“Good Value”

North Shore Hotel and Golf Club
Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Skegness
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We stayed here 22nd July on a golf break for £85 each DBB and two rounds of golf and the hotel package was very good value. Our room was not large but very bright and airy. The only downside was that there was a party on at the hotel and people seemed to wait just below our room for their lifts and it was a bit noisy until about 12.30am. Would probably only be a problem at weekends though. The food was excellent and all the staff were friendly. As far as the golf course is concerned it is a mixture of links and parkland and is certainly a challenge on some holes, especially in the wind. There is a walk through to the beach and the view is awesome! Overall hotel, golf and weather all good. Would recommend and will visit again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sharon W
Mark_McGrath, General Manager at North Shore Hotel and Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2012

Thank you for your comments. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

We've seen the hotel advertised during our stays in Skegness but have never eaten here.
Called midweek on speck for a bar meal and the main course was hot, tasty and good value, however the desserts were poor ('bought in' pastry case filled with warm tinned cherries & a 'bought in' honeycomb gateau that had no taste). Bar staff & service were fine.

We decided to chance a booking for Sunday lunch on 1st July in the restaurant.

The restaurante looked lovely with clean,starched table linen & sparkly glasses.
Our waitress was very friendly & explained the carvery menu deals and the waiter did not batter an eyelid when we said we'd just like tap water to drink, in fact he offered ice & lemon with it.

Usual carvery set up of 3 joints sliced & served by the chef & help yourself to veg.
We had pork and turkey which were well cooked but sliced very thick (next time we'll ask for thinner slices !).
Would have been better if yorkies were homemade as they are like crispbreads but that's being a bit picky !
Veg - good selection and well cooked (not limp and soggy)

All the plates were returned empty to the kitchen - a good sign

Dessert this time was homemade, the apple pie & icecream and were delicious and shows what a good chef can do.

Staff and customer service was fab

We had 2 courses followed by coffee & mints in the lounge for £9.95 each which is fantastic value and we'll be back !
( there's not many cafes/restaurantes that you can say that about in Skeg)

Well done North Shore and I'm told the breakfasts are good too, just might get to sample one of those after a morning walk along the prom !!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank StuandCaf
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Thank you for your review. I have passed your comments onto our catering department. I am pleased you enjoyed your meals with us, and indeed breakfast is very good, so well worth the visit.

I look forward to seeing you again at teh BEST WESTERN North Shore Hotel.

Reviewed 7 July 2012

This is a friendly hotel and good value for money. You get what you pay for really. It served its purpose for Dad and I. Just a basic stay, clean and efficient. Thought the breakfast buffet was poor though. Two slices of cheese, 4 slices of ham and 6 basic supermarket brand yogurts . Seriously! They do serve a full breakfast as well though so didn't complain.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank girlabouttown31
Management response:Responded 8 July 2012

Thank you for your comments. I am pleased that your stay met your expectations. I have passed your comments about the breakfast buffet items onto our restaurant. However I do believe that you may have been to the buffet as it was being topped up. Also you missed off the large selection of cereals, fruit juices, fresh fruit and bowls of orange segments and fresh prunes.

We do hope to see you again at the BEST WESTERN North Shore Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 1 July 2012

Just home from a stock car racing weekend in Skegness. I checked in a little earlier than the hotel advised because I needed to drop off my bag and get to the stadium. The person on the desk accommodated my check in but would not allow me to get to my room until after 15.00. The room was comfortable enough but the water pressure in the shower could have been better. When checking out this morning, I mentioned to the receptionist that I would like to come back in September but believed the hotel to be full? She could have at least asked what the dates were and checked the reservations database. I would have booked there and then but maybe she did not want my business.

Room Tip: Don't check in early as you won't get your room.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

Thank you for your comments. We are currently looking at the issue with the water pressure and hope to have this rectified soon. My reservation staff were under the impression you mentioned the first week of September to stay, which we are currently fully booked for the whole week, but we should have been more specific when asking. This issue has been sorted.

i hope you enjoyed the Stock Car Racing and we would very much like to see you again.

Reviewed 29 June 2012

we went to a wedding dinner here on the 9th of july and it was fantastic faultless great food great service the staff were charming and welcoming we could not fault this hotel at all and would defiantly recommend this hotel to anybody :)

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
William H, General Manager at North Shore Hotel and Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Thank you for your lovely review, and was pleased you had an
enjoyable stay. I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 29 June 2012

I personally think that the staff were very cheerful and very nice and I had a conversation although short ones with more than one member of staff while they were serving the mains and puddings. The staff were very polite and helpful my son being young decided after receiving his main he wanted a different meal and the staff were quite happy to get him something different and he then did the same with the pudding and again the staff quite happily went to fetch him what he wanted. As for the evening buffet I do have one complaint and that is it wasn't easy to find my children sandwiches they would eat because it was dark in the room but my question is this, if I couldn't see the filling how could you see finger marks and even if you could it quite easily have been a child before you in the line that caused them.
I also had a problem with my little monkey of a son going walkies during the night do and instantly all the staff rallied round and searched the hotel and the golf course. I am very grateful that a member of staff along with a guest found him play with some balls off a pool table . But the point is they made every effort including some running round the golf course.
The service was slow in terms of a normal meal but it wasn't a normal meal it was a wedding and I would like to see you serve 80 guests in less than 2 hours. I personally think that they did very well and really enjoyed my meal. The roast potatoes partially were to die for and I would come back and eat again purely for those.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Happy_visitor968
William H, General Manager at North Shore Hotel and Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2014

Thank you for your review, and note your remarks.
The Team are pleased you enjoyed your stay and
food. We will take onboard your room comments.
Look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 28 June 2012

me and my new wife gt married on the 9th of june at attershall castle not far from skegness , we went to the norht shore afterwards with some 80 guests for our wedding breakfast and evening buffet plus a nights stay in the honeymoon suite . I cant prise the staff higher they were all professional and smart as well as having great personalities to boot . the wedding breakfast was comprised of a 3 course meal with 2 diffrent menu choices per course followed by coffees and cake cutting . the food was excellent it really was . I had a herb crusted beef and could have easily finished all 80 other guests if theyd had it too . all the staff were extreamly accomodating even with all the kids that were there and the 'fussy eaters' Mark the hotel manager is a credit to best western. He helped with all the planning of the event and put up with numerous calls from the now Mrs D over the last year panicing and asking random questions leading up to the day to which he sorted out striaght away. it was good to know our big day was in safe hands :) the evening buffet was also fantastic again food spot on and well presented and better than we had expected . one of our guests during the night had her kids with her and had one to many shandys and lost track of one her kids much to everyones horror . all the staff immediatly dropped what they were doing and began to help this woman track down the kid shed lost , which we all thought was brilliant of them . they soon found him and returned him . we stayed in honeymoon suite for the night and again couldnt fault it .beds were comfy and there were large tv screens , coffee making gear and a huge bathroom . the veiws out the main window overlooked the beacha nd the sea which was lovely to wake up to and the other overlook the golf course again another lovely sight on a sunny morning . Id reccommend this hotel to anyone and even tho i live localy would stay again for a bit or R&R with the new wife . Id like to thank everyone involved who made our day so special

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pjdicko
William H, General Manager at North Shore Hotel and Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2015

Thank you for your review, and was delighted
to see your stay was a success.
I look forward to welcoming you back next year.
Your other comments have been noted, and
I would only say, it is always our goal to provide
the best stay possible for all of our guests.