat. We arrived at 6.55 and it was full.

Summary

The park is ok. Its very clean and secure. Facilities are inadequate for size of park. Location is a bit out of the way. Food in restaurant was average and slightly overpriced. I'm unsure if I'd return in peak times. If you want a quiet break were you dont really use the facilities this might be ok if your away from the entertainment area.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mandy B
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. I am really pleased that you found the entrance to park, the surrounding area and the lakes to be clean and well maintained as well as finding the check-in process easy.

I am sorry to hear that your caravan hadn’t been cleaned to the standard we expect. I will ensure that your feedback is passed on to the housekeeping manager. The Lakeview Showbar was extended 2 years ago as a result of guest feedback, however with an improved entertainment programme and popular family activities, it can become very busy in the evenings. I am continually looking at future improvements as our park becomes more desired with guests and owners and I will certainly review the size and the layout of the Showbar and the dance floor for future improvement.

Thank you for your comments regarding the swimming pool and changing area. I understand that it can be frustrating when you are unable to use the facilities, unfortunately our water fun activities are very popular and require both the space and more attention from our lifeguard team. We do publish the activity schedule which can be found in our welcome pack to advise our guests of the pool schedule. We have also extended the swimming pool opening hours for this season.

I am really sorry to hear of your disappointment with the Boathouse restaurant. I will discuss your feedback regarding the cleanliness and the portion size with the complex manager, who I am certain will share your disappointment.

It is really good to hear that you enjoyed the golf course and fishing lakes, which we do our very best to maintain and keep topped up for our guests to enjoy.

We try to encourage our guests to report any specific disturbances which impact their enjoyment and whilst we are a family holiday park, our security team are on hand to politely resolve any such issues. I am sorry that this impacted your time with us.

As you quite rightly state, entertainment is subjective and whilst I can appreciate it wasn’t to your taste, many of our guests benefit from enjoying what we offer. I appreciate your opinion and your feedback is vitally important to us as we act on what our guests comment on and we regularly review future extensions, park development and facility improvements.

Thank you again for your review and I hope that you will revisit us in the future to review our improvements.

Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

First time staying here and all I can say is wow the grounds are stunning and there is plenty to do on site, caravan was as stated and very clean loved every minute and did not want to leave on dropping keys back we have rebooked and are going back 12 th september in a gold plus can't wait

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed a great break with us and that we were able to exceed your expectations. I am especially pleased to hear that you have rebooked to stay with us in September. I look forward to welcoming you back again then.

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a 4night stay here.
We privately rented an 8berth caravan which was excellent value as a last minute cancellation.
CARAVAN was perfect for us. Would of taken it up with the owner if we had any issues. LOCATION was "The Vintage" area which wasn't too far from the entertainment. Short walk to the leisure complex and shop. Lots of space around for the kids to run outside.
THE LAKES/WILDLIFE loads of ducks, swans and geese. Apparently male swan gets aggressive. Only 1 small sign upon exit explaining this! We seen this sign too late but luckily he left us alone.
SWIMMING POOL was basic! Very basic. Not really fun for families.
CHANGING AREA was dirty, very hot and cramped!
THE GYM not as it appears on the brochure.!!
THE STAFF were all pleasant, helpful,friendly. Check in was easy. Entertainment staff and bar staff work extremely hard through the night.
ENTERTAINMENT AREA....
Dance floor non existent!!(The smallest in the world!) bottled drinks extortionately priced! Not enough seating for families, very cramped, room small! fast food area. Not very fast!!

HOWEVER the entertainment on the Wednesday and Thursday night was fantastic. Rainbow and The Pirate Show. We got there very early and for both shows had great seats. (Advised by the caravan owner that it gets extremely busy.)

Would recommend that This park reviewed it's pass policy. We paid a little under £40 for 2 adults, 1 child and under5s free. Which is not a huge amount BUT not once were we asked to produce and show these anywhere on site. Great if your a ticket dodger and not honest like us.
RESTAURANT.. Can't comment because we didn't eat here. Tend to cater a lot for ourselves whilst away. We did have a quick nosey. Looked small but clean. Menu reasonable.
PLAY PARKS outside were well maintained and our kids enjoyed playing on them.
Would love to see a softplay inside. Luckily our week was scorching but can imagine pretty boring if it was raining!

SKEGNESS is a 10minute drive (to the main areas) it's excellent for families. Tacky but made our kids happy. Beach is clean, huge and we had fantastic weather. Plenty of food choice, icecreams are pence and they have a fab splash pool at the bottom end of the beach in between both car parks. Our kids loved it. Free too!!

We visited Butlins on our last day. Excellent! Would recommend anyone to do this.
Monday and Friday are change over days and Butlins have £5 off per person. Saved us some money.

