“Grosvenor Hotel. Skegness”

Ranked #26 of 93 Skegness B&B and Inns
Chester, United Kingdom
“Grosvenor Hotel. Skegness”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Having read reports on trip adviser, I wasn't looking forward to my visit, however, we were pleasantly surprised to find that we had been allocated a large sea view room .The hotel was clean the staff helpful. And the food I would say was average, although the Calvary breakfasts were very good. We were on a dancing holiday run by I.O.W.tours, and the dance tutorsLinda and Peter Howard were excellent and very friendly.Skegness is a very clean resort and the illuminations an added bonus. The Hotel is being sold and I do hope the new owners renovate this once lovely hotel back to its former glory. Sadly the one complaint our party found was that the hotel was rather cold. I would consider returning. We travelled to Skegness in November 2013

Room Tip: We recommend. Room 208 Sea view room
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank SHKIRA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Atyrau
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I paid £114 for a room and breakfast for me and 2 teenagers. On arrival I was told that breakfast started at 8 am. I informed them that we had to leave earlier than that and the response I got was "Oh." There was no offer of a cold breakfast alternative, or any advice on where to get breakfast in Skegness at that time in the morning - nothing.
The room was tiny - just enough room for a small double bed and a single. The double bed mattress was a cheap springy one and we continually rolled into the middle of it, waking one another up.
The furniture was cheap. One handle came off in my hand. The place beside the tea tray was scuffed badly. In the shower, the water came out in a trickle and the toilet wouldn't flush properly. It looked like this hotel had been in a very poor state and had been semi-refurbished with paint and new carpet but the original fixtures and fittings had been retained.
The cabaret continued in the bar until quite late and it prevented us from sleeping due to poor noise insulation. (We were on the second floor.)
On leaving at 7.10 the next morning, I tried to hand the key into reception. Reception is in the bar area but the bar was locked. I tried looking for staff but there was no one to be found. I then called the hotel but no one answered the phone. Finally, I hid the key near the front door and had to call them later to tell them where they could find it.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank mimi1974
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Booked very last minute and ended up with a single room for two adults but that was all that was left so we were happy with that.
Very large hotel, dated but clean. Our single room was actually quite a good size as was the bathroom.

We were given a key to open the outside door if we were going to be back late, which we were and the key didn't work! Luckily for us someone eventually left the hotel and we managed to get in.

Before check out we had a knock on the door by a member of staff asking us questions about how we paid, what time we checked in and commented on how we shouldn't have been allowed to stay in our single room together?! Very odd.

Overall, it's a great location and its clean. We were happy for the 40 quid we paid.

It's not luxury but it does the job.
The hotel has huge potential to be something fantastic.

• Stayed August 2013
coventry
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Very large rooms we had a double and single in our room. , right in the middle of skegness. The breakfast was very good. the place has a lift very handy if you have large cases. only down side you need to get outside early for a parking space, but this is not the hotels fault. will be going back if were up there again.

Room Tip: ask for sea view
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Boston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Checked in and the bar had £2 a pint on, BONUS,!!!!
We were in room 210 and the room was awfull. The carpet was vile and furniture old and chipped. Didn't realised they still made the t.v's they had in this room.
Bathroom had shower only and was small.
The bed was awfull. Neither me or my husband got any sleep as room was unbearably hot even through heating in room was off.

Room Tip: Only stay here if you are going to be tipsy enough to forget where u r
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Helen R
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Stayed here for a stock car racing meeting at Skegness Stadium last year. Hotel was fine, parking on the other hand is a nightmare, but then again I think it is at any of these sea front hotels. Stayed one night, good nights sleep, would stay here again. Good value, good breakfast! Thanks!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Anstruther, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Two of us had bed and breakfast on 13/7/13.

The hotel is located on the sea front opposite the pier. It was easy to find but parking was a bit more of a challenge,having to drive around the nearby streets to find a space. There is a pay and display car park nearby which we were going to use as a last resort. It would appear to be a good location near the beach and arcades, and handy for McDonalds just opposite, there are numerous pubs and restaurants within a short walk. However we were in Skegness for our annual trip to the stock car stadium a short drive away so didn't really sample the town itself.

A twin room had been booked online and we checked in about 4pm. We were given a room key and a front door key in case we were late. The room was on the second floor along a narrow corridor, there is a lift. The room itself was small but clean and comfortable, with 2 single beds, an en-suite bathroom with a small shower, 2 large towels and 2 face towels, tea making facilities and a small plasma TV. I did a search on my phone for wi-fi and did find it but I needed a pass word, as this was in the wee small hours I didn't bother. The only down side to the room was very thin walls with very little sound insulation. We were lucky having quiet neighbours except when they had a loud discussion at 7am.

The hotel seems to have a busy cabaret in the bar with shows on several nights a week, although when we returned about midnight we had just missed a Tom Jones tribute act.

In the morning we had a self serve hot buffet breakfast with friendly staff on hand to guide us.

To sum up the Grosvenor Hotel I would say it is well located for all that Skegness provides, the rooms are clean and comfortable and the staff are friendly. We would stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends