“I recommend this guest house” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Woodthorpe
Ranked #50 of 97 Skegness B&B and Inns
Rushden, United Kingdom
“I recommend this guest house”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

This is a great place to stay in Skeg on South Parade the quiet end booked a twin room with a sea view across the bowling green opted not to pay for breakfast but after reading other reviews I wish I had .Room was clean with everything I needed tea/coffee making facilities tv shower & complimentary shampoo & shower gel , comfortable beds .
Third time of been & will be going back again & again , have recommended woodthorpe to my friends & family & would recommend to anybody who likes a warm friendly welcome & hassle free stay in Skeg

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
leicester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

I booked and then read the reviews, but I cant see what all the fuss and complaints were about, as far as I was concerned it is one of the better B&B's in Skeg on the front and Ive stayed in quite a few over the years. Short walk to the beach and main attractions (approx. 5-10mins to Theatre). Small amount of parking on site, with plenty of street parking for free after 30th September. I don't think its odd they require to know what time you may arrive, if it can be 12 noon to 12 midnight they may be hanging around some time if they need to go out, shop etc so whats the issue with saying a rough time of when youd like to check your stuff in?
Arrived and was given the keys by Amanda (who isn't odd!) she explained re the door, which people obviously think you need to lift the handle up to shut it, but this locks it for other guests, shown to my room. I booked a small single, it had everything I needed, tea/coffee making, table and chair, TV, sink, toilet and shower, comfy bed with good duvet and pillows. Sea View.......well sand view who knows where the sea got to!
The bedroom and bathroom were clean, fresh shampoo and shower gel provided, iron and hairdryer available too. Oscar the dog was very friendly, tummy rubs before going back upstairs (Oscar not me). No problems sleeping, no noise from guests or the hotel and at a quiet end of Skeg Coast too. Breakfast was plentiful, help yourself Cereal, fruit, Yoghurt, Toast etc Tea and Coffee and a Full English comprising, Bacon, Sausage, Egg, Tomato, Beans, Fried Bread, Hash Browns and Black Pudding, well worth paying for the breakfast.
Only teeny weeny negative was my kettle........needs new ones......I was only there for one night and it was barely long enough for the kettle to boil once!! :-)
All-in-All a lovely guest house, good food, good position, nice owners, comfy clean room at a good price. If I go to Skeg again, I will stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Nottingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

I placed a booking with book.com. Manager rung me up from Hotel to finalise details as I hadn't let them know what time I was going to arrive. She was really rude I asked her not to please not talk to me like that. Was then told to [--] off they don't need my money.This was before I ever arrived. Guess what I cancelled and book. Com got my money back.

Stayed October 2013
4 Thank Matthew8482
kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

Great place to stay.We opted to pay for breakfast and where not disappointed well worth the money and lots of choice.Amanda explained the locking and unlocking of the door which we thought thats simple until someone that obviously that hadnt listened lifted the handle and locked several guests in.Short walk to all main attractions.Would definitely stay again.Only gave 4 as hotel needs a bit of TLC but this is being addressed. Thanks again for great weekend.

Room Tip: Seaview and pay extra for breakfast
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Brimington, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

I met up with my mother upon her arrival in Skegness who was staying at this guesthouse for one night, in order to help her with her bags etc. up to her room. The landlady's manner was quite abrupt and explained that it is a guesthouse, not a hotel, it was her home, and that people's guests were not allowed on to the premises. I explained that I only wanted to visit for 5/10 minutes but then she ordered us outside saying she felt uncomfortable. I felt offended at this. I understand that this is her home, but i feel that some flexibility is needed in order to portray a more homely and friendly atmosphere.
I visit Skegness a lot and enjoy trying out different hotels, but this is one that I shall not stay in unfortunately due to the negative manner of the landlady.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank DerbyshireLorna
derbyshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

Just had a one night stay in the Woodthorpe. I arrived at the time I said, laden with a lot of heavy bags. My daughters had arrived with me to help carry my bags to my room. The landlady said 'AND ALL THESE PEOPLE?????' .I explained that my daughter's were here to help with my luggage. There were two more guests behind me, who then went upstairs. I was abruptly informed by the landlady that it was her home, her rules, and nobody is allowed on the premises unless staying at the Woodthorpe. This is fair enough, but she then ordered them out, saying "i don't feel comfortable, please leave"She then showed me to my room, on the third floor, with no help with all my luggage. She explained the basics, like keep the noise down etc., then explained that if i lost my key, i would have to pay a very hefty fine.
Overall, I felt very uncomfortable, and this spoilt what was otherwise a great trip.

Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank julieDerbyshire
nottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

just spent 3 nights at the woodthorpe,if you want a place to stay where you can feel comforble and at ease with no worries come and stay at the woodthorpe ,amanda the landlady made us very welcome and nothing was too much trouble and you wont get a better breakfast anywhere all the trimmings ,set us up for the day.rooms are spotless, wont look any where else to stay.thanks amanda for making our holiday guesthouse near the sea front across the road from the bowling green,nice and quiet at night time :) :) :)

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple