“A lovely Easter week”

Thurso, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A lovely Easter week”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We had a lovely week at Willow Farm. The weather for the time of year was brilliant and the children just loved being with all the animals and learning not just about the ponies but about the farm animals, goats and chickens, rabbits and guinea pigs too.
They made friends with another girl staying there and have already made plans to come back again next year,

Visited April 2014
2 Thank wendy t

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Awful!”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My daughter came here for a riding weekend holiday. This was her first time away from home. I was a little taken back when I made the initial enquiry how unfriendly the owner sounded, but on reading the holiday literature on website i told myself everyone has 'off days' and convinced my self it would be alright as my daughter really wanted to go. On arrival we was running late due to a major accident on the main route which caused a road to close. When we eventually arrived I was greeted by a voice that said. 'Oh dear she's missed tea' no one introduced themselves, as Willow Farm Riding Holidays claims to be all inclusive holiday I didn't think it would be too much trouble for someone to make her a snack later as she hadn't eaten, but I was annoyed I had to ask. The answer I got back was." I guess we can re-heat her jacket potato"
The accommodation....
On the website it claims no one roughs it and camps there they sleep in the family home and treated like part as the family. When I saw the bedroom, kitchen, bathroom. I was horrified! It would have been a lot cleaner to have slept in the stables with the ponies. By this point I was extremely worried about leaving my daughter the lady that never introduced herself said I could email her and she will get the chance to email back. We later did email a letter but this email was not passed onto her we also phoned several times with no answer and left a message but no one bothered to call us back to let me know how my daughter was.
Finally Monday arrived and my husband and I was extremely anxious. It was also Show Day we was told she would be entered. When we arrived our daughter was pleased to see us. When we asked her how it was she said they are a bit unfriendly and the food portion were a bit small. One of her older room mates had made a lot of unkind comments to her and kept her awake at night but amazingly she did want to stay for the show. I asked my daughter where is the owner. She pointed to a lady sat in a wheelchair who did not bother to speak to us. The instructor lady I first met even after I had said to her "I don't know your name" still didn't offer it to me. We was given a list of suggested items to bring. I did supply most things on the list except gloves it did say on the list they could borrow what we didn't bring. My daughter complained her hands had been freezing and was later marked down in the show for not having a pair. The Owner did ask my daughter why she didn't bring her show jacket. (We do have one of these but we didn't bring it because it wasn't on the list and the lady with no name said they can supply them. On show day we had to ask for help on a few occasions getting the pony tacked up right. We did receive help after asking for it several times from a slightly older child who seemed stressed with her own responsibilities of taking part in the show.There was no organisation or any type of care or concern for our daughter the owner had made up a seating area for riders that was taking part in the show that day and seemed to be pr occupied selling her cakes and sandwiches. Too occupied to come over and introduce herself and say how our daughter had got on.

The only positive thing I have to say about the place is that her allocated pony was lovely and our daughter did get attached to her.

I was very surprised to see Gold and Silver tourism awards on her kitchen wall. She must have cleaned up the day they came and been friendly.

Needless to say we won't be back it would send a shudder down my spine to even be within 10 miles of the place, and my advise to anyone planning on letting their child stay on a riding holiday there would be to either just not bother or to visit the place first and try and meet the people running it.

Visited May 2014
12 Thank Groveychic
Todmorden, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“horrendous experience”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

my daughter came here age 10 nearly two years ago, she was desperatley unhappy. she didnt feel cat all comfortable speaking to me on the phone as it was not encouraged. when i enquired how she was doing we were told fine!!
she certainly did not experience the warm family caring atmosphere they talk about. we did email them and state we were unhappy but got no response whatsoever.

Visited May 2013
3 Thank Cathy H
Beckenham, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Dog Show at Willow Farm”
Reviewed 10 August 2013

What a lovely day I had yesterday, taking part in a fun dog show at Willow Farm. It's amazing to see what this little family-run place is capable of organising. Loads of visitors, friendly dogs, the resident riding holiday kids taking an active part and cheering everyone on. The ponies took a back seat for once getting ready for today's rides. Will be looking out for next year's date!

Visited August 2013
2 Thank HHenrike
Tarporley, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Excellent Excellent”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

My daughter missed her normal pony club this week so we booked a lesson for her at Willow Farm , excellent teacher , she Rode Townie a dressage pony , with a lovely temperament, every one was nice and kind , and Cadence had a great hour lesson followed by Pony Club activities afterwards for another hour Highly recommend

Visited July 2013