“Fantastic”

The Balmoral Guest House
Ranked #6 of 92 Skegness B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We picked this B&B purely because it had a family room sleeping 5 (2 adults, 3 children) and we were not disappointed. It is by far the best B&B we have ever stayed in. The room was spotlessly clean and immaculate and the whole building from what I could see was exceptionally spotless. The room was fitted out lovely making the most of the space for 5 of us. The owners were very friendly and we even checked in a little early as the room was ready.

The guest house is located in a fabulous spot on South Parade very close to everything going on in Skegness. The breakfast next morning was one of the best I've ever had, plenty of choice in cereals and there were even yogurts displayed on a bed on ice to keep them cool for the breakfast period which were scrummy. There was a coffee machine and tea making facilities so you could just help yourself and the breakfast came hot and perfectly cooked. We stayed Sunday 25 May 2014 overnight for the bank holiday and the guest house was fully booked and we all seemed to come for breakfast around the same time and still everyone got theirs quickly, we didn't have to wait very long at all.

I've stayed in some shabby B&B's in my time that I would not want my children to stay in and this was not one of them, my faith has been restored, I would without a doubt return to The Balmoral again and again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
alisonjgar, Owner at The Balmoral Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Thank you for your glowing review of our 'Family room' and our guest house it really is very much appreciated .

It was a genuine pleasure to have you and your family stay with and we really hope you will come back and visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

My Husband and I stayed one night over the late May Bank Holiday weekend to visit my elderly parents in the area. We had to take the last available room which was a family room at £100 for the night, thankfully this did include breakfast which I must say had plenty to offer. Upon arrival we met Ian who was extremely hospitable, warm and friendly. We were given our key and told our room was at the top, which was up a few dozen steep stairs at the rear. When we entered the room, first impressions were it was clean, however compact and we were a little disappointed. The double bed itself was comfortable, however we felt rather claustrophobic as there was another double bed with a single above it with a ladder as bunk beds in a rather small space. Although we had our own 'en suite' shower room there were a couple of things that we were not entirely happy with, the main one being that over the whole of our stay we both used (or tried to) have 2 showers each, and the shower just kept stopping and cutting out. The water pressure was clearly inappropriate with the amount of guests trying to do the same especially first thing in the morning to get ready for breakfast deadline at 8:15am. On both occasions I was standing in the shower covered in shower gel and unable to rinse myself which made me very irritable and took the edge off the weekend break that both my husband and I were so looking forward to enjoying. The other issue was the sink overflow vent was filthy. We had previously arranged with Alison (whom we never met nor were ever greeted by) that we could check out an hour later than the 10am checkout, however, we decided we just wanted to go asap and left before the others at just after breakfast at 9am. Summary, lovely looking guest house, great location, pristine downstairs and very welcoming. Our room, no view, very hot, very cramped and we thought very expensive for what we are used to paying and for the amenities. We prefer larger hotels, usually with king size beds with spacious bedrooms/suites. However, we would recommend the Balmoral as the pros may out weigh the cons for most, the best rooms would be the front ones with sea views.

Room Tip: Choose room at front with sea view, preferably not a family room.
6  Thank Marie C

I'm sorry you felt disappointed with 'The Family Room' indeed it is not great value for a couple but it is exceptionally good value for a family of five for whom it is meant!

I was a little puzzled that you booked the room through booking.com three weeks earlier for just two people, but it became clear from your later emais that you wanted a reduction in the price as it was just for two people and you booked it because it was our last available room and you didn't wish to stay anywhere else.

I explained due to it being a Bank Holiday and very busy I could book that room very easily to a family so I couldn't offer you a reduction in the price, however I could offer you a full refund if you cancelled it through the booking agents thus freeing it up for someone else to book,you declined this offer, I'm afraid there was very little else I could do.

I understand you feel upset paying this price for the two of you. but it really was your choice to do so...

I think the matters you raise probably are a little embellished due to these facts, but I take on board your comments and thank you for your review.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Welcome on arrival ,exceptional clean rooms, nice bar good prices, excellent breakfast, great shower , good view. Our only problem, and its a small one, the bed was only a double and we are used to a king so that was why the sleep quality was not 100%
Other wise perfect we will try to get back here again. Our first time staying over in Skegness.Will be ideal for an overnighter to see a show at the Embassy theatre.

Room Tip: Large room with sea view super
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
alisonjgar, Owner at The Balmoral Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a positive review, we are so glad you enjoyed your stay. Good to hear you made it home safely on those great bikes with all that rain!!! We do hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We have just returned from a stay here the owners couldnt do enough for you.We arrived earlier than we thought we would and was suprised at being able to check in.
the room was fantastic we had a lovely english breakfast there is a bar if you should want to sit and relax before going to bed , we will definatly be using this bed and breakfast again see you soon

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
alisonjgar, Owner at The Balmoral Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to give us such a great review, it really is very much appreciated and we certainly hope to see you again.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Let me just say this about first impressions: If this small hotel was up for sale as a private house, I'd buy it! The new owners and welcoming hosts Ian and Alison have worked very hard over the winter to make this a comfortable, homely, clean and tastefully decorated home-from-home. We stayed in the first floor bedroom with the sea-view bay window on 1st May. It was warm, bright, ultra-clean, nice real-wood furniture with plenty of storage for a long stay. The bed was the most comfortable we have encountered anywhere, and the decoration was extremely tasteful - even down the the glass chandelier setting off the original high ceilings. The en-suite (shower) was bright and roomy and nicely tiled, and I am sure all the other rooms are of the same high standard.

Downstairs there is a cosy dining room (with a lovely fireplace and carved oak dresser), which opens off a comfortable and inviting lounge, and behind this is a small bar area, all of which has been so well done as to make you feel comfortable straight away. We just loved it, and the wonderful breakfast finished off our stay a treat. At the price (with breakfast included) it was excellent value, and the location couldn't be better.

This is the only place we will stay if in future we visit Skeggy again, thanks to our friendly hosts and the comfortable atmosphere.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
alisonjgar, Owner at The Balmoral Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you for taking the time to give such a glowing review of The Balmoral it really is very much appreciated.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

we stayed for three nights and could not have been looked after any better. very very comfortable bed a lovely breakfast and would stay again.the owner met us at the door and carried our suite cases to our room

Room Tip: we stayed in room 5 top floor very quite and a sea view but no lift so not for the infirm.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
alisonjgar, Owner at The Balmoral Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

So kind of you to take the time to review The Balmoral, we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

We stayed here as a family on 18.04.14, what an absolutely beautiful b&b, the room was of a very good size for myself, my partner and our two teenage children, the owners were lovely and the breakfast service in the morning was fantastic, i would definately recommend this b&b for anyone going on a trip to skegness.... we will be returning :)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
alisonjgar, Owner at The Balmoral Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review The Balmoral. We are so glad you your partner and children enjoyed your stay with us, we do hope you will come back and stay with us again.