Overall our holiday experience was good. This site was a little quiet for us. We are Haven lovers at heart and can't beat their seaside squad and took a chance with park resorts.
We would definitely return to Skegness for a few days but possibly not on this site.
It's Great for fishing and it's a flat site so great for pushchair/wheelchairs. Depends on what your looking for whilst on your holidays. To us it felt like it needs "something else."

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Donna M
Thank you for your review and I appreciate the time you have taken to provide some great feedback. It is great that the accommodation met your needs as many of our owners take advantage of owning a holiday home at Southview and privately let them out. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed the location of the caravan and that you found the park to be well maintained and spacious.

The swans can be temperamental occasionally, and the signage is there to advise our guests to be careful. However our geese and ducks are very welcoming and enjoy the attention they receive from most of our guests.

I am sorry that you found the pool to be basic, there are several activities which we run for families of all ages such as Pirate Rafting, Water Walkers, Aqua Jets and Wipe-out which have proven to be really popular this year. A significant extension was added to the pool two years ago which saw the addition of a large water slide, however I appreciate your comments and again I am sorry we were unable to meet your family’s expectations. I am disappointed to hear that you found the changing rooms to be dirty, I will share your comments with the Sports and Leisure Manager as the changing area is deep cleaned at the start and end to each day and our lifeguard team regularly check and clean the changing rooms throughout the day. I am currently reviewing improvements to the changing facilities in the future as a direct result of guest feedback.

I am sorry that you didn’t find the gym to appear as it does in the brochure, I can share with you that the equipment in the gym is due to be upgraded at the end of the year for all of our guests to enjoy.

I am so pleased to hear that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful and that you experienced an easy check-in process, as many of our guests do.

I really appreciate your feedback regarding our Showbar and entertainment programme. The Lakeview Showbar was extended 2 years ago as a result of guest feedback, however with an improved entertainment programme and popular family activities, it can become very busy in the evenings. I am continually looking at future improvements as our park becomes more popular with guests and owners and I will certainly review the size of the Showbar for future improvement.

I will share your comments regarding the speed of the service in our food court during our busy periods with the complex manager. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the Pirate Show and Rainbow, who appear in many of our parks and are proving to be very popular with our guests.

Thank you for your comments around the entertainment pass checks when using the Showbar. The security team do conduct intermittent checks throughout the evening, and I would hate for people to think that the Showbar is easily accessible so I will discuss your comments with the security manager.

I am glad to hear that your family enjoyed the outdoor play areas and that you found them to be well maintained.

It’s great that you enjoyed your visit to the other attractions in Skegness, however I am really sorry to hear that you found the site too small for you and that you wouldn’t consider returning to us. We are always looking at areas for future improvement and I hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future. Thanks again for taking the time to review your break with us.

Washington, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We had two young children with us and they put us directly in the path to the Leisure Centre and directly next to the playpark which was inhabited by youngsters till the early hours of the morning making a horrendous noise. The noise was horrendous all the time, with music blasting from the swimming pool. It should be taken more into consideration the age of the children you have as it would be an okay location if you had teenagers who stayed awake later but not for little children who need sleep or else they are cranky, as well as us being cranky because the kids did not get to sleep till well past midnight because of the noise. The toilet facilities were a long way from the pitch as well, again a problem with younger children. We also never got to experience the swimming pool because whenever we did we were told activities were taking place and the pool was closed to the public!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank JoHallford
Thank you for your review. I am really sorry to hear of your disappointment with your recent stay at Southview. I apologise that you weren’t happy with the location of your pitch, we do our best to allocate pitches according to our guests’ requirements, and we encourage our guests to contact our reception team if they have any issues with the pitch. Where possible, we would try to reallocate you.

Our dedicated touring area is located in the centre of the park to ensure that our touring guests are able to enjoy the facilities which we have to offer, and in most cases I receive very positive feedback regarding the positioning of the area. However, I am really sorry that this wasn’t the situation for your family.

It is also worth mentioning that we have an experienced security team who are on the park 24 hours a day, as advised in your welcome pack, who are here to support you and manage any instances of anti-social behaviour such as loud noise.

I will share your comments regarding the noise from the swimming pool with the Sports and Leisure Manager, which we will review with an aim to understand and improve if required. I am sorry to hear that you weren’t able to use the swimming facilities, which are open to our guests to use throughout the daytime, however we do run some activities during the day which require booking onto and mean that we have to close the pool for general swimming. The pool operating times and information of the activities are detailed in the welcome pack issued to all our guests.

Once again I am sorry that you weren’t able to enjoy your holiday and thank you for taking the time to review your stay.