“Excellent hotel”

Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Skegness
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel”
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Only had 3 days in the county hotel Skegness but was made very welcome and all the staff were all very good very helpful food and room very good will be going again very soon .we got a sea view room with out asking but would have paid extra

Room Tip: Sea view room if you can get one
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Gemma A, Manager at County Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Thank you very much for your recent review of your stay at the County Hotel, Skegness.

We certainly hope you will be back to stay with us again at some point in the future.

Kind Regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Carlton Colville, Suffolk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2013

This is an excellent hotel, professionally run by a good management team and efficient, friendly staff. Built in 1935 and initially privately run it is now part of the Grand UK Hotels Group. The food was way above average including a four course dinner as standard. Rooms are spacious and spotlessly clean and I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank JohnRSutton
Gemma A, Manager at County Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2013

I was pleased to read your positive comments and have passed these on to Ross and his team who will be pleased to read them. I would also like to thank you for your feedback relating to the restaurant being closed earlier than advertised, this has also been taken on board and fed back to the hotel team.

Kind Regards.
Reviewed 18 March 2013

We arrived in Skegness at 6.30pm on 14th March. I went to the County and asked if they had a room, the welcome was so friendly and we got the last twin room. Nothing was too much trouble. The ensuite was a little tired but everything worked well and was spotlessly clean. The beds were very comfortable and there was everything we needed for an overnight stay. Breakfast was really good and the service was excellent. We were offered a room for Friday too and if we'd had time we would have stayed another night. We had to vacate our room by 10am but were welcome to leave the car in the car park for the rest of the day and use the lounge facilities and have coffee for as long as we needed to during the day. Only negative was when we asked for a bar meal at 7.35pm after we arrived and, although the hotel info said they were served until 8, the kitchen had closed. We were however directed by the friendly staff to a nearby Indian Restaurant, the Ghandi, which was excellent. All in all a great night in a good old fashioned homely hotel. We would definitely go back if visiting Lincolnshire again. Thanks to Ross and his super staff.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Jubsie60
Andrew P, Hotel Group Operations Manager at County Hotel, responded to this review, 20 March 2013
Many thanks for your recent review.

I was please to read your positive comments and that you had enjoyed your stay. We usually serve food until 8pm so I will need to look into this problem.

I will pass your comments on to my GM who will be please to read them and pass on your positive feedback to his staff.

England
Reviewed 16 March 2013

My friend and I have just returned from a Line Dancing break at The County Hotel and had a wonderful time and definitely hope to return again next year.
Our room was spacious with plenty of storage space and everywhere was spotlessly clean.
The staff were very friendly and I'm sure that if we'd had any issues they would have been dealt with promptly.
A very welcome touch was that when we were dancing either during the day or in the evening jugs of water and glasses were always provided.
Many thanks, Ross and your team, hopefully we'll be back!

Room Tip: We were in room 47 which had a double and two single beds. Side view of the sea in the distance.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Joyce55555
Andrew P, Hotel Group Operations Manager at County Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Thanks you for your positive review.

I will forwad this on the Ross and his team who will be vey pleased to read about your stay.

Nuneaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Just returned from another great holiday at The County which is like staying with family - have been staying regularly for the last 10 years. As always nothing is too much trouble for the Manager Ross and the staff.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for your constructive review.

I was disapointed to read that one member of staff had let the team down and I will speak with management about this. Also apologies for the noise and disturbance I am sure this was a one off and will not happen again. I will speak with my general manager on the subjuect.

Once again many thanks for the good points as well as the contructive comments.

Kind reagrds
Kent
Reviewed 12 March 2013

I booked a single room over the telephone with a very friendly and couteous man who made the experience a pleasure.

When I arrived to what looked like a smart, art-deco building, the young lady with dark hair and glasses didn't offer the same welcome, being very formulaic in her duties, getting straight to the payment and not offering the basics like "Welcome to the Hotel", "How are you?" or "How was your journey?", which was quite disappointing after a long day of travel.

The room was spacious, very clean and organized and had a partial sea-view. Some sills and part of the shower room were cracked and worn but nothing of any great concern. The TV was excellent quality but annoyingly, there was only one working plug socket which was frustrating for this era for the average traveller with a multitude of gadgetry.

The next morning, I was awoken abruptly at around 8am by what sounded like a power saw/electric sander - I couldn't believe how loud it was; it didn't last very long, maybe just a few minutes but I was astonished that it was in use at that time of the morning. As I went back to sleep, I was then awakened at 8.20am by housekeeping knocking the door. They were perfectly polite when I reminded them what time it was and said they would come back later but I find it astonishing that someone would knock so early - there were no "Do not disturb" signs in the room either.

Blearly-eyed, I went to breakfast. The staff went a long way to brighten my experience with their genuinely friendly, professional service - breakfast was well-cooked and served quickly, no "wow" factor but all the ingredients were cooked well and of a good quality.

The next evening, I came in to find that none of the lights were working in my room, only the TV was working. After a long day, I contemplated just going to bed and dealing with it in the morning but I noticed some fuse switches above the door which I flipped on and off, which brought it back. Not a big thing but annoying all the same.

The rest of my stay was event-free and I have to say that I was bowled over by how kind, helpful, friendly and genuine the staff were; even when extremely busy, they were still kind, polite, helpful and all smiles. Overall, it was good value for off-season, B & B at £35.00 a night with a partial seaview; the niggles could easily have spoiled another holiday but I feel that it is an honestly run hotel and i'm sure things would have been seen too or put right if I had mentioned it.

With some adjustments, forethought and a little bit of modernization, this could easily be one of the best hotels in the area but for now, three out of five stars is a fair and honest reflection of my stay.

Room Tip: Rooms nearer the top of the hotel have partial sea-views.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Dunmall
Andrew P, Hotel Group Operations Manager at County Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2013
Thank you for your recent review.

It was disapointing to read that your welcome was not as good as the rest of the staff, I will speak with my general manager about the lady in question.

I was pleased to read the rest of your review and although there were some minor problems the overall experience was good and I will inform Ross and his team of the good and the bad.

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2013

Our sequence dance class has booked an annual weekend at this hotel for nearly 20 years. it has always been welcoming, clean and comfortable. The English breakfast and the 4 course dinner have sufficient choice to suit all tastes. Ross,the current manager, has been there for 8 years. He leads from the front and ensures that our event runs smoothly. This year there were over 60 of us which put a strain on the staff but they coped magnificently. Seating in the ballroom was rearranged without any fuss when requested so that part of our group did not have to sit in the annexe. Problems are always sorted out quickly. Over the years we have seen various refurbishments carried out when necessary. It is not 5 star but neither are the prices.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Andrew P, Hotel Group Operations Manager at County Hotel, responded to this review, 7 March 2013
Thank you for your recent review.

It is nice to know that when guests enjoy themselves they are willing to share that information as well as the ones who post constructive and non constructive comments.

I will pas on your review to Ross and his team who will be very please to know your thoughts.

Once agin thank you