“good value count on the county hotel”
Review of County Hotel

County Hotel
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Skegness
midlands
“good value count on the county hotel”
Reviewed 15 December 2010

we have stayed a number of times at the county with friends family and on our own each time we have been welcomed by ross the manager with a big smile and made to feel at home. location is good for the beach when we stop with the grandchildren shopping when staying with friends and lovely walks over the dunes when staying on our own. somthing for every one young or old and the quit not so old treat your self to a relaxing break at the county and enjoy all that skegness has to offer

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2010

Although the manager was very welcoming, our two night stay was spoilt by the sleep quality. The mattress was very old, worn and almost impossible to sleep on. I did not sleep at all the first night. Also which did not help was the pillows were paper thin and the bedding consisted of a throw and a sheet. What happened to duvets!!! As the weather was down to -3 a duvet would have been very welcome. The hairdryer was secured down as was the mirror, which meant it was impossible to use the hairdryer and use the mirror at the same time as the flex was far too short..
The food was basic but acceptable and the staff friendly.
I would not recommend this hotel based on the bed situation.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JillCambs
Dublin\Meath
Reviewed 1 November 2010

It really makes me laugh when I read some of the reviews of this hotel that go along the lines of “the poached eggs where too small so the hotel should be immediately knocked down and all the employees publicly garrotted on Skegness Pier ”.

We paid £50 a night for a family room that could have comfortably slept four adults with breakfast included. It’s exceptional value for what you get. Sure, the TV in the room should have been on the Antiques Roadshow (I never thought I’d ever live to see an actual working Associated Rediffusion–brand TV), but what are you expecting? The Four Seasons Dubai? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically…

Those who say this hotel is dated really don’t know their Art Deco from their Ant and Dec. The building is a prime-example of a rapidly disappearing 1930’s Bauhaus-inspired British style of commercial architecture and has preserved many of its original features, both internal and external.

It’s hard to say whether this preservation has been on the part of neglect or design but the overall impression is one of an ageing dowager, long past her prime, but one who still has a few family jewels hidden away in case of hard times and with many interesting stories left to tell.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank DublinGuy1970
leicestershire
Reviewed 10 September 2010

It has taken me a while to write this review as I needed time to calm down from my experience.
On checking in I was unlucky enough to have arrived at the same time as a large group. The manager dealt with those before me and then proceeded to ignore me. When he did finally acknowledge my existance he was too friendly, pretending to know my business. Having checked in I went to my room. To say I felt like I had kicked my gran out of her room in a residential home would be putting it mildly. It was awful! The tv, older than me, did not even switch on. The plug holes were full of hair and some other type of gunk. The toilet did not flush properly and when I tried to have a shower, not only was the flow the slowest I have ever encountered but upon entering the shower the shower head lept from the wall and came crashing down on my head.
I stay in hotels fairly regularly and I wouldn't say that I am particularly fussy but I have never felt so awful.
At breakfast the gentleman who checked me in then proceeded to quiz me on how late I had been out the night before and how drunk I was, I am not sure that the other guests really wanted to know but he made sure that they did!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
7 Thank tallymb
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2010

my mother & myself stayed overnight after a day in skegness & i can honestly say it was fantastic, the service was first class, the room was spotless, there was staff on reception overnight which meant you could go out and come in when you wanted, ross the manager made us feel like one of the family, he couldnt have done enough for us, cant wait to go back again, thank you to all staff at county hotel

• Stayed August 2010
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2010

Stayed there with a few friends for a night out, and I would say it's perfect...... The main man at the reception could not do enough to help, Bit retro but who cares when you only sleep there! Breakfast was fine....

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Aussie in Europe
Reviewed 9 August 2010

The best feature of this hotel would be its welcoming, friendly service - from check in, to breakfast, to just walking past reception - there was always a friendly remark offered to all guests. Good location, in easy walking distance to the attractions of Skeggie. The hotel is clean and well maintained throughout. The décor is dated (though this adds to the charm of the hotel), but it is all in perfect condition. The TV in the room was reminiscent of when I was a little girl and you only had the terrestrial channels...but again this somehow added to the charm of the hotel! Loved having a teapot in the room in addition to the kettle and teacups.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family