US$123
US$89
Priceline
  • Beachfront
The Grand Hotel(Skegness)
All reviewsbuffet breakfastsea viewsingle roomsunday carverycoach triplovely hotelsouth paradeone night staytown centreenjoyable staylovely roomclock towersea frontweekend breakmy mumevening entertainmentgreat weekend
Reviewed 24 February 2013

My Wife Myself and our dog,had a very pleasent stay in room 408.This room is on the 4th floor and is serviced by the lift.this room as a sitting room, double bedroom plus ensuit bathroom,it allso as a seperate shower (wet room).Breakfast was a bit manic (two coach loads were staying, but we timed it better the next day).The food was self service,so great for large and small eaters and very hot which in larger hotels can be a problem.At night we ate in the Bollywood restarent,indian or english, mix and match if you wish.The staff were all very young very nice and plesent,but all acted as they had just had a telling off.but all in all we are looking forward to our next stay. The bonus for us is we can take our dog, as The Vine Hotel on vine road no longer welcomes dogs, A CRYING SAME.

1  Thank John K
Reviewed 23 February 2013

We have just returned from a five day break at the Royal. The food was excellent, the hotel spotless the staff very friendly and really helpful. I would definitely stay there again and have no hesitation in recommending the hotel to anyone. The only minus was we were downstairs so the view from the window wasn't up to much.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ann M
Reviewed 20 February 2013

We recently stayed at the Royal hotel for my partners birthday. We arrived early to leave our car in the car park to be told by the receptionist that our room was ready and we would be able to check in straight away. The receptionist was very pleasant and helpful and she arranged for a table for evening meal for us. Our room was on the second floor, overlooking the sea with it's own little balcony, it was clean, fresh and also lovely and warm and had all the things we needed for our stay.

In the evening we had a drink in the bar before our meal and then moved on to the Bollywood restaurant to eat. I had an Indian meal and my partner had a english bistro meal, both were well presented and absolutely delicious, it was nice to be able to get good english food in an Indian restaurant, as often you only get very basic offerings. My partners dessert even came with a candle in, which I thought was a lovely little touch, especially considering i'd only mentioned in passing it was her birthday to the receptionist when we checked in. The service in the restaurant was both swift and friendly.

We had a very good nights sleep and came down for breakfast. A member of staff greeted and seated us in the restaurant and fetched us tea and coffee, they seemed very busy that morning, but still were very bubbly and helpful. The breakfast itself was buffet style, it was well laid out and there was plenty of choice.

Check out was a breeze, with a very efficient young man on the desk, we asked if we could leave our car while we took a walk round Skegness and this was no problem whatsoever.

All in all we had a great stay, the staff are a credit to the hotel, it really made my partners birthday treat that little bit more special.

2  Thank Micheal S
Reviewed 17 February 2013

I have never written a review for a hotel before but felt it was necessary to warn others of the appalling conditions that you will be met with at The Royal Hotel, Skegness.

My partner and I decided to visit friends over in Lincolnshire for the weekend and so booked in for one night at The Royal Hotel to use as a base. Comparing prices (£58 for one night in double room) of the well known chain hotels we decided to try the hotel as the pictures on the website portrayed a well looked after pleasant hotel. On arrival, the hotel is set in pleasant surrounds with an impressive façade as you would expect from an establishment carring a Royal title. Reception staff were pleasant upon check at which point, unfortunately is where the good experience ended.

On being directed to our room, we walked down a series of stairs which lead us to our room. On entering the room the decoration was best described as different shades of sick! The room was cold and damp was clearly set in as the wallpaper had begun to lift in a number of places. The ceiling had been sporadically artexed which lead you to feel like you were in a cave.

The most laughable aspect was the bathroom which was best described as a 4 ft x 3ft converted cupboard which housed a shower and toilet. The view from the window was the front bumper of a car in the car park which met you at eye level. The room had scuff marks and dirty carpet in numerous locations.

I always believe in offering a hotel a chance to put things right so I called reception and explained that were we had been placed was atrocious and wasn't fit for habitation. The lady then returned to the line and stated abruptly that no other rooms were available. I therefore requested an immediate refund which they obliged.

