“worn out and poor service”

Grosvenor Hotel Skegness
Ranked #26 of 92 Skegness B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Stayed here for two nights for a wedding. Rooms are shabby and in need of updating. Staff were unhelpful and had a take or leave it attitude. The food was fatty and cheap. We would not recommend it to anybody

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bridget008
Brenda H, Manager at Grosvenor Hotel Skegness, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

I am very sorry to hear that you have had a bad experience while staying here at The Grosvenor. I would be interested to know when roughly you stayed so that I can look into the matter further. We are now under new management and are keen to rectify any problems brought to our attention. Thank you

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Having read reports on trip adviser, I wasn't looking forward to my visit, however, we were pleasantly surprised to find that we had been allocated a large sea view room .The hotel was clean the staff helpful. And the food I would say was average, although the Calvary breakfasts were very good. We were on a dancing holiday run by I.O.W.tours, and the dance tutorsLinda and Peter Howard were excellent and very friendly.Skegness is a very clean resort and the illuminations an added bonus. The Hotel is being sold and I do hope the new owners renovate this once lovely hotel back to its former glory. Sadly the one complaint our party found was that the hotel was rather cold. I would consider returning. We travelled to Skegness in November 2013

Room Tip: We recommend. Room 208 Sea view room
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank SHKIRA
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I paid £114 for a room and breakfast for me and 2 teenagers. On arrival I was told that breakfast started at 8 am. I informed them that we had to leave earlier than that and the response I got was "Oh." There was no offer of a cold breakfast alternative, or any advice on where to get breakfast in Skegness at that time in the morning - nothing.
The room was tiny - just enough room for a small double bed and a single. The double bed mattress was a cheap springy one and we continually rolled into the middle of it, waking one another up.
The furniture was cheap. One handle came off in my hand. The place beside the tea tray was scuffed badly. In the shower, the water came out in a trickle and the toilet wouldn't flush properly. It looked like this hotel had been in a very poor state and had been semi-refurbished with paint and new carpet but the original fixtures and fittings had been retained.
The cabaret continued in the bar until quite late and it prevented us from sleeping due to poor noise insulation. (We were on the second floor.)
On leaving at 7.10 the next morning, I tried to hand the key into reception. Reception is in the bar area but the bar was locked. I tried looking for staff but there was no one to be found. I then called the hotel but no one answered the phone. Finally, I hid the key near the front door and had to call them later to tell them where they could find it.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank mimi1974
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Booked very last minute and ended up with a single room for two adults but that was all that was left so we were happy with that.
Very large hotel, dated but clean. Our single room was actually quite a good size as was the bathroom.

We were given a key to open the outside door if we were going to be back late, which we were and the key didn't work! Luckily for us someone eventually left the hotel and we managed to get in.

Before check out we had a knock on the door by a member of staff asking us questions about how we paid, what time we checked in and commented on how we shouldn't have been allowed to stay in our single room together?! Very odd.

Overall, it's a great location and its clean. We were happy for the 40 quid we paid.

It's not luxury but it does the job.
The hotel has huge potential to be something fantastic.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Very large rooms we had a double and single in our room. , right in the middle of skegness. The breakfast was very good. the place has a lift very handy if you have large cases. only down side you need to get outside early for a parking space, but this is not the hotels fault. will be going back if were up there again.

Room Tip: ask for sea view
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Checked in and the bar had £2 a pint on, BONUS,!!!!
We were in room 210 and the room was awfull. The carpet was vile and furniture old and chipped. Didn't realised they still made the t.v's they had in this room.
Bathroom had shower only and was small.
The bed was awfull. Neither me or my husband got any sleep as room was unbearably hot even through heating in room was off.

Room Tip: Only stay here if you are going to be tipsy enough to forget where u r
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helen R
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Stayed here for a stock car racing meeting at Skegness Stadium last year. Hotel was fine, parking on the other hand is a nightmare, but then again I think it is at any of these sea front hotels. Stayed one night, good nights sleep, would stay here again. Good value, good breakfast! Thanks!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends