“Below already low expectations!”
Review of The Royal Hotel

The Royal Hotel
Ranked #8 of 25 Hotels in Skegness
Reviewed 8 June 2014

My family and I are regulars to Skegness to visit family and have stayed in a number of hotels, this has to be one of the worse we have stayed in. The room intoxicating bleach oder as least reassured me that the room had been cleaned however it did not look like it! Pubes or small curly hairs in my bed and stains on the duvet. Bed was extremely hard, however I suppose eau to their own, this was not my style of mattress. Bar area was nice, and breakfast was slightly more than edible. I tried to sit on the toilet and had to sit at an angle as the bathroom was so small I did not fit facing forwards. The room didn't have a hair dryer, I mean what hotel doesn't have a hairdryer, so I had to walk to reception, which was quite a trek with soaking wet hair and pay £5 to borrow one. It also really felt that they were doing me a favour staying there and the receptionists were rude and miserable. To sum up, awful staff, disgustingly pungent room, lacked basic hotel requirements, and generally just not a very nice place to stay! My advice, do not stay here!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank HotelContemplater

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Just got back from staying at the Royal. Walked in and upon first impressions, the place was tired. Got to our room and it was tiny with a three quarter bed and what can only be described as the tiniest bathroom I've ever seen. God knows how they shoe horned a shower in. The bathroom also had a dreadful odour of blocked drains. You could also sit on the toilet and if you straightened your legs, you would be in the shower tray.
Not the cleanest either. The previous occupants had left one of their tablets on the floor which was still there and hadn't been cleared up. The hand towel left on the bed was stained. We thought for the sake of a night, just put up with it although at the astronomical price of £85 a night you should get better.
Got back to the room at around 11pm and our room was directly above the function room where a wedding was going on. Loud music was playing and loads of screaming and shouting so we thought put the tv on to drown out the sound. The tv which worked earlier now did not work. Every channel said no signal. My husband had had enough so went to reception and they apologised and moved us although by this time it was 11.30pm. The next room was ok to be honest. Tv still didn't work which i thought was a basic in all hotels.
Only good point was that the breakfast was good.
I've stayed in better bed and breakfasts. Absolute rip off.
If you can, avoid.

Room Tip: Book into another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Chalkers2000
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed 2nites in may.very small room with a tiny bathroom.could not even bend down or turn round in shower and if you happened to be on the larger side there is no way you would fit into shower.tv reception went any time you walked past and was always because of room size.service of our room was a joke.no bed made.no bathroom cleaned.all they did was empty bin.replenish tea bags.took all dirty towels away and left 1bath towel.luckily laundry room on same floor so helped ourself.room and bar smelt of stale smoke.only good thing was the breakfast and the location.will not be back.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank debbi123
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Haven't stayed at the hotel as were residents of Skegness but I know friends who stay there regularly and have never had a problem. But we would definatly recommend the Sunday Carvery and the Bollywood restaurant, we haven't found a better Sunday Carvery in Skegness at £5.95 and you get a loyalty card as well, after 4 meals it entitles you to a free sweet and your ninth Carvery is free.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank barbfan
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

As always had a fab time. We mainly come here to bring our two dogs who also enjoy themselves as the beach is less than 5 mins walk. The breakfast and food in general is very good and excellent value for money. Janet on the front desk is a credit to the Hotel always so friendly and pleased to see all four of us!!! It's like home from home our room which we have every time we visit is large and always clean. We shall still come for our little breaks this is our 5th time.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sals60
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Not been to Skegness before but heard about it !! Anyway, I thought we better look at the top end Hotels based on 'hear say' and I took the TA reviews and booked it.
It really deserves an 'Excellent' based on the 'superior room' we booked (326) overlooking the sea, with a walk out balcony , sitting area with huge flat screen , huge bed, seperate bathroom and seperate shower room too including the best English breakfast I have had in a long time. However, the jewel in the Royal crown, was the Bollywood Indian restraunt ! Fantastic. All at a price that would make you blush, You should not be disappointed and Skeg' is better than I thought too.

Room Tip: 1st floor front rooms have sea view and balconies
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank jr_walker70
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Still here whilst wrting this. Would just like to say after reading the negative reviews we were a little worried. However, could not fault anything. Staff courteous and very accomodating. I couldn't get tv signal on arrival this was resolved straight away. Evening meal and breakfat fantastic. I honestly feel sme people want 1st class servive on a shoestring budget. Would defentatly recommend and will return.

• Stayed: May 2014