I got the impression on arrival at reception that this was a regular occurrence and there attitude to it was appalling. The manager could barely bring herself to ask what the problem was to which I calmly obliged a response. She almost agreed with my assessment and DIDN'T EVEN APOLOGISE!

We then left the hotel and drove to Lincoln to stay in a well know chain hotel which was like stepping into heaven in comparison at only £5 more than The Royal.

I really cannot urge you enough not to visit this hotel, the disappointment you will face is untold. I believe that the management are aware of its poor state. Only a period of lengthy refurbishment could bring it up to any sort of habitable standard.

In its current state, I would compare it to almost hostel conditions.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

7  Thank Chris S
Reviewed 23 January 2013

This was a last minute booking for us and we only stayed overnight as we'd gone to Skegness to collect something and didn't want to do the 3.5 hour drive back to back (we live in Cheshire) and because the rate was so good (£39), we decided to stay over. On arrival, on a bitterly cold, snowy day, we were told we'd been upgraded to a 1st floor room due to them being quiet at this time of year, which I thought was very good of them seeing as we'd not paid much for the room in the 1st place.
We were in a twin room with en-suite bathroom and found the room to be of a very good size and we liked the fact that it was old fashioned and had been decorated very sympathetically. It was lovely and warm and the only complaint we found was that there was no radiator in the bathroom, which of course made it feel very cold, but we found that by leaving the room door open, that allowed it to warm up enough to feel comfortable enough to use.
I suffer from nerve damage to my spine and found my single bed to be too hard for myself, however my husband said his bed was fine. I put a call down to reception and within 10 minutes the housekeeper came up and said she'd give me as many duvet's as I'd like to help make it the mattress softer to sleep on for me. She was very pleasant and made sure that I was very happy before leaving, but also insisted that I called her again should I decide I needed anything further. Not often you find hotel staff willing to go that extra mile for you and she did this all with a lovely smile on her face.
The room and bathroom were both spotlessly clean and the towels provided by the hotel were of a good thick quality as well. I also liked the fact that both the bed sheets, duvets and towels, were all white in colour, as I always feel that this shows that a hotel is more than happy with their cleanliness and doesn't try to hide anything behind jazzy coloured materials, that can hide a multitude of sins; so this was a huge plus in our eyes.
Everywhere we went whilst staying in the hotel was very clean and tidy and there were plenty of places you could sit to read, or chat with other residents.
Because it was so cold out, we decided to eat in the hotel restaurant and we chose the Bistro. The Bistro menu was being served in the Bollywood restaurant, due to it being quiet and this again was kept spotlessly clean. I had the fish and chips in a beer batter and my husband chose the carvery, which was turkey. He said the meat was lovely and plenty of it and his vegetables were cooked to perfection, so his mange tout were lovely and crisp and it was all of a good quality. Both our meals, a coke and a glass of water, came to only £14, so that was exceptional value as well.
The next day we went down to breakfast in the Ambassador Suite, which was a nice airy, large room. You had a choice of toast, fresh juices, cereals, fruit and a full English if you wished and any eggs were cooked fresh to order. My husband chose the full English with poached eggs and I decided to have poached eggs and toast. Both of us said how good our eggs were and we could taste just how fresh they were too and they were cooked beautifully. I had a pot of coffee and hubby had a pot of tea, so we started the day and our journey back home, very well fed. We'd read a terrible review of the hotels breakfast with someone complaining that it was a 'self service job' and that they had to 'ask' for eggs. Well I'm sorry but if you can't get off your bum to go and serve yourself in a buffet style restaurant and also want to choose HOW your bacon is cooked, be that fried, or grilled, then I'm afraid you need to book yourself into a 5* establishment and then be happy to pay a lot of money for the privilege. We've been fortunate in our lives to of stayed in some 4* and 5* hotels and also some 3* ones, all over the world and we found The Royal to be of a very good standard and that the prices charged are very reasonable as well and that they offer very good value for money.
All in all, we'd not hesitate to use The Royal again should we be in the area and due to our successful stay, my parents have just booked a 4 night dinner, bed & breakfast package in March and if they're welcomed as nicely as we were and have as good a room as we did, I'm sure they'll have a wonderful and comfortable stay.
Well done The Royal for proving that you can still play a good tune on an old fiddle!